Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beater Brotherhood

fenris

One of the Regulars
Here's mine... A Christy's...

IMG_2656_exposure.jpg

It's now been downgraded to my Indy display shelf. This is also what I'm wearing in my avatar.

fenris

One of the Regulars
The christy's above has been reblocked numerous times... by me!

I've stretched on it so much that I've worn out the brim transition almost to the point of tearing. Now one side is of the brim is drooping. Stiffener might help, but since I don't really plan to wear it now, what's the point?

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Here's a Knox I was gullible enough to fish from the bay. The "slight" moth nips were extensive. Two of them were clean through the hat, the other 8 or 10 spots range from shallow to deep. I knew the sweat was shot. Now I need (STILL!) to find a replacement sweat to sew in before I can wear this beater with pride. The felt color is awesome, and the liner is perfect. Really a shame about the moths. My efforts to repair the felt with a tiny bit of white glue mixed with felt (gathered with sandpaper) obviously failed.

Oddly, the hat looks great from 5 feet away, like a pointillist painting.

BR Gordon

One Too Many
My beater is a Stetson 4X Open Road that I got on eBay.
This is how it arrived in the post.

After some work, this is the hat currently.

There are some lines that I haven't been able to remove, so I use this hat as my everyday goto hat.

J.B.

Practically Family
My beater is a Stetson 4X Open Road that I got on eBay....There are some lines that I haven't been able to remove, so I use this hat as my everyday goto hat.

Dang! I know that photos don't always tell a true story -- and your photos are exceptionally fine -- but that seems like it could be a go-to-church lid after you refurbed it?!

Why, I've got hats that -- if you tried matching their shade on a color chart -- would be called "Stain"... *yucky*

BR Gordon

One Too Many
Dang! I know that photos don't always tell a true story -- and your photos are exceptionally fine -- but that seems like it could be a go-to-church lid after you refurbed it?!

Why, I've got hats that -- if you tried matching their shade on a color chart -- would be called "Stain"... *yucky*

Thank you for your nice thoughts about my hat. I always like to wear something that looks good. About this hat as my beater there are two things: First I really enjoy hats and I'm constantly upgrading what I have, so my beater this year is a better hat than the beater that I had last year. This 4X is a pretty common hat as it comes from the 70's. Secondly, you're right, photos don't always tell the whole story.

BR Gordon

One Too Many
jbuckln and hato, Thank you for your nice comments, but when I took those photos I did my best to show the hat at it's best. I wasn't taking the photos to show a beater.

TipTop

Practically Family
$14 (multiple discounts) Outback Trader beaver, made in China; perfect for dog walking is lousy weather and it has stood up well.

15271992-lg.jpg

And this custom made by Charles who sells on E-Bay for "100% beaver brand new vintage hats" that he makes himself for $199. Quite good actually and this model is 3 years old. He told me recently that he's gotten a lot better over the 3 yr interval. I'd not be afraid to buy again.
15388853-lg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Rockwater

A-List Customer
I assume everybody has a few.
This one I bought as a designated beater a year ago in the deep discount section at the Stetson outlet in St Joseph. Oddly enough the felt is the same as a Premier Stratoliner, and the crown height is the same, but the brim is 2 1/8 and raw edged. Perhaps something went amiss in the binding process. No name model, cloth sweat. The wide ribbon had to go. It’s been through several complete soakings without effect.
Which hat helps you change a tire, mix cement or whatever? I know there is some funky ones out there.
39D1180F-8937-43FA-9910-5BBDAE630457.jpeg
3DA7E04B-C404-4C42-B839-CAC0090A80E1.jpeg
DCC1D296-4975-4080-926E-E646B8394969.jpeg

I assume everybody has a few.
This one I bought as a designated beater a year ago in the deep discount section at the Stetson outlet in St Joseph. Oddly enough the felt is the same as a Premier Stratoliner, and the crown height is the same, but the brim is 2 1/8 and raw edged. Perhaps something went amiss in the binding process. No name model, cloth sweat. The wide ribbon had to go. It’s been through several complete soakings without effect.
Which hat helps you change a tire, mix cement or whatever? I know there is some funky ones out there.
View attachment 112358 View attachment 112361 View attachment 112362

Good idea for a thread. I have a few.

That's a nice outlet score. The brim looks bigger than that.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner