Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Battleship"

No, they are not obsolete--just that the pennypincher apparatchiki prefer to focus on their high "cost" rather than their deliberately-underfigured "benefit". (On their last deployments to the Gulf, the Iowas were also pulling double-duty as fast oilers to support nearby smaller warships, just for one.)

Too bad they didn't sign James Cameron to do this Battleship movie, not only would it be 3-D but he'd also heavily plagiarize the anime classic Space Cruiser Yamato. He could even throw in a cameo appearance by the Titanic for good measure. :D

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

Edit:
Silly me! I just read the blog. Forget Cameron, this DOES sound like a rip-off of Space Cruiser Yamato!

Maj.Nick Danger said:
So they ran out of crummy TV shows from the 70's on which to base their next block buster feature films???

It'll get worse...

Coming to Theaters Summer 2035
Survivor: The Movie

dr greg

One Too Many
all at sea

Diamondback said:
No, they are not obsolete--just that the pennypincher apparatchiki prefer to focus on their high "cost" rather than their deliberately-underfigured "benefit". (On their last deployments to the Gulf, the Iowas were also pulling double-duty as fast oilers to support nearby smaller warships, just for one.)
I thought that the 'investment risk' was considered too great in relation to capital input per tonnage unit (so to speak) since the advent of ATS/STS missile systems.?

Nuclear power and Point Defense Lasers (think Airborne Laser nose-turrets grafted onto the ship) would go a very long way to offset that, though.

Besides, if we built to original Iowa blueprints but with modern materials, I'll bet we could get it both stronger and lighter than the original, freeing tonnage for additional weapons and ammo, possibly even enough to armor the entire superstructure at the cost of a little topweight. New power, possibly even MHD propulsion once the technology matures a little more, new railguns being developed for the DDX program as secondary-battery (better yet, if we could redesign the 16"/50s to use railgun technology), and... Give me a blank check and a big enough shipyard, and it'd be scary what I could create. :eek: :D

Smaller UCAVs mean you could possibly even squeeze a small group of fighters aboard for aircover, although that'd mean some revamp to put the cats and crane back on the fantail, possibly even carving out space for a CL Brooklyn/St. Louis/Cleveland-type belowdeck hangar.

And for modern threats, if I know somebody's gonna try to administer me a Moskit suppository, if I can't be aboard a plane of my own shooting back (or better yet shooting first) I'd rather be aboard the New Jersey than the Sterett or any other puny little thing rolling down the ways today.

----------------
Now playing: John Barry - Bobsled Chase
via FoxyTunes

Story

I'll Lock Up
Peter Berg’s alien invasion movie “Battleship” has added a noob in R&B singer Rihanna, who will be making her feature film debut on the big-budget action movie.

“Battleship”, loosely based (very, very loosely based) on the Hasbro board game of the same name, will star Alexander Skarsgard and Taylor Kitsch as Naval commanders and brothers who face a superior alien threat that have arrived on the planet’s oceans for some unknown purpose, starting a war between the two species.

scheduled for a May 25, 2012 release.

http://www.scificool.com/singer-rihanna-enlists-in-peter-bergs-battleship/

Panache

A-List Customer
V.C. Brunswick said:
Too bad they didn't sign James Cameron to do this Battleship movie, not only would it be 3-D but he'd also heavily plagiarize the anime classic Space Cruiser Yamato. He could even throw in a cameo appearance by the Titanic for good measure. :D

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

Edit:
Silly me! I just read the blog. Forget Cameron, this DOES sound like a rip-off of Space Cruiser Yamato!

It'll get worse...

Coming to Theaters Summer 2035
Survivor: The Movie

They already have a Space Cruiser Yamoto movie almost out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPoNTjwPb5w

Cheers

Jamie

Does any modern navy actually have a battleship still in active service?

-Dave

The closest thing to a battleship today is the Russian battlecruiser Peter the Great (ex Yuri Andropov)

142_9123_bc4800627b7023a.jpg

Justin B

One Too Many
The answer is no, there are no current Battleships still in service or in reserve in any fleet in the world. The US has several on display as museum ships, and Japan has an old Pre-dreadnaught, but beyond those the mighty lords of the sea have perished from this earth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner