Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Barton Fink" the later years.

Frankie Lamb

One of the Regulars
I finally got around to watching "Barton Fink." For some reason I've never been able to get around to seeing it, but it was on last night and it blew me away.
Great period stuff, from the desk fan, ash-tray/match holder, to the clothes the actors wear. The period is of course, early 1942 Hollywood, and there are no doubt many more qualified fans here on the Lounge to comment on the "period correctness" of the film, but from this side of my baby-blues, it had the "feel" of the period I recall as a kid in first grade. The plot is typical Coen brothers stuff, which is, again in my opinion, Hitchcock on steroids: I've yet to be disappointed by one of their productions.
Since I've retired I've been catching up on all those films I missed when they were in the theater. (I new there had to some kind of benefit to getting old!)
Frankie Lamb

Red Diabla

One of the Regulars
I could never get into Miller's Crossing, despite me knowing that I should.

However, Barton Fink is indeed a blast. At my last job I'd rib my boss on a regular basis with Bill Mayhewisms, since the boss was also a writer.

Tony Shaloob is absolutely amazing in the film, too. Another source of fun quotes from him!

mike

Call Me a Cab
I love this film but have kinda stayed away from it since getting really into Wallace Beery... the Champ is not just another film?! Beery is not just some dumb actor! Barton Fink is supposed to be somewhat King Vidor making boiled down, human pictures (ala the Crowd!)

Anyway, Barton Fink is a great film but many of King Vidor's films are masterpieces.

Red Diabla

One of the Regulars
mike said:
I love this film but have kinda stayed away from it since getting really into Wallace Beery... the Champ is not just another film?! Beery is not just some dumb actor! Barton Fink is supposed to be somewhat King Vidor making boiled down, human pictures (ala the Crowd!)

Anyway, Barton Fink is a great film but many of King Vidor's films are masterpieces.

Isn't that part of the humor of Barton Fink? Think about it, most folk don't even remember Wallace Beery...the fact that you do puts a fun twist on the whole thing. Well, at least in my mind it does!

RD

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I wasn't sure about the movie when I first watched it (same thing happened with Big Lebowski). I did like and still like scene between the investigators and Barton in the hotel lobby.
The more I talked about the movie with the person that watched it with me, the more I liked it.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Slightly OT

I saw John Torturro, along with Elaine Stritch, Alvin Epstein and Max Cassella at the Brooklyn Academy of Music in Samuel Beckett's "Endgame" last spring. Talk about WOW. Tarturro is sort if a fixture in the Park Slope area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy