Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bandanas? (no politics, please)

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
I wore this bandana as a face mask back in March before I could get ahold of any sewn cloth face masks.
IMG_5852.jpeg

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Jonsey, that's such an improvement on the medical or severe leather masks I've seen, which look hideously ugly to me. Fortunately I have not had to wear a mask yet and you don't seem them much in my town at all.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Jonsey, that's such an improvement on the medical or severe leather masks I've seen, which look hideously ugly to me. Fortunately I have not had to wear a mask yet and you don't seem them much in my town at all.
I wore a mask frequently at the beginning of the shut down to try to encourage everyone to take things seriously. We had a night time curfew, travel restrictions with mandatory 14 day quarantine, along with a well adhered to stay at home order, which I followed strictly not going anywhere for many weeks. We have not had any covid-19 cases on the island for around 5 weeks now and as things open up, I only wear masks for shopping.

Sonero

Practically Family
Unfortunately I live in a nation of idiots where people think the illuminati are building 5g towers and chem trails are destroying our health. The "virus" has been created to rule the masses and aid in a George Orwell theme of mind control.

So yeah while nobody likes to wear a mask and we are at over 100,000k dead it still makes no sense to wear one at least for 50% of our citizens in high risk areas.

I'll be damned. I just ordered a new shemagh today. I need one in every color.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I wore a mask frequently at the beginning of the shut down to try to encourage everyone to take things seriously. We had a night time curfew, travel restrictions with mandatory 14 day quarantine, along with a well adhered to stay at home order, which I followed strictly not going anywhere for many weeks. We have not had any covid-19 cases on the island for around 5 weeks now and as things open up, I only wear masks for shopping.

Yeah - we had a shut down for three months and managed to arrest the virus here. Fortunately only 102 people have died here (so far). Proactive measures do work, it seems. Minimal mask wearing. I suspect we are only at the start of this issue.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Hey, Jonesy. I just wanted to ask what kind of sunglasses those are. I just received yesterday a pair of Ray Ban Round Fleck Sunglasses that I really like. Also, I envy your living in a place where sanity seems to reign
They are prescription photochromic or transition lenses. I have some G35 polarized gold frame round RayBans coming in the mail.
People have all the same human problems here as most places, but the low population density, physical beauty, and closeness to nature certainly are a plus.

Edward

Bartender
A bandana or a shemagh (might get one of those for Winter, though over here they can have political overtones) can be a pretty cool way to cover over an industrial mask which lacks on the aesthetics front... If mask-wearing continues to be a part of the global response to covid-19, I have a feeling we'll see many more of these sorts of things on the market. Here in the UK, it is as of Monday past a legal requirement to wear a mask on public transport, which is bound to up demand.

Recently bought myself some very cool, LE Japanese bandanas with a "m************ P*****-off Cat" on them. A bit naughty, but the way I roll 'em up to wear, it'll never be seen, so it's my little joke with the world.

Sonero

Practically Family
Recently bought myself some very cool, LE Japanese bandanas with a "m************ P*****-off Cat" on them. A bit naughty, but the way I roll 'em up to wear, it'll never be seen, so it's my little joke with the world.
If you look on Etsy or Amazon for a seller named Casual Box or Charm they have some interesting Japanese bandanas and head wraps. I purchased a few myself. Excellent quality. Made in Japan.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
The last tiem I think I can remember seeing men wearing a bandana as neckwerar in mainstream fashion was probably Bros in 1989, and their fashion imapct (as a boyband) was primarily upon women.

I forgot about that band until now. Thanks alot Edward.

It is the summer of 1989. I am on a five-week trip to England to visit friends and relatives. Friends in Whiston, Merseyside near Liverpool have a daughter, Lindsay, who, along with her bestie Reenee, are massive, and I do mean MASSIVE fans of Bros.

"They are doing a show at Wembley in London. We could not get tickets, but there is a "Bros Shop" set up nearby, could we go"?

A 22 year old Canadian about to join the RCAF takes two thirteen year old girls to London from Liverpool by British Rail, return in one day, to visit the Bros Shop.

They each bought themselves a pair of Bros socks.

I was given this button as a souvenir. I have no idea where the City of Brampton, Ontario button came from, nor why it ever entered my mind to put either on a stuffed Christmas penguin.

Or to keep the penguin:

Bros.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve carried a cotton bandana in my pocket for years, mostly for wiping sweat from a hat’s sweatband or my own bald head or around my neck while working outdoors. The bandanas started pulling other duty when the need for masks arose. I found that the masks we bought commercially and some we had made just did not fit me well and anything around my ears became uncomfortable quickly.

