Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beautiful DATED SB 3-button grey/earth herringbone suit sz 44 Jun 17, 1959

Red Leader

One of the Regulars
Gentleman,

Another spectacular suit. I know that the fuller cut suits from the 1950 and 1960s don't get the same love as their earlier brethren, but this suit is special. Made by Traditionals and originally sold at Cotrells in Denver, CO, this is one of the finest 1950's suits I've ever seen. The soft, medium weight wool fabric is of a micro herringbone pattern that stands in stark contract to the more raucous patterns found in the 50s. This suit, instead, exudes an elegance that escapes a lot of other 1950s suits and jackets. It is 100% appropriate for business attire today and would do well in such an environment. I wish, wish, wish this suit was just a little smaller!

The coloration is a little hard to describe. It is by no means simply a 'brown suit'. The actual herringbone weave is a black/tan mixture that gives off a grey + earthen tone. To me, it is simply gorgeous.

The jacket is in the traditional 'Ivy League' pattern, single-breasted, with 3 buttons and smaller lapels. Single vent. It has a 1949 Union tag with red lettering and no (R). Pocket flaps and slanted breast pocket. The pants have a hollywood waist, no pleates, no cuffs and no suspender buttons. Has coin/watch pocket.

Very similar to my 1952 listed suit, the condition of this one is simply impeccable. I see no rips, tears, stains, wear marks, iron shining, moth holes, sweat stains, or anything else. It is magnificent and apart from needing a light pressing, looks like it could have been made last year. In fact, it was made on June 17, 1959, which makes it 54 years, 3 months, 2 weeks and 4 days old:D

Here is the sizing:

Jacket -

44" chest
42" waist
25" sleeves (+1")
18.5" shoulders
32" overall length (including collar)

Pants -

35" waist (+1.5")
41" overall length (+3.5" ...awesome for taller guys!)
29" inseam
9.5" cuffs (laying flat)

Please see pictures of this fine suit:

PA050665-vi.jpg

More accurate color rendition:
PA050657-vi.jpg

Suit and pants (not as 'brown' as this and other pictures show):

PA050658-vi.jpg

PA50660-vi.jpg

PA050660-vi.jpg

PA050662-vi.jpg

PA050663-vi.jpg

PA050664-vi.jpg

Price: $65 + $14 shipping in CONUS. If outside of USA, feel free to let me know and I'll get an exact quote.

Last edited:

Red Leader

One of the Regulars
Pictures of the pants:

Good color rendition of the suit here:

PA050666-vi.jpg

PA050668-vi.jpg

Seat of pants (There is NO stain by the seam...just a shadow):

PA050669-vi.jpg

PA050670-vi.jpg

Date of suit on inside of pocket flap:

PA050671-vi.jpg