Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barber Shops

panamag8or

Practically Family
Jovan said:
I have never yet used the services of a barber shop. I think my main concern is that they wouldn't want to or couldn't do the things that I want. Perhaps I'm just thinking of ones from the '50s though.

I really do want to get a good straight razor shave someday though. I hear it's a very relaxing experience.

Dude, an old barber knows so much more than some kid at a unisex salon.

panamag8or

Practically Family
Captain said:
Amen to that!

This one time, I HAD to have a haircut, and my regular shop was closed, so my only choice was one of those chain haircutting joints. I asked for a straight razor on the back of my neck, and the girl told me they weren't allowed to use them.:eek: That was the difference between a barber and a stylist.

Never again.

Feng_Li

A-List Customer
The best haircut I ever had was from a Korean barber in Anchorage (Perhaps Carebear knows the name of the place? It was a couple blocks from the performing arts center). Done in a jiffy and the cut was flawless. I did not begrudge Alaska prices on that one.

Jovan

Suspended
panamag8or said:
Dude, an old barber knows so much more than some kid at a unisex salon.
This wasn't "some kid" at a unisex salon -- I always asked for the manager. Besides the fact that I leave my hair to be cut by a certain family member who used to be in hairdressing herself most of the time. ;)

I'm not sure why you were surprised at them not being able to use a straight razor. It is an art that isn't really taught much anymore.

panamag8or

Practically Family
Jovan said:
This wasn't "some kid" at a unisex salon -- I always asked for the manager. Besides the fact that I leave my hair to be cut by a certain family member who used to be in hairdressing herself most of the time. ;)

I'm not sure why you were surprised at them not being able to use a straight razor. It is an art that isn't really taught much anymore.

It wasn't that they didn't know how... it was that they are not allowed to by law.

mike

Call Me a Cab
decent barber in los angeles?

Anyone know of one? I like to get an almost Erich Von Stroheim military razor-cut fade with the top long and brushed back. Sounds easy?
Well if there were any just plain old time barbers here it certainly would be!
But me, well I don't know of any!
any suggestions?!
thank yoooou!

Captain

New in Town
Barbers in San Fran?

Hey everyone,

Well after finding the perfect barber for me back home in Perth, Australia I now need a good, old fashioned barber in San Fran. I'm on holidays in the States and I'll be in SF for a week, right when I need a cut.

Any suggestions on anyone that can give a good vintage cut?

Cheers.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
There is an old fashioned barber on Bush street, somewhere between Jones and Powell (4 block cushion). They dont take reservations so its all walk in. I passed by it on my way to school often. Looks great with old photos of vintage cuts in the window. Sorry I cant narrow down the block more.

If I were a dude, Id check it out :)

LD

Bebop

Practically Family
I don't use a barber but I do walk past a barber shop every day that I used as a photo project a few years ago. It seems to be the type of barber shop I used to sit in as a child in the 60's. It is located on Pine between Kearny and Montgomery, not far from Union Square and close to Chinatown. They have many chairs in the shop and the customers look out of the window as they get their hair cut. They always seem to have every single chair with a customer in it. That is a good sign.

green papaya

One Too Many
Mr. YEE's Barbershop, Chinatown, SF

you should go to YEE's BARBERSHOP located in ROSS alley , chinatown, San Francisco

this is a very famous old fashioned barbershop that lots of Hollywood actors have got their haircuts while filming movies in the area

actors like Clint Eastwood, Matt Dillon, etc even have their photos pasted in the window

they still have $6.00 haircuts

green papaya

One Too Many
barbershop in Ross alley , chinatown, SF

I just stopped at the old barbershop in Ross alley, in chinatown San Francisco this morning and talked with the owner, he has been in business since 1966

his barbershop was also used in the movie "Pursuit of Happiness" starring Will Smith.

Clint Eastwood's photo was still pasted in the window, but it was all faded from age.

Jet Li has also had his hair cut in that barbershop

I also saw actor Christopher Reeves photo in there

and actor Michael Douglas

there is an old fortune cookie factory right next to his shop.

Bebop

Practically Family
green papaya said:
I just stopped at the old barbershop in Ross alley, in chinatown San Francisco this morning and talked with the owner, he has been in business since 1966

his barbershop was also used in the movie "Pursuit of Happiness" starring Will Smith.

Clint Eastwood's photo was still pasted in the window, but it was all faded from age.

Jet Li has also had his hair cut in that barbershop

I also saw actor Christopher Reeves photo in there

and actor Michael Douglas

Did you get a haircut there? How are the haircuts? With so many Hollywood boys in there, I would stay away from the haircut. Like everything else in Chinatown, it is probably a good place to visit as a tourist for the photos of actors on the wall but not a place to be taken seriously for a haircut.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters