Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bark cloth for clothing?

crwritt

One Too Many
I recently purchsed two three yard lengths of 50's era barkcloth that reminds me of the curtains "way back when" on my Grammy's sun porch. There is enough in each piece for a skirt or tailored shift.
Just wondering... has anyone seen examples of barkcloth used for clothing, or is it best saved for home dec use? Would a jacket be just too weird, or maybe a handbag?
One is a grey and pink large scale floral, the other is a paisley stripe. Both have accents of metallic gold in them.

not exactly like these but you get the idea

http://www.jandofabrics.com/products.asp?id=18

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes, I have some tailored shifts from Hawaiian barkcloth, probably made in the 1960s. I was given some barkcloth fabric from Hawaii from the 60s: I made an A-line dress as I was 100% Mod at the time (25 years ago, its around somewhere.) I haven't cut into the other pieces yet. Sounds NICE, crwitt!!
Ashley

Foofoogal

Banned
I think that dressing vintage is so different anyway why not make a jacket out of this material if you desire.
I have been seriously meaning to take a vintage MATELASSE bed covering I have to a good seamstress I know to make me a winter jacket. It is gorgeous but has some holes but the part I want to put directly on my back is pristine. Still working it out in my head how I want it and finding the correct antique buttons I want to use. I think made correctly it would look great and not too bulky.
Something funny is happening to me since I started wearing vintage. Seems I love colors and everyone else looks so dull and drab. :p
Just finished watching Pollyanna movie with Hayley Mills and remake in color of Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm with Shirley Temple with my 2 grandbabies.
These children are 7 and 9 and computer savvy but they were mesmerized the whole time. I was watching their faces.
Saw a dress I wanted in the Shirley movie I would love to have made. Vintage clothing is so creatively made. I have also been looking in antique magazines I get and one had vintage 1950s lighting. I wonder if people were more creative back then and now there is such conformity cookie cutter thinking. :eek:fftopic: Anyway, use your barkcloth.

crwritt

One Too Many
Thanks for replying. I'll get around to scanning the fabrics sometime, then I can show you. Now that I've looked around a bit I see that barkcloth has been used for clothing.
I just don't want to look like I'm wearing livingroom curtains, but then again who has barkcloth curtains anymore?

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
CRW,

Make whatever you want with the yardage. I won a jacked made from cowboy barkcloth on ebay. As it turned out, it was the smalles jacket I've ever seen. Lucky for me they accepted returns. A shift or even a camp shirt would be great. Have fun with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner