Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beater Brotherhood

1967Cougar390

Practically Family
Seems like I inadvertently opened a minor can of worms here.
I was unaware of the existing ‘beater’ thread, my bad, it is quite old.
We see so many fabulous and special hats here, so I thought it would be refreshing to some of a different nature.
Perhaps it would have been more appropriate to label the thread ‘hats we don’t mind kicking around’.
That is free of preconceived definitions and without ambiguity.

This is one thing that I just haven’t figured about the FL yet. It seems like some members that have been around for a while or since the beginning have an issue with the posting of new threads that have been covered in the past. I feel that this is a fine topic even if it has been covered somewhere in the archives of the FL. I have looked at a lot of old threads and most of the picture links have been lost or don’t work. So to me it’s refreshing to see topics that are new with pictures or links that work. I enjoy hats and what ever member of the FL brings to the table. After all it about having fun in this hobby so thanks for this thread. :)

Steven

This is one thing that I just haven’t figured about the FL yet. It seems like some members that have been around for a while or since the beginning have an issue with the posting of new threads that have been covered in the past.
The Mods make every effort to cut down duplication of threads by consolidation. It certainly makes their job a lot easier in monitoring the forum. We can certainly help them by resurrecting a thread that already exists instead of starting a new one. And if it's a question the answer is usually here in a past thread if one just looks. No need to post if your question is "should I order a 59 or a 60"? But some newbies just want to reinvent the wheel.

1967Cougar390

Practically Family
The Mods make every effort to cut down duplication of threads by consolidation. It certainly makes their job a lot easier in monitoring the forum. We can certainly help them by resurrecting a thread that already exists instead of starting a new one. And if it's a question the answer is usually here in a past thread if one just looks. No need to post if your question is "should I order a 59 or a 60"? But some newbies just want to reinvent the wheel.

I understand what you’re saying no argument there. No sense reinventing the wheel when a tune up will do. I’ve posted a newbie question that was put into it’s proper thread by the moderators, so I’m guilty. :)

I understand what you’re saying no argument there. No sense reinventing the wheel when a tune up will do. I’ve posted a newbie question that was put into it’s proper thread by the moderators, so I’m guilty. :)
Back when more research & documentation was being done, & less serial posting & kisses being blown (I love Moon's description), consolidation of such information helped make it easier to go back to find later.

I bow to the wisdom of the brethren here about what makes a beater. I don't necessarily baby any of my hats, save for a few very special ones. But this Stephen L. Stetson has become a "work hat". Working in the yard in the colder months, building sets at the theater, or maybe a quick wax job on the car, this SLS seems to get the nod. It is still a great looking hat, just not one that is pampered. I wore it all day at the community theater today building a stage set for the current show. I don't wear it while painting though, we do use a lot of black paint.

8Apr18 SLS Take Stage Annie front.jpg
8Apr18 SLS Take Stage Annie profile.jpg

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
From all that have recently posted on this topic, the concerns of anything "changing" should not be a worry about it. The Bartenders would work their magic if need be. As a "Certified" Fedora Lounger, (term my Husband came up for those here whom share the love and care and honesty and good will towards others), as long as you are not "out of line" then what is posted is more than acceptable. And I do desire to add that our Bartenders are some of the best individuals we could ever meet or know. There may be a concern about repeating something already started but I think some of that is to help the size of storing content and topic title, to keep it as organized as possible.

As to a beater hat..some might be the hat worn with little concern of the conditions it is worn in, or a hat that may have already had some issues with the hat from day one of ownership. So far, for us here we really don't have a true beater's hat that is worn regardless of conditions. Yet we do have hats that are more appropriate to wear in consideration of the weather or event or purpose of what the hat would be worn for. Less expensive straw hats for hot muggy weather, nicer looking well kept hats for wearing out and about and a few of the "top shelf" hats for being all dressed up when going someplace special.

1967Cougar390

Practically Family
I bow to the wisdom of the brethren here about what makes a beater. I don't necessarily baby any of my hats, save for a few very special ones. But this Stephen L. Stetson has become a "work hat". Working in the yard in the colder months, building sets at the theater, or maybe a quick wax job on the car, this SLS seems to get the nod. It is still a great looking hat, just not one that is pampered. I wore it all day at the community theater today building a stage set for the current show. I don't wear it while painting though, we do use a lot of black paint.

View attachment 113691 View attachment 113692

That is a great looking hat. The color and the binding on the brim look awesome. How wide is the brim?

Steven

Rockwater

A-List Customer
Since a have another of this color in excellent condition, this is my ‘no worries’ OPS Stratoliner. I received it with a toasted sweat, which I replaced, and gave it a gas bath which produced a prodigious amount of dirt removed. The felt is still a bit crinkled after much steam, but without other damage. It will catch a lot of dirt and sweat this year, but I’ll try to follow Red’s rule of no painting.

3CFCC7A9-0169-4713-845E-F7D4B2723519.jpeg
EE2BB6BC-4B40-4BA7-8320-CE9280DCFC02.jpeg
FDB105A1-2C25-4935-8C95-FFCBBFEDB88D.jpeg

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Since a have another of this color in excellent condition, this is my ‘no worries’ OPS Stratoliner. I received it with a toasted sweat, which I replaced, and gave it a gas bath which produced a prodigious amount of dirt removed. The felt is still a bit crinkled after much steam, but without other damage. It will catch a lot of dirt and sweat this year, but I’ll try to follow Red’s rule of no painting.

View attachment 113787 View attachment 113786 View attachment 113785

Pretty color.

Now that's a fantastic beater my friend.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up

Very, very nice. Two this color. Sweet.
Be well. Bowen

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
This is one thing that I just haven’t figured about the FL yet. It seems like some members that have been around for a while or since the beginning have an issue with the posting of new threads that have been covered in the past. I feel that this is a fine topic even if it has been covered somewhere in the archives of the FL. I have looked at a lot of old threads and most of the picture links have been lost or don’t work. So to me it’s refreshing to see topics that are new with pictures or links that work. I enjoy hats and what ever member of the FL brings to the table. After all it about having fun in this hobby so thanks for this thread. :)

Steven

Yes you know as long as what you post is appropriate, don't worry too much about the where and when aspect. You will see the Bartenders may move something around now and then but as long as what anyone does here is not "abusive" they won't mind it at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran