1. Thread galleries are live! Please let us know what you think of them in the thread in the Observation Bar.

Beater Brotherhood

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Garrett, Sep 6, 2009.

1. CRH

CRH Call Me a Cab

Dinerman I'd swear that you look just like a young Jed Clampett. Way back before he ever put a stray bullet into that oil field :D .

2. mannySpaghetti

mannySpaghetti One of the Regulars

Here's my summer beater a Koko-kooler out of St. Louis from the 40's I think.
    [​IMG]
    I've spent a lot of days out in the yard and galavanting around town with this baby. Good 'ole sweat and gravity's making a mark on this straw for sure.

Then there's my wool Stetson Mallory. Though it's not the best of my hats, it is one of my favorites. Unlike my good felts that I baby probably way too much, I don't mind if this one hits the dirt or gets blown down the street, well, 'cause it's wool!
    [​IMG]

M Hatman, hatsRme and Steinbockhase like this.
  3. Lefty

Lefty I'll Lock Up

to accompany the "beaten" thread
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  4. scottyrocks

scottyrocks I'll Lock Up

If by 'beater' it is meant a hat that you dont care what happens to it, or what gets on it, then I guess I have two of them - a woolie that I do construction, including wallboard, plaster and paint, in:

[​IMG]

and this converted Bailey western:

[​IMG]

I wear two of my Akubras when doing yard work but I dont consider that beater-work.

M Hatman, hatsRme and Steinbockhase like this.
  5. DRB

DRB One Too Many

That is a really cool hat :cool:

6. warbird

warbird One Too Many

It has, ever so slight, a bit of taper. ;)

7. Lefty

Lefty I'll Lock Up

because it's still funny

8. Rabbit

Rabbit Call Me a Cab

Bump for a cool thread

My gardening hats. They may not look that bad in the pics...
    The Stetson Royal with wafer edge has seen better days, believe me.
    The Stetson OR 25 is still a great hat and sure can take a lot of beating. I took out the liner as it was badly stained.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Kane

Kane New in Town

Hi folks, I’ve recently begun to wear a felt fedora after years of wearing straw and canvas hats. I have always treated my hats as daily working garb. I work outside and it gets a little hot and dirty. I am not overtly hard on stuff, but my older hats have sweat stains and dirt, like a patina. I have a Stetson felt fedora that I’ve been wearing out quite a bit, and it still looks pretty nice. I’m looking forward to watching it become more broken in, although I doubt it will ever get to the point of Fred C. Dobbs’ or Indiana Jones’ fedora. So, who wears their nice felt fedora as a hard working daily driver, and how well has it held up?

10. deadlyhandsome

deadlyhandsome I'll Lock Up

Like many here, I have several hats and rotate them so no one hat receives all that much wear. I’ve acquired a few well-worn vintage hats, but when I’m shopping the vintage markets I’m trying to find hats that are as close to pristine as possible.

11. belfastboy

belfastboy Call Me a Cab

I concur with Deadly's post above. With so many hats I doubt I will ever wear any one of them enough to beat it up. I do however have hat cata
    gories. I have a western weight crossover and an old Borsalino in a mildly western style for my camping/hiking trips, 2 Akubras for any outings in heavy rain and then my "dress" fedoras. Quite likely my dress fedoras will never look that broken in. I carry a foldup silk sack in my pocket so when in doors, restaurants, theatre or church etc the hat gets place in the sack and if not on a chair then underneath. I have an old Stetson milan and a Panama for sweaty days.

12. johnnycanuck

johnnycanuck Call Me a Cab

There was a gentleman here that posted about fifteen years ago showing off a very well worn 25 year old Akubra Squatter and his new replacement one. His 25 year old squatter was stained,holes in the crown and patched. Ribbon frayed, it looked fantastic. Unfortunately all the pictures have been lost. Wish I made a copy all those years ago.
    Some of my older hats have sweat stains but I try to keep them in good order. One day they may look that loved.
    Johnny

13. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

Another member here who wears his various hats regularly, so I don't really have one specific "go to" hat that takes more use/abuse than the others and I don't own any vintage hats. My oldest is my first "real" hat (i.e. not a cheap wool felt), a dark brown Fed IV that is now a little over 10 years old. I've worn it in three or four rainstorms that saturated the felt, and a number of times while doing yard work that resulted in perspiration soaking through the felt, and I think it looks as good now as it did when I got it; maybe better:

[​IMG]

When I started wearing hats I was looking forward to the day when one or two of them started taking on that "beater" appearance, but I had no idea how resilient fur felt is. At this point I think the only way to get that look would be to run 'em over with a lawnmower. :confused:

14. Hurricane Jack

Hurricane Jack I'll Lock Up

15. Kane

Kane New in Town

Wow. Jack, that takes “distressed” to a whole new level!

16. Winston Carter

Winston Carter Practically Family

Zombie_61 likes this.
  17. belfastboy

belfastboy Call Me a Cab

Yep, from distressed all the way to traumatized!

18. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

I fall into the category of having so many hats at this point that it's unlikely most of them will actually be "beaters." However, given that I enjoy restoring hats, I have many that I view as more "expendable" than others. I have several customs I wear when I know they are going to get some stress, as well as some older hats of varying condition that I don't baby.

Perhaps Eric will chime in. He wears all of his hats as outdoor work hats and gets great performance out of them.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.