Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barbour Sylkoil dressing

Lord Flashheart

A-List Customer
Afternoon all. I’ve just bought a second hand Barbour Ashby which I think has the Sylkoil dressing on it. It really needs to be re proofed but I can’t seem to find any Sylkoil stockists anywhere? Would anyone know of one? Failing that would I be able to use the regular Thornproof dressing or any other on the jacket?.

regards

Garry

Peter Mackin

Practically Family
If you can't get the barbour stuff just use the Drizabone product, that's what I do, works a treat, I paint it on lightly then use a hair dryer on it. Work's a treat, im in Scotland so it gets tested regularly :)

Pandemic

One Too Many
Afternoon all. I’ve just bought a second hand Barbour Ashby which I think has the Sylkoil dressing on it. It really needs to be re proofed but I can’t seem to find any Sylkoil stockists anywhere? Would anyone know of one? Failing that would I be able to use the regular Thornproof dressing or any other on the jacket?.

regards

Garry

Thornproof and Sylkoil refer to the fabric and not the wax. No problem using Thornproof. I’ve tried a few other brands, but the Barbour product is the easiest to work with and gives the best look (Fjalraven divides better protection but always comes out uneven and blotchy for me).

The Ashby had a nice slim profile, but beware of ‘Ashby Arms’: the sleeve lining is some non-breathing synthetic material that will have your arms wet with sweat. If you decide you like the jacket after a few wears, you might want to look into delinking the sleeves. I would also put a little paint on those bright buttons (like a Beaufort), but that’s just me.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
You’re supposed to use Thornproof. I’ve done it numerous times. I’m a bit of a Barbour junky. Plenty of vids online but let me know if you need suggestions.

tweedydon

Call Me a Cab
"Thornproof and Sylkoil refer to the fabric and not the wax." THANK YOU Pandemic! A lot of the phrasing online--including by Barbour--doesn't make this clear.

Pandemic

One Too Many
"Thornproof and Sylkoil refer to the fabric and not the wax." THANK YOU Pandemic! A lot of the phrasing online--including by Barbour--doesn't make this clear.

From memory, Sylkoil fabric has a little nep and less sheen. It is also available in a lighter 4oz weight. Thornproof is the original and offered in Sage, whereas Sylkoil is an olive colour. And, honestly, after a year or two of wear it’s not easy to tell them apart!

Lord Flashheart

A-List Customer
Thanks for all the responses gents. The Barbour website is a bit vague as to what Sylkoil is and the name suggests it is a dressing rather than the qualities of the fabric. Barbour thornproof is a bit thin on the ground here in Oz so I’ve gone with the Nikwax spray on wax cotton which gets fair reviews so I’ll see how I go with that.
Regards

garry

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
I had the Lutz model Barbour with the Sylkoil and I loved the material and the dryer kind of finish, but the fit wasn't quite right for me.

I recently reproofed an older Belstaff using the modern Belstaff dressing, this one, and the finish I got with that was quite close to the Sylkoil. More so than the normal Barbour thornproof dressing, which I think is the only kind they sell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