Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barflys, what kind of atmosphere do you prefer?

guellimus

New in Town
rkwilker said:
I prefer my bartender to be an extremely nice looking young lady but hey....that's just me. ;)

I'm in complete agreeance with you there!

I've never had the opportunity to visit a good cigar bar, but I've heard some good stories about them.

Aside from an irish pub, there's nothing like a nice, dimly lit lounge with a live jazz quartet playing. It seems to make the whole evening better.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Ethan Bentley said:
For me, my preference would be for a bartender who really knew his stuff ...

That would be Max, head bartender of the Cicada Club.

BartenderMaxservingabsinthe.jpg

BartenderMaxwithabsinthefountain.jpg
[/QUOTE]

High Pockets

Practically Family
:) Any place that Don Draper and Roger Sterling would hang out.

Lighting: dim
Music: standards,........that you can barely hear.
Drinks: classics,......made correctly.
Patrons: middle aged quiet people who dress nicely and converse at a level that can't be overheard.

Is there such a place?

Not where I live,.....oh no,.......we have "sports-bars",.....disgusting places with twenty wide-screen televisions, (three of which might on the same channel), that are being constantly bombarded with obscenities screamed out by drunken ex-high-school football players who all seem to now be the greatest "arm-chair quarterback" that ever lived and who also appear to think the officials inside the television can actually HEAR them!

:) I'd give almost anything for a nice quite Lounge.

High Pockets

Practically Family
No ma'am,....sure haven't. Vicky and I have been covered up with family.......stuff for the past month or so.

:) I have thought about it a time or two since you mentioned it last.

Corto

A-List Customer
My perfect bar would nice and dark with a moderate amount of people and a good selection of 70's-80's punk and old crooners on the jukebox. It would definitely have Guinness on tap, good Irish whiskeys and a good selection of bourbon. I like a place that's a little old school (real Rummies perpetually stationed at the bar) and a little hipster-esque (enough young kids to keep it fresh, but not too many that I feel old). A neighborhood bar that doesn't cave to trends. A "gezellig" bar. Louise and Jerry's in Hoboken, NJ was a paragon of this type of establishment.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
High Pockets said:
:) Any place that Don Draper and Roger Sterling would hang out.

Lighting: dim
Music: standards,........that you can barely hear.
Drinks: classics,......made correctly.
Patrons: middle aged quiet people who dress nicely and converse at a level that can't be overheard.

Is there such a place?

Yes, there is. The Mad Men TV show films its "Stork Club" scenes inside Cicada Restaurant's mezzanine bar.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Quite a question. Hmmm I've been in Hawaii for a bit now and have had time to think about this... There are a lot of bars here yet... well, they just don't have the right people for my liking. It's too leisurely. I think I prefer the hustle and bustle of a busy bar full of people on the go. Conversations are on topics of politics and the economy and there aren't as many tans to go around. Now that i've been away from it, the brandy sifting gent and the gal in heels are something I really miss about LA and New York

Matt did you get to try Murphy's in downtown Honolulu? Thats one of the few nice pubs we have.

rkwilker

One Too Many
Ethan Bentley said:
For me my preference would be for a bartender who really knew there stuff, but I suppose that becomes more/less important depending on what you're drinking.

Well, I drink my scotch neat and my bourbon on the rocks....kinda hard to screw that up....which brings me back to the nice looking young lady tending bar.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
rkwilker said:
Well, I drink my scotch neat and my bourbon on the rocks....kinda hard to screw that up....which brings me back to the nice looking young lady tending bar.

lol you would have thought so but I have ordered a scotch in a bar before and had it served in a highball unfortunately it was only a shot lost in the glass.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
jwalls said:
An irish pub is indeed a fine place to enjoy an evening. Black Bush with porter for a chaser. But a blues club with a great band is still my favorite.

Perfection indeed...just keep the whiskey and bring me another pint o'Guinesss..

guellimus

New in Town
jwalls said:
I keep telling you folks Guiness is food not beer.;)

It's liquid bread!

You know how some people have weird habits of mixing food? Like how Laverne & Shirley did milk & Pepsi?

I kid you not my roommate swears by dunking Oreos in his Guiness. He says it's delicious but I'm not ready yet to give it a try.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
guellimus said:
It's liquid bread!

You know how some people have weird habits of mixing food? Like how Laverne & Shirley did milk & Pepsi?

I kid you not my roommate swears by dunking Oreos in his Guiness. He says it's delicious but I'm not ready yet to give it a try.

It may be apochryphal, but it is said that towards the end of his days Walt Disney would dunk doughnuts in scotch while he worked at his desk at the studio.

In a coffee cup to camouflage? Or a tumbler? Can't recall...

HatRak

Familiar Face
When I lived in Bawlmer, there were twenty-one bars in the one mile stretch of road between my house and Fort McHenry. Everything from high-end tequila houses to longshoreman's filling stations. Here's my criteria:

1) It must NOT have aTV.
2) There must be acoustic music.
3) It cannot have been built after 1910.
4) It must have Guinness on tap.

Boodles

A-List Customer
High Pockets said:
:)
Not where I live,.....oh no,.......we have "sports-bars",.....disgusting places with twenty wide-screen televisions, (three of which might on the same channel), that are being constantly bombarded with obscenities screamed out by drunken ex-high-school football players who all seem to now be the greatest "arm-chair quarterback" that ever lived and who also appear to think the officials inside the television can actually HEAR them!

:) I'd give almost anything for a nice quite Lounge.

I'm right there with you Mr. Pockets. I especially like the places with 20 or more TVs which have 10 different programs going, all blasting at once, and with that noise being drowned out by the kind of people you describe above. There is more peace on the deck of an aircraft carrier. Once upon a time, where I live in NC, if someone in a bar shouted everyone would hit the floor except the barkeep and his largest friends who would immediately perform the bum's rush on the obnoxious individual. Nowadays I'm about the only one in the joint not shouting. To be sure I realize that time has passed me by and so when the shouting starts this dinosaur hits the door.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy