Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Battleship"

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
What's the target audience of this movie? No one under 25 knows the game Battleship. There really isnt much story to Battleship. lol

LD

RichardH

One of the Regulars
This movie is probably going to suck bigtime, like almost anything from Hollywood these days, so i dont think i'll waste my money on this one :p

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
B-7? Anything? Even the little submarine?

With every tv show, kids cartoon, comic book hero and remake of a remake coming out, is it any surprise they're turning board games into films?

Operation: The Musical! Coming soon to a theatre near you......

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Once again, from the text - Berg called the pic "a contemporary story ..

I translate that as a 21st Century techno-drama.

While we're on the subject, here's another game-turned-movie.

clue-the-movie.jpg

As hilarious and as terrible as this thread is, 'CLUE' was a bloody awesome movie. Okay it wasn't the greatest ever made, but I grew up watching it, and it's one of my favourites.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
To be fair to Hollywood, it's a fact of life that you cannot create something new. You've all heard the expressions. "The more things change, the more they stay the same", "Everything old is new again", "Reinvent the wheel", "It's all been done before".

Those aren't just tired cliches, they're true. There's only so many basic plots that you can create. And eventually, you're going to have to reuse them. It's how WELL you reuse them that determines whether your new production, be it a play, a book, a TV series, a movie...is a success or not.

'Downton Abbey' is a wonderful TV series, I'm sure many people here would agree.

But it's essentially the same as 'Upstairs Downstairs'.

In some ways, the Lord Peter Wimsey series is the same as the Jeeves & Wooster series, with the misadventures of master and servant.

The films 'Volcano', 'Deep Impact', 'Dante's Peak', '2012', all follow mankind's struggles against fantastical natural disasters and what happens during and after.

'Titanic', 'The Poseidon Adventure' and 'The Towering Inferno' all chronicle man's struggle against disasters in a built-up environment.

There are no truly 'original' ideas. There are only the same ideas. And different ways of interpreting them.

Flipped Lid

One of the Regulars
My guess is there are a lot of good screenplays submitted and turned down by the big studios because, in general, the people who go to movies these days don't have the attention span of a gnat. You've got to blow something up, kill somebody, or have some kind of wild special effect every couple of minutes. Great dialogue spoken by great characters is so . . . so . . . what's the word? . . . vintage?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner