Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barbara Stanwyck article in current New Yorker

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There is a fascinating article by the inimitable Anthony Lane in the current New Yorker about Barbara Stanwyck. It's written because there is a Stanwyck film festival now in New York, so Lane took the opportunity (as reviewers of books and movies so often do) of writing a little history of her life and films, along with his opinions. Quite good, superbly written of course, and informative. Besides Double Indemnity and The Furies I have not seen much else with her in it. The article goes into her sad life and speculates how this background created her peculiar sex appeal, without being annoyingly Freudian about it. Quite a read -- do pick it up if you're a fan.

Feraud

Bartender
I will check what theatre the article is referring to. We have the issue at home.
If anyone is interested in reading the article I can probably scan and post it.

Rafter

Suspended
Doran said:
There is a fascinating article by the inimitable Anthony Lane in the current New Yorker about Barbara Stanwyck. The article goes into her sad life and speculates how this background created her peculiar sex appeal, without being annoyingly Freudian about it. Quite a read -- do pick it up if you're a fan.
I'm sitting down with my copy of the New Yorker now! Can't wait to read this article....and she did have a peculiar kinda sex appeal. My all-time Stanwyck favs- "Double Indemnity" and "Sorry Wrong Number".

As a kid frim the 80's, my first introduction to her came from viewing the "Thorn Birds" and the horrible Dynasty spin-off the Colby's....which also starred Charlton Heston. It was sad to see how desperate legends become and the crap they take late in their careers.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Nothing peculiar about Ms. Stanwyck,...

I always thought she was very attractive. :)

ladieshomejournaljuly44015.jpg

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Maj.Nick Danger said:
I always thought she was very attractive. :)

ladieshomejournaljuly44015.jpg

When I first saw her, I didn't "get" her. It was in The Furies. As a massive Aeschylus fan, I thought they could have incorporated more from the Oresteia and avoided the lame Freudian stuff. But seeing Double Indemnity made me see her genius. And yes, I think she is attractive, especially with that interesting nose and those stunning legs.
And in the photograph in the New Yorker she is certainly smokin'. I advise everyone to go to the link to see it (above) if you don't subscribe which you should because it is the best-written general interest magazine in America and perhaps several other nation-states.

Earp

One of the Regulars
I always liked Barbara Stanwyk. I thought she very attractive -- and great legs. Her personality in film generated an amazing sex appeal. Just watch her in Ball Of Fire or The Lady Eve and you'll see what I mean. She had a lot of funny lines in those -- they are my two favorite Stanwyk films, although I like others as well.

I'm looking forward to reading the article online. Thanks for the link Doctor Strange.

Nts

New in Town
Great Thread

Thank you for the link to the story she is one of my favorite actress. I only wish I lived in New York so I could maybe catch one or two of the shows.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael