Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barber Shops

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Mr Maltby said:
Do any of you have opinions on barber shops in san francisco?

Im heading up there in a couple of weeks, and would like to get a shave with a straight blade while im there.

When I was in SF I asked around for a '40s or old school barber shop. I did get told to go to a shop 5 min from Union Square and it was full of oldtimers. However it was not a '40s style shop per se, but rather just an old shop with an oldish barber. But I was the youngest there by a long shot.

There was a newspaper article about the shop saying that it was great. I don't think he did shaves though.... [huh]

He told me that in the basement of the building there used to be a speakeasy. That was cool to hear that! :)

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
alphonse capone said:
Most states it is not allowed :( why you say, Blood borne pathogens & sterilization. Any sharp instrument that shaves, pierces the skin or otherwise has to be sterilized not sanitized but high heat sterilized ie autoclave :O I myself as a Barber can shave you with a *disposable saftey razor* diposable being the key word never to be used again. I shave myself with a nude Barbers pet Straight razor it's used on me no one else. Old Barbers that have been *Grandfathered in* can still Straight razor customers but good luck finding one, most are in their late 80's to 90, have you ever seen any old Barbershop pictures with all the shaving mugs, everyone had their own mug & somtimes razors. If you can talk your Barber into Straight razoring you off the clock that might work , but get caught on the clock & it's curtins ;) one of these days I'll have to do a thead on shaving with a Straight razor & beard prep with a scalding towel & how to edge flex with boiling water. I'ts really the best shave one can get smooth, close & sharp. If you want to learn how Straight razor I would suggest praticing on a balloon till you don't pop it, get yourself a strop , 1000 grit stone learn to sharpen first, roll a burr then hone. Then learn to control the edge on your skin & don't bump the mirror ;)
Alphonse

I get a shave in my barber shop regularly. It is called "The Waldorf". It's been around sinnce the '40s and is very much a '40s styled barber shop.

Think "The Man Who Wasn't There" and you'll know what I mean....

BLIT1119.JPG

Barbigirl

Practically Family
Professional hot shaves by a barber?

So my new man wants to know...do you know of any barbers who do a hot shave with a straight razor anymore? In the Seattle area or anywhere else? Have you ever had one before? How was the experience?

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Ye Olde Barber Shoppe

Years ago the barber always applied that nice hot foam to your sideburns and trimmed them with the straight razor. That was the "finishing touch" of a haircut. So I've experienced that great hot foam sensation, if only on my temples. Never given a barber direct access to my throat, however. In the old days, each regular customer had his own personal shaving mug. The mugs were placed on a large wall, full of identical mugs. It was one of the (many) cool things about old fashioned barber shops. I suppose the key is to find an old fashioned barber shop. There was one in the Columbus Circle subway station in New York last time I looked. Maybe a slightly long commute. But certainly a good enough excuse to come and visit our fair city!

warbird

One Too Many
My barber still uses the hot foam and straight razor around the ears, in back and for the sideburns every haircut I get.:) And all for $10.

For $2 more you can get the full face treatment with a hot towel on the face to soften it up beforehand.

Milu

Familiar Face
Yes. I learned the meaning of a truly close shave.

The hot towels are also an important part of it. The disposable blades barbers have to use today are just not sharp enough, it's not the same thing at all. I no longer bother.

griffer

Practically Family
my best friend does them at his shop in Jersey.

single and close shaves, hot towel, double warm glycerin soap lathers.

he has a bunch of new razors and he was admonishing me last night that i need to stop by and give his two bits.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Barbigirl, I was in Seattle last about 10 yrs ago but while there I stayed in a B&B in the Queen Ann district and at the base of the hill on a main street running north & south ( Can't remember the name of the street) there was a long established ( like from the 30s or earlier) barber shop that still did shaves. Was a real pleasure having it done and I'm ceratin that you will be able to find them as they were quite well known back then.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Many cities now have health ordinances that prohibit barbers using straight razors. So instead they use shavettes, a thing that looks like a straight razor but takes disposable single-edge razor blades. I don't know if the quality of the shave is different because of the switch.

Johnnysan

One Too Many
Sadly, in my neck of the woods (no pun intended), most barbers no longer offer this service due to health regulations and concerns about blood-bourne disease. I had a hot lather shave once many years ago and have been looking forward to another for some time to no avail.

Johnnysan said:
Sadly, in my neck of the woods (no pun intended), most barbers no longer offer this service due to health regulations and concerns about blood-bourne disease. I had a hot lather shave once many years ago and have been looking forward to another for some time to no avail.

Same here in Indiana. I used to enjoy a hot towel straight razor shave years ago. Alas...no more..:(
HD

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've been waiting about three years to find a barber that would do me this service. There were a few but all have gone away through time. There is now, from what I can discern through multiple telephone calls, only 2 places that still do this. Both are downtown (lawyer and politician clientel) and both sound reasonably priced. I will see if I can't get in this Friday and let you chaps know how it went.

One question: I already have a good two day stubble and my hair grows thick and fast. Should I shave before hand to make the process a little easier on the barber? Or should I just leave it be?

Johnnysan

One Too Many
Undertow said:
One question: I already have a good two day stubble and my hair grows thick and fast. Should I shave before hand to make the process a little easier on the barber? Or should I just leave it be?

The answer to this likely lies with the skill of the barber and the amount of experience he or she has had offering hot shaves. Someone who has a lot of experience will keep blades well honed and have you under a hot towel until your beard softens. Someone who doesn't may well shave off the first layer of your skin with a blade that is usually used to scrape gum off the linoleum!

Good luck and enjoy! ;)

Barbigirl

Practically Family
Danger zone

I called about 4 places in Seattle and they all told me that no one does the hot shave with razors anymore because of the possible blood factor and disease. :(

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The barber I go to in Boston, changes blades each time. I don't think anyone uses a solid blade anymore for just that reason.

I go to a place in Watertown, MA and they use the straight razor on my neck when I am done a haircut. They would do a shave, but I hardly shave as it is; there is no sense paying for one!

woodyinnyc

One of the Regulars
Barbigirl,

I don't know much about WA geography, but on the Art of Shaving website, they mentioned they are opening a barberspa in Bellevue WA this fall. Keep looking though, you will find someone. I have been to the Art in NYC and they do use the blades that Hem mentioned, but I still get a great shave.

BTW Hem, you may not NEED the shave, but the experience is worth it once and its a beautiful thing when you are little hungover. So I've been told! :rolleyes:

Brooksie

One Too Many
Hey Barbigirl,

There is a place in Down Town Portland that is called Ye Olde Tonsorial Parlor right next to Huber's restaurant. It looks to be very much the old fashioned barber shop but I am not sure if they do the old fashioned shaves.

LB

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
I thought Toronto was nutty for annoying health regulations - the only street food that can be served here, for instance, is precooked meat, which is to say hotdogs and sausages: Some health code. But I do have a barber who shaves me with a real straight razor and not some phony theatrical device. The whole process takes a good thirty minutes, double that for a haircut as well, so it's not something I do other than for special occassions (my wedding, someone else's wedding, opening day at the track, etc.) It's well worth the time and money. My barber is a true blue, old country pro and he has never, ever, ever even so much as nicked me in all the years he's cut my hair (with the neck shave) and shaved me.

If anyone is in, near or planning to visit Toronto I'm happy to give directions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou