Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beater Brotherhood

I think this one's my favorite. It looks much like Jed Clampett's hat.

Got this from a fuzzy ebay picture and a description which listed it in "good" shape. The brim was like this when I got it. The pinch hole, was too, but has grown despite my attempts to shore it up from inside. Someone put a lot of work into trying to "repair" this one.
Shortly after I got it, and seeing its condition, I tried to steam it into at least a little bit better shape- the oilskin behind the sweatband caught on fire from the heat through the felt, causing a bit (though not as much as you'd expect) of sweatband damage in addition to what's obvious with the felt. Not much that can be done to save this one.
IMG_2140.jpg

The only vintage hat I've ever thrown out was a '50s royal stetson that seemed like it had been soaked in grease. Nothing I did to it (and believe me I tried everything) would keep it from leaving rings on anything it was set on, from getting your hands greasy when you touched it. It was like someone had stored it in a big old oil drum.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
...He is a sheep farmer and gets his money worth out of hats.
Hi

Now that's a scary thought. I was an electrician in high school. We wired up a lot of hog confinements, so I spent one summer sharing a room for 10 hours a day with about 500 piglets. They were mostly about 30-100 pounders. When I got home from work and pulled my t-shirt over my head to take it off, I nearly yacked. Oddly enough, after the first 15 minutes or so, you blocked out the smell. We even ate lunch in there.

I'm betting that buying a used hat from a shepherd ain't any better than buying a used hat from a pig farmer.

Later

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
Oddly enough, after the first 15 minutes or so, you blocked out the smell. We even ate lunch in there.
Has to do with the smell receptors in human nose. We can only detect new smells for a few moments. Dogs, however, have a lot more smell receptors and they are never blocked - thus they are good at tracking etc. So, think of your dog when you next spend a day with sheep or pigs... ;)

We bought a used truck from a pig farmer, took YEARS to get the stank out.

Hi

Now that's a scary thought. I was an electrician in high school. We wired up a lot of hog confinements, so I spent one summer sharing a room for 10 hours a day with about 500 piglets. They were mostly about 30-100 pounders. When I got home from work and pulled my t-shirt over my head to take it off, I nearly yacked. Oddly enough, after the first 15 minutes or so, you blocked out the smell. We even ate lunch in there.

I'm betting that buying a used hat from a shepherd ain't any better than buying a used hat from a pig farmer.

Later

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Got this from a fuzzy ebay picture and a description which listed it in "good" shape. The brim was like this when I got it. The pinch hole, was too, but has grown despite my attempts to shore it up from inside. Someone put a lot of work into trying to "repair" this one.
Shortly after I got it, and seeing its condition, I tried to steam it into at least a little bit better shape- the oilskin behind the sweatband caught on fire from the heat through the felt, causing a bit (though not as much as you'd expect) of sweatband damage in addition to what's obvious with the felt. Not much that can be done to save this one.
IMG_2140.jpg

The only vintage hat I've ever thrown out was a '50s royal stetson that seemed like it had been soaked in grease. Nothing I did to it (and believe me I tried everything) would keep it from leaving rings on anything it was set on, from getting your hands greasy when you touched it. It was like someone had stored it in a big old oil drum.

I was waiting for this one. "Frankendora". Love it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner