Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barber Shops

Barrelhouse

One of the Regulars
My first hot towel shave!

Congratulation Chad!

Everyone needs to pamper themselves sometimes and there are few better ways I can think of for a man to do this then a traditional barbershop shave. My Grandfather put himself into an early grave working 12 to 14 hour days seven days a week throughout the Depression and World War II. He allowed himself only one purely selfish treat: a hot towel, straight razor shave every Saturday afternoon. If the towel was hot, the razor keen, and the St Louis Cards were winning, he was ready to face whatever challenges lay in the week ahead. Its true that barbershop shaves can be a little pricey but remember they are a lot cheaper than Xanax and much much more fun!

celtic

A-List Customer
I keep meaning to do this, but for me it would only be a shave.

Anybody here ever get their entire head hot shaved?

Chad Sanborn

A-List Customer
Their was a guy in there getting this exact treatment. (head shave) I only saw the tail end of it. But it looked like a lengthy process and ended with a rub of olive oil. Which I thought was odd but it added a nice shine!

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Barrelhouse said:
Everyone needs to pamper themselves sometimes and there are few better ways I can think of for a man to do this then a traditional barbershop shave. My Grandfather put himself into an early grave working 12 to 14 hour days seven days a week throughout the Depression and World War II. He allowed himself only one purely selfish treat: a hot towel, straight razor shave every Saturday afternoon. If the towel was hot, the razor keen, and the St Louis Cards were winning, he was ready to face whatever challenges lay in the week ahead. Its true that barbershop shaves can be a little pricey but remember they are a lot cheaper than Xanax and much much more fun!

Great post! Do stick around.

armod

Familiar Face
new to LA. need a haircut

just moved to Los Angeles and my hair needs work.

BarberShop.jpg

I have a liking for the more classic style barbershops as opposed to the salons as I keep my hair simple and appreciate the old knowledge and skills of the barbers. I also find the atmosphere more inviting.

does anyone here know of such a place around town?

I'm in orange county (around Irvine) but willing to travel if its worth the cut/barber.

AvaTrimble

New in Town
I'm always on the look-out for an affordable (I'm a student; I'm always broke) place get a vintage-style hair-cut of the girl variety, but since you're saying "barber" and have a little cartoon fella in a tux for your avatar, you are a person of the male persuasion - in which case, I would recommend doing a google site search (site:thefedoralounge.com barber "los angeles"). Failing that, there's probably a more likely place to get answers - the "Beauty" section is mostly us girls!

That said - there's a barber shop in Long Beach, on 7th Street I think, near all the vintage shops, that friends of mine have been to. Old-fashioned-ish. With beer. Best of luck!

jerseygary

New in Town
Place is called The Syndicate on 7th Street in Long Beach. Any of the guys there will do you good. Real barbers, hot rod and girlie mags while you wait (which is never that long anyway. $20 for a cut you can't get anywhere else at any price! Stay away from the Fonzi wanna-be places that look like they are out of central casting. This is the real deal. This is my first post and glad I can recommend something to a fellow lounger.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
The shop my husband and son started going to in Feb 09 for their vintage style cuts has an old style of barber chairs. They have raised metal foot plates for resting one's feet, and an ashtray on one of the chairs arms... Last time I took our son in for a hair cut, we brought with us a picture of Fred Astaire with a young Mickey Rooney and George Murphy. The barber (and owner) kind of gets a kick out of cutting the hair of a young teenager that wants and likes a vintage style.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy