Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Banjo or Coober

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I think it entirely depends on how you look wearing a wide brimmed western style hat. Some of us with narrower faces look odd in a three inch or wider brim.

G MAN

One of the Regulars
My Banjo Paterson is the one hat that I always get compliments on when I wear it.
I think it's a middle of the road type hat, it's not a fedora, not a cowboy hat and not a outback hat either.

Tedquinton

A-List Customer
Funnily enough I have been pondering the same question in the last week or so. I am looking for some sun protection on a tour of Turkish archeological sites later this year. I settled on the banjo.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
My Banjo Paterson is the one hat that I always get compliments on when I wear it.
I think it's a middle of the road type hat, it's not a fedora, not a cowboy hat and not a outback hat either.

Good description. It's an intermediate hat. The only issue I have with this hat and may other Akubras is the obvious crown taper.

Duper

Practically Family
I have two Banjos and they do get complimented. I prefer the narrower brim but it still gets the job done for sun protection.

Thanks for the input to my question. (It took me a while to find this again since apparently a few threads merged here.) Just FYI, based on your recommendations and my own "gut" I decided on the Banjo. "MIddle of the road" and "Intermediate" type hat won the day...I've fedoras and cowboy hats. Plus, I hadn't thought about it, but when somebody mentioned the "holes" it struck a chord. I'm not against them, but in this instance I think I prefer a hat without them. Plus it'll let me double back in warmer weather and get a vented lid! I also went with Del Monico's - they have free shipping this month and a good price. David Morgan has been a quality retailer up here in Washington for a long time...but I'll wait to buy from them when I can get thru the pass to their side of the State and do it in person.

I received the Banjo a few days ago and liked it so much out of the box that I actually wore it around the house, out to breakfast the next morning and in the snow for a few short errands today. Fits well...and according to a my buddy who was visiting for one of our monthly bourbon festivals, it looks the best of all my hats. I just want to express my sincere thanks and appreciation for the sound opinions and descriptions I received here. You guys are top shelf. I'll post pictures in a separate thread when I have a few minutes to get around to taking some shots of my smallish collection. The problem is, I like the Banjo so much that it'll be an exclusive for a while. Thanks again, guys.

Chamuco

I'll Lock Up
I've got a Coober Pedy in Fawn. Got it from Hats Direct. In my very humble opinion, the Coober Pedy is the best cool weather outdoor hat I've ever worn. It's close cousin, the Cattleman is the best warm weather outdoor hat I've worn. My Cattleman also came from Hats Direct. The Coober Pedy is lined and has 3 vent holes in each side, it does a fantastic job of protecting my head, shoulders, neck, and face from the sun or anything cold and/or wet falling from the sky. If you don't have one, get one, you'll never regret it.

God Bless,
Preacher Man

I have it in Sand and BGG and love BOTH, just a minute ago I was thinking to get either a Black Coober Pedy or a Graphite Banjo, opted for the last, mostly because I havent got a Banjo yet and because Graphite gray, even being dark wont be as dark as black..

We´ll see how it works out !!

Happy New Year !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21