A few months ago I had picked up a couple of bandana styled Wild Rags from a Wyoming Traders dealer. 34” square silk and they come in a multitude of colors and designs. After trying one of them out as a mask I found the silk to be more comfortable than the cotton and the extra size allowed for greater coverage and tying options. The silk breaths well and dissipates the moisture quicker than cotton; which I found to be important when I had to do an overnighter with her in the hospital the week VUMC opened back up for procedurals. One was not required in the room but was of course mandatory elsewhere. And there, elsewhere is a helluva long way from wherever you are.

The problem I’ve found is I like them well enough to keep adding some different colors and designs. The cotton has returned to regular handkerchief duty.
62E1EDD5-DBA9-4A27-8E34-DEB4CEDEA7B2.jpeg
02465AC1-3485-4C55-960F-FCC579A4F41F.jpeg

And you can always dress one up with your favorite western slide.
AA8CBEA6-3819-4E7B-AA32-1DDCF68883F7.jpeg

Edward

Bartender
By the way somewhat off topic. Have you read the new Anna Wintour book Front Row by Jerry Openhiemer ? I think you would like it. If you were local I would have given you my copy somehow.

I haven't ,but I think I saw it in the local library.... I must have a look at their online collection.

Edward

Bartender
My latest bandana arrived at the office yesterday. This one I bought actually more for the leather scarf-ring, as it works out much cheaper than most I've seen on Etsy (especially by the time the shipping is included).

Very nicely packaged and presented:

1680081657352.jpeg

1680081705080.jpeg

The brand is 'Red Tornado' . I had originally ordered a different colour via their eBay sales. A beautiful brownish-red:

1680081777814.png

(Their photo, not mine).

Alas, the red was out of stock. They contacted me very quickly - and very apologetically - about this, and offering either to send the blue, or a refund. I could have gone either way, but in the end decided to accept the blue. Very glad I did. The price was worth it for the leather ring alone (total price, including shipping to the UK, was USD18.99), but the bandana itself is very, very nice. Thin cotton, as is typical, but just as robust as any of the bandanas I've had at this 'affordable' end of the market. Much smoother, really lovely. The blue colour didn't look so special in their photos, but in person it's a beautiful, China blue.

Ebay seller is "Lovejoylife", https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/outdoorpeaker They seem to be another one of these businesses seller retro military-style / retro workwear style businesses that are springing up in the Far East. They are now down to one of the blue designs only, no red left according to their updated sales. Unfortunately, from experience, this means they may well not have them again.... I will, however, be keeping an eye on them just in case...

Jasonissm

Practically Family
My latest bandana arrived at the office yesterday. This one I bought actually more for the leather scarf-ring, as it works out much cheaper than most I've seen on Etsy (especially by the time the shipping is included).

Very nicely packaged and presented:

View attachment 502691
View attachment 502692

The brand is 'Red Tornado' . I had originally ordered a different colour via their eBay sales. A beautiful brownish-red:

View attachment 502693

(Their photo, not mine).

Alas, the red was out of stock. They contacted me very quickly - and very apologetically - about this, and offering either to send the blue, or a refund. I could have gone either way, but in the end decided to accept the blue. Very glad I did. The price was worth it for the leather ring alone (total price, including shipping to the UK, was USD18.99), but the bandana itself is very, very nice. Thin cotton, as is typical, but just as robust as any of the bandanas I've had at this 'affordable' end of the market. Much smoother, really lovely. The blue colour didn't look so special in their photos, but in person it's a beautiful, China blue.

Ebay seller is "Lovejoylife", https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/outdoorpeaker They seem to be another one of these businesses seller retro military-style / retro workwear style businesses that are springing up in the Far East. They are now down to one of the blue designs only, no red left according to their updated sales. Unfortunately, from experience, this means they may well not have them again.... I will, however, be keeping an eye on them just in case...
The eBay seller is a reseller so they may not have the full stock run.

Here is their official Aliexpress store: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003215803151.html?spm=a2g0o.store_pc_groupList.8148356.5.51213c55lkUisf&pdp_npi=2@dis!USD!US $19.92!US $5.76!!!!!@21038ede16801398674842794eda22!12000024699676796!sh

Looks like plenty of stock and you can buy both the leather ring and bandanas separately even.

Edward

Bartender
The eBay seller is a reseller so they may not have the full stock run.

Here is their official Aliexpress store: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003215803151.html?spm=a2g0o.store_pc_groupList.8148356.5.51213c55lkUisf&pdp_npi=2@dis!USD!US $19.92!US $5.76!!!!!@21038ede16801398674842794eda22!12000024699676796!sh

Looks like plenty of stock and you can buy both the leather ring and bandanas separately even.

Ah! I didn't think to go looking on there - might well do. I've never used Aliexpress for anything 'big', but it's been really good for little bits and pieces I've found. The one seller who did give me problems, the dispute resolution system was very effective.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko