Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barber Shops

matei

One Too Many
Thanks for the links Salv. Coming from you it is expert advice, as you've certainly got the look!

Salv

One Too Many
You could just take a walk around your area and look for a barbershop with a white-haired Meditteranean-looking barber wielding the scissors. Elderly Italian, Greek and Maltese barbers would all have been traditionally trained and can sort you out. In fact I've just had a look on yell.com and found a likely sounding barber: C Cornelio at 182, Caledonian Rd. Might be worth wandering past.

Kt Templar

One of the Regulars
Salv said:
I've had my hair cut a couple of times at a barber in west London, but that may be too far for you - Murray's in Kingston-upon-Thames is run by a rockabilly guy called Nick Murray, but they do a wide range of cuts, including traditional and rocking cuts.

Strangest coincidence, just after seeing your post I was driving through from Kingston to Richmond. And drove right past it! Murrays is in Ham near to where the old British Aerospace factory was isn't it? I'd never noticed it before. But their sign is pretty distinctive.

Salv

One Too Many
Kt Templar said:
Strangest coincidence, just after seeing your post I was driving through from Kingston to Richmond. And drove right past it! Murrays is in Ham near to where the old British Aerospace factory was isn't it? I'd never noticed it before. But their sign is pretty distinctive.

Yep, that's the one, at the corner in the right-hand parade of shops as you come out from Kingston.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Salv said:
I've had my hair cut a couple of times at a barber in west London, but that may be too far for you - Murray's in Kingston-upon-Thames is run by a rockabilly guy called Nick Murray, but they do a wide range of cuts, including traditional and rocking cuts. Click on the "Gallery" link from the main page for some examples, and also try the "Rockin' Cuts" link (but turn the sound down first if you're at work, unless you don't mind hearing a song called Shorty's Barber Shop.) The Rockin' cut on the far left looks quite 40's..
What a great website! So well done! And I just gave myself the "Horseshoe Rockabilly" cut as featured in the gallery! Not that it's much different from what I had, but just wanna be able to tell people that I got a HORSESHOE ROCKABILLY!:p

matei

One Too Many
Tipping?

Thanks for the info guys.

I ended up going to "Fittners", in Moorgate. I am very happy with the end result.

However, I do have yet another question! As I'm not British, and haven't been living here too long - how much does one tip the barber?

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
matei said:

I ended up going to "Fittners", in Moorgate. I am very happy with the end result.

However, I do have yet another question! As I'm not British, and haven't been living here too long - how much does one tip the barber?

When I visit my Cypriate chap in Bristol, I normally leave him with a fiver because he shaves everything except my moustache and eyebrows, but doesn't charge me a great deal for the priviledge. It works out at about a 25% tip all in. I imagine your fellow's just doing your face, and would think that given the local climate a fiver should be enough not to seem stingy but not enough to cause embarrassment.

matei

One Too Many
Oh... :confused:

It was ?Ǭ£15.50 and I told him to make it ?Ǭ£17... Hopefully when I go back he won't accidentally slip and take off me ear.

This is the bit that always concerns me. We've lived in several countries and in each place it is different.

Salv

One Too Many
matei said:

Well, we need a picture!

matei said:
I usually tip ?Ǭ£1.50 to ?Ǭ£2.00. Last time I went to Murray's he only charged me ?Ǭ£7.50 instead of the usual ?Ǭ£9.50 because I just had the back and sides tidied up, but I gave him ?Ǭ£10 and told him to keep the change. My wife's a hairdresser (she normally cuts my hair but I went to Murray's when she broke her arm last year) and she reckons about two quid is fine.

db5zx

Familiar Face
Anybody know a good, old-fashioned barbershop around DC?

Good afternoon, ladies and those who pursue them...

Although originally from Germany, I am living in Washington, DC for job reasons at the moment. I will leave the country to go back to Germany at the end of April and would like to get me a nice haircut, as a good-bye present, so to speak. At the moment, I don't look very gentleman-like, having not gotten a haircut since January and not having had a decent shave in a good number of weeks. And quite frankly, that has got to change.

Does anyone here know where to get a good, 1930's or 1940's haircut in the capital region? That would be much appreciated!

Jens

Old Timer

New in Town
db5zx said:
Good afternoon, ladies and those who pursue them...

Although originally from Germany, I am living in Washington, DC for job reasons at the moment. I will leave the country to go back to Germany at the end of April and would like to get me a nice haircut, as a good-bye present, so to speak. At the moment, I don't look very gentleman-like, having not gotten a haircut since January and not having had a decent shave in a good number of weeks. And quite frankly, that has got to change.

Does anyone here know where to get a good, 1930's or 1940's haircut in the capital region? That would be much appreciated!

Jens

Hello there! I'm not from the DC area but I thought I would share with you that my barber is German. I live in Milwaukee,WI, a city with an extremely large German population. He's been running the same shop in the same location since the mid 1950s. My barber and his customers, some of which have been going to him for over 50 years, have some very interesting stories to tell. My barber and most of his customers moved to the US shortly after WWII. Sometimes I'm the only one in the shop who doesn't speak German but out of courtesy to me and the other non-German speaking customers, they speak English (or a mixture of German and English) when we're around.

I've gone to some "high end" barbers where the charge $50 or more and I personally haven't been impressed with the results. In my opinion your best bet is to find the old neighborhood barber who still uses the "Golden Era" hair cutting techniques (i.e. straight razors, scissors, shaving cream and hair tonic). Another positive about going to a traditional barber is that most don't charge more than $15 for a hair cut! I find that traditional barbers tend to take their time. My barber takes at least 45 min. to cut one person's hair....even if they are almost completely bald!

Barry

Practically Family
There's Camillo's in Tenleytown off of Wisconsin (3000 block of Windom Place - right across from the 7-11).

Camillo's has been there quite a while. It's a popular spot for college kids. If you go be sure to wait for Camillo - even call and see if you can get an appointment with him if he takes them (I doubt it). I went there in college and I do not remember the other barbers in the shop using shears - they tended to use the electric clippers exclusively.

I'm guessing Camillo charges $10-12 for a haircut.

There is another barber further up near the Giant on Wisconsin Avenue in Cleveland Park. I'll try and find the address for you.

Barry

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou