Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beard Oil?

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Ok, I have looked for a mens grooming topic but the search button never gets me there. So the question is asked here.
How long has beard oil existed?
Over the years I have met many men with beards, full bushy beards, Ed Roth beards, designer stubble beards and the latest squared off fashioned beards. But, in all those years I never saw a bottle of so called 'Beard oil', even in the barbers.
A trip to the so called vintage fashion stores in London England and they all have it along with the 'Manbags'. Is it something new to make a few £££$$$ selling to the latest trend setting TV and Film personalities or has it been around for years?

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If you ever want to oil your beard and don't want to spend boutique prices just look for jojoba or argan oil. You can buy them bulk from many places and they're some of the more common oils used in beard and hair oils. The boutiques buy the same stuff, add some fragrance oil and sell at 100x the cost. My wife has very difficult hair and I buy bulk 16 oz. bottles of both of those oils and she says it makes a huge difference. I don't personally use beard oil because I'm not a fan of anything oily in my hair or beard.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for that, not being a bearded warrior I have only just started seeing it around, but as some say more relevant in fancy clothes boutiques. Mrs T puts oil on her hair, I expect thats a similar sort of thing.
Beards do seem a bit fashionable these days. Once upon a time you would only see neat trimmed, big bushy mountain man style or biker beards. Now there are more ZZ Top and those square cut styles. I like the big bushy myself but alas it would not suit me(I think).

I grew a very modest beard last year and did not know such a thing as beard grooming products existed. Started looking when my growth began to resemble a beard and always always looked unruly with a tendency to flow rightward so even inside the house it looked like my beard was in a strong wind. In desperation I sought out "product" for my growth and discovered waaaay too much choice. I am using The Bearded Ape products from England as they offered these little sample bottles. I have settled on beard wax as it tames the unruly beast. Beard oil is too transitory and I am not into carrying the little bottle with me so I can reapply during the day. I now have to find an unscented product as I HATE having smelly stuff period but that close to my nose is intolerable. Plus I believe a man should not smell but if he does it should only be of sweat, cigar smoke or whiskey!

bn1966

I'm not allowed a beard!!! I'd like a 'Viking' style Hedge but the Wife won't wear it (so to speak)!!

Only allowed a big Mustachio which I keep controlled with wax :)

Cocker

Practically Family
I now have to find an unscented product as I HATE having smelly stuff period but that close to my nose is intolerable. Plus I believe a man should not smell but if he does it should only be of sweat, cigar smoke or whiskey!

The Reuzel beard balm does have a scent, but it's on the pretty light side of it. Maybe you should give it a try?

Like you, my beard is somewhat bushy and kinda "flowing in the wind". I tried a couple beard oils (too scenty, not really effective), beard foam by Reuzel (pretty good for keeping it hydrated and somewhat tamed, but not enough) and, lately, was persuaded by my barber to give their beard balm a shot. It did a good job at ruling out stray hairs, keeping the beard compact and more "neat", as well as hydrated. I'm pretty satisifed about it.

The Reuzel beard balm does have a scent, but it's on the pretty light side of it. Maybe you should give it a try?

Like you, my beard is somewhat bushy and kinda "flowing in the wind". I tried a couple beard oils (too scenty, not really effective), beard foam by Reuzel (pretty good for keeping it hydrated and somewhat tamed, but not enough) and, lately, was persuaded by my barber to give their beard balm a shot. It did a good job at ruling out stray hairs, keeping the beard compact and more "neat", as well as hydrated. I'm pretty satisifed about it.
Is the balm an available product or the barber's concoction? I think "balm" and "wax" are I nterchangeable terms but not certain. I need to find a was/balm that is unscented.

Cocker

Practically Family
It's an available product. Thinking about it, I realised the balm may have a stronger scent than what I first thought, it's just that I got used to it really quickly. If you absolutely want a scentless one, I think you'd better keep on looking.

WineGuy

A-List Customer
I grew a very modest beard last year and did not know such a thing as beard grooming products existed. Started looking when my growth began to resemble a beard and always always looked unruly with a tendency to flow rightward so even inside the house it looked like my beard was in a strong wind. In desperation I sought out "product" for my growth and discovered waaaay too much choice. I am using The Bearded Ape products from England as they offered these little sample bottles. I have settled on beard wax as it tames the unruly beast. Beard oil is too transitory and I am not into carrying the little bottle with me so I can reapply during the day. I now have to find an unscented product as I HATE having smelly stuff period but that close to my nose is intolerable. Plus I believe a man should not smell but if he does it should only be of sweat, cigar smoke or whiskey!

Try Beaver Buddy Balmy Beard Oil (. www.beaverbuddy.net ). 75% certified organic golden Jojoba oil and 24% certified organic Argan oil (the remaining 1% are the organic essential oils that give it it's nice mild manly scent). Only $19.99 online for a 2 oz bottle and free shipping! I grew out a full beard over the last eight months and until I applied the oil my wife and female friends all complained my beard scratched them. Now soft and groomable with the oil. (full disclosure...I make it)

preview.jpeg

RedPop4

One Too Many
Methinks, searching the big river of South America would turn up a plethora of choices, which then results in the usual "what the HELL do I buy?"

I've tried beard butter, purchased at Bed, Bath, and Beyond, which I liked OK, it was Maestro's
517aw4vbitL._AC_US218_.jpg

My son has given me a beard balm, which is more like a wax from Beard of the Month Club. I am already preferring this one, as it really does rein in the wildish, straw-like gray of the beard.

Beard hair just like head hair has a life cycle at the end of which it is going to die & be shed, only to start growing again. Using good products on a regular basis on your beard will prolong that life cycle as best can be & reduce shedding.

Sidney Southwick

New in Town
Well it is true that men have grown their beard since ancient times. I guess they must be using some natural oils available then like jojoba oil, castor oil, olive oil, Eucalyptus Leaf Oil, etc. for a proper beard care which are some of the main ingredients of the beard oils available in the market. As there are many brands available in the market, going with a quality product is always a good idea.

Tiki Tom

I naively thought that having a beard would be easier than shaving. Wrong! OMG, the amount of grooming and trimming and plucking and oiling or waxing that is involved. Still. I am a vain creature and I think I look better with the beard than without. And my wife seems to agree. But when I first got into this, I was amazed and bewildered by the choices of product available. In my case, experimentation was the key, because I don't have any bearded friends. I use a light beard balm sometimes (wife likes the smell and the softness). And sometimes I use a heavier product that calls itself a clay, but it's sort of like a less sticky gel. Definitely controls those wild hairs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko