Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barbour International

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
:) :) :) Very good ! I liked that one. :eusa_clap

Paul, I forgot to say that the International WAS an issue item. The label is all NATO and metric etc and the number of them available on the surplus market, no way could they have been private purchase only.

Dave

Edward

Bartender
Creeping Past said:
Edward, if you check the refs to Barbours as worn in that area, you'll understand why you didn't notice them on the street...

Heh, yeah, the SAS.... I think back in the day we were all much more aware of them being in Gibralta than on the streets of Belfast. ;)

Alexi

One of the Regulars
here are some pics of the Barbour international trials model i just sold on evil-bay. I had the Barbour factory add studs for a hood and add a few grommets on the collar tab (Iz gottz a skinny neckz). I also removed the Barbour logo patch.

img0564e.jpg

img0565g.jpg

img0567ut.jpg

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Military waxproofs

I used to work for Belstaff in the 1970s and we had a contract for a military version of the Trialmaster suit - very similar to the Barbour suit referred here. The label says 'BIL'. I think some people mistake these for a military Barbour jacket...

I just pulled the trigger on a Barbour International jacket,upon reading this thread I find the garment very functional,also nice looking.Back when I rode motorcycles in the 70s I wore a cafe type leather jacket,not knowing of the Barbour.Was Barbour advertised back in the mid 70s in America????

Edward

Bartender
bburtner@moran said:
I just pulled the trigger on a Barbour International jacket,upon reading this thread I find the garment very functional,also nice looking.Back when I rode motorcycles in the 70s I wore a cafe type leather jacket,not knowing of the Barbour.Was Barbour advertised back in the mid 70s in America????

I should have thought so.... Steve Macqueen wore a Belstaff by personal choice on his own time, but when he rode with them the entire US team wore Barbourf Internationals, so I should have thought that it would have been a reasonably high profile brand over there??

Alexi

One of the Regulars
Edward said:
Nice jacket - looks like the shorter version of the Trials model?

the trials model is the shorter and slimmer version of the international.

Edward said:
I should have thought so.... Steve Macqueen wore a Belstaff by personal choice on his own time, but when he rode with them the entire US team wore Barbourf Internationals, so I should have thought that it would have been a reasonably high profile brand over there??

I have a feeling that "Steve McQueen wore a Belstaff by personal choice on his own time" is Belstaff marketing propaganda, specially after they had to cease and desist making the Steve McQueen version of their jacket. My understanding is that Steve had over 70 motorcycle jackets and wore many different style when they suited his fancy.

xt40

Familiar Face
Not sure if I'm seeing right.. does it actually say BARBOAR TARTAN??
yes, it does
im looking at mine right now and mine says barboUr.
my font for the lower label is also a bit different , smaller and blurrier but it is definitely a U .
all the other labels and the tartan look fairly identical

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Barboar Internationul

Not sure if I'm seeing right.. does it actually say BARBOAR TARTAN??
Good eye! I just got the magnifying glass out and looked at my jacket, the one in the photo, yes it is an a not u! I never noticed that. All the others are Barbour, maybe I have an collectors item. LOL

diaboliq

New in Town
My latest two! :)
Waited so long for these Internationals. I LOVE THEM

(sorry for the blurry photo, it's my nokia's fault :( )

180420111246.jpg

dobroruka

New in Town
I used to wear a waxed jacket when I was younger - I *really* liked it, but was not a Barbour... On another note, I find that Barbour really has very nice briefcases. I nearly bought one but found some nice items in Florence, so I dropped the Barbour idea. But they are really nice and practical at the same time.

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
Tie to resurrect an old thread methinks :D

Here's my International, still going strong after several multi-week tours of Europe (last one early May this year) and a several week tour of Scandinavia, via Holland, Germany and Denmark.

In action

Edward

Bartender
Great looking jacket. Did it come with those pockets in the rear, or are they attached to the belt?

I have a Trials model..... somewhere.... It's very similar to the standard, except a slimmer fit (and possibly just an inch or so shorter), and it doesn't take a warmer lining. Once I've had a proper clearout, I'd love to pick up the regualr model with lining. Ideally I'd like a green one, but it seems to be hard to find anything other than black currently, at least in the standard model. I don't want one of the flag variants, though I did rather like the Lawrence of Arabia one from a few years ago. (Or am I confusing them with Belstaff here?).

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
Thanks Edward.
I had the pockets sewn on to the rear by Barbour themselves. Cost me £36 for the pockets and the sewing. Really useful addition.
I added the flag as I only wear the Barbour suit when on my motorbike and I do a lot of international travelling and like folks to know where I am from.
Mine is not the traditional wax jacket but uses their newer waterproofing agent called Sylkoil or somesuch. No smell, no wax to rub off onto your furniture. WAY better than the old way of doing it. Also no shiny patches and the material seems thicker slightly and despite really hard and prolonged wear, no sig of the usual fraying at the cuffs and hem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo