Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Banana Republic safari hat [mystery solved]

Doc Glockster

One of the Regulars
...I have to say my Banana Republic safari hat is an excellent felt hat. The crown is not as tall as I like now .... but for a safari style it is great!

I concur. I'm thinking...could I send mine off to a custom hat maker and have them reverse engineer a spare for me?

I really love the hat. One of the best eBay finds ever.

Doc Glockster

One of the Regulars
Yep.. I do know Major Moore made a safari hat as close to mine as I have seen. It did not have the vents at the time but now as he owns the vent die...

I know I'm new here, but can you tell me who he is? Maybe a link to his site? I'd love to have a spare made but I'd like to get a quote before sending the hat off to have measurements taken.

RBH

Bartender
I know I'm new here, but can you tell me who he is? Maybe a link to his site? I'd love to have a spare made but I'd like to get a quote before sending the hat off to have measurements taken.
No problem...
http://www.buckaroohatters.com/
Except for the size Mike could use my hat.
I plan on taking it over next time I am at the shop. [to show him the vent pattern]
That way he can see what the hat looks like.
And Mike and Rocky can get it as close to original as possible.

edit to add...

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...BONANZA!-The-Hats-that-Major-Mike-Moore-Makes

Last edited:

Doc Glockster

One of the Regulars

Cool. Thanks.

I may go the lazy route and cruise eBay looking for another one for a week or two, but after that I may send mine off to have it copied.

The original was made a little lopsided, so having a nice straight copy to keep as a spare while I wear out the lopsided one would be great.

Still, the one off eBay was only $35. Before I spend $200+ for a "perfect" one I want to exhaust the cheap route.

Mine really is a well-made hat despite the fact that it's a little crooked. The quality reminds me of vintage Stetsons.

Last edited:

Landman

One Too Many
IMG_3030_zps2286021b.jpg

IMG_3031_zps97b46c38.jpg

Rusty,

If you look closely at the vent holes on G. Durand's two hats they are slightly different. The Akubra looks like it is missing a punch hole on the lower left. The spacing and curvature of the Akubra looks a little different too. I bet your assumption of Beaver Brand copying Akubra's punch is correct.

g.durand

One Too Many
Rusty,

If you look closely at the vent holes on G. Durand's two hats they are slightly different. The Akubra looks like it is missing a punch hole on the lower left. The spacing and curvature of the Akubra looks a little different too. I bet your assumption of Beaver Brand copying Akubra's punch is correct.

Landman--I looked more closely and you are correct. There is a difference. I do remember that when I bought the Akubra it was a closeout sale, and the BR branded hat I bought was new, possibly indicating the Akubra was older stock. So it could be true that Akubra supplied BR with "bush" hats until BR found a domestic manufacturer (Beaver Band) for their safari hats, and Beaver Brand copied the vent die. I'm curious to see what Rusty can find out.

Last edited:

RBH

Bartender
I was able to make it to Mikes shop today.
Mr Richard Treadway was there and I was able to ask him about the vent stamp Mike bought at the auction.
Mr Richard told me he started with Beaver Brand [Langenberg Hats] in 1979.
He told me he made the vent stamp in question.
And after he saw the Banana Republic safari hat he said ''yes that is one of our hats''.
He told me a few stories about the making of the hat for them....
Its nice to be able to find info about our hats, even better when you find it from someone that had a hand in making it.

Mr Richard checking out the vent stamp
7r2g.jpg

Going over the safari hat
0i34.jpg

It was great seeing Mr. Richard again, he is a font of knowledge and a fine gentleman to boot!!

RBH

Bartender
I cant speak for the Borsalino, but Richards wife told me yesterday that she [she worked in the sewing department for over 20 years] thought she remembered when they got rid of the sweat stamp die for BR. {after they stopped making hats for them}
She said she thought that the liner stamp may have been back with the liner department when the auction happened.

From what Richard told me if he remembered correctly was that Mel from BR told them what type vent die he wanted and Richard then made the one that Beaver Brand had.
That is all I can go on.

RBH

Bartender
I believe that Borso was made in the USA.
So...is it possible that Langenberg made the Borsalino also?
I do not believe that many companies beside Langenberg would do custom work.
Mr Richard told me yesterday that they would make anything for anyone and never put their name [Langenberg, Beaver Brand]on it.
But he could tell it was theirs by the size tag, the way the liner looked ect.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran