Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beaver Brand impressions?

The seller on ebay said that her father bought hats and jackets and never wore them ,saying some jackets still had their tags on them . She definitely assured me that her father bought the hat while he lived in Arizona between 1950 qnd 1970 . BUT, it looks like it was purchased in Aspen. But that doesn't mean he wasn't on a trip then. The band does have Aspen on it ,but there might be an Aspen ,Arizona. It's all got me swingin'.

I don’t know any of the players, and I’m not trying to offend anyone, but we see hats all the time that were “owned by grandpa who passed away in 1958” when we know that hat was made in the 1970s or similar. Family history, memories, etc. are often not very reliable. Based on your photos this is a lower quality Beaver Brand hat. They were a discount bargain brand, but some of their top tier hats are great, but this ain’t one of them. It’s looks to be a good hat and might be just what you were after. Normally, I’ll avoid Beaver Brand hats of this era unless the price to super low.

I don’t doubt that it’s a rugged hat that many would be happy to own and wear the heck out of.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The seller on ebay said that her father bought hats and jackets and never wore them ,saying some jackets still had their tags on them . She definitely assured me that her father bought the hat while he lived in Arizona between 1950 qnd 1970 . BUT, it looks like it was purchased in Aspen. But that doesn't mean he wasn't on a trip then. The band does have Aspen on it ,but there might be an Aspen ,Arizona. It's all got me swingin'.
If its anything like the one I have that looks similar, its going to be a good serviceable hat. Is it worth hundreds of dollars and of quality of a bygone era? Probably not. But if you were looing for a serviceable western hat that will not put you back the cost of a modern 6X hat, you probably got a deal. Did you already buy it? Do you have it on hand? can you tell us the price range you paid? (under/over $100, $150, $200+?)
Johnny

It is 100% beaver felt but no markings to suggest it is an actual Beaver Brand. It is branded for a store named Baer's in Sonora CA.

I don’t remember, did it have this on the sweatband?

IMG_0663.jpeg

andy gump

New in Town
Beaver Brand hats were decent, well made, workaday hats. In terms of value they are not coveted as collectable vintage hats and there are lots to be had on the used market. Wear the hat, enjoy it but don't hold high expectations as to it appreciating in value as a collectable.
Thanks for your reply and knowledge. I think it's a nice hat and I like that it is several years old. I'm hoping that I have a higher beaver count at a low price than a lot of new hats that are expensive and don't have the beaver content. And it's older, maybe 1950 -70. or 80-90's . ,,,but it was never worn ,according to the seller.

andy gump

New in Town
If its anything like the one I have that looks similar, its going to be a good serviceable hat. Is it worth hundreds of dollars and of quality of a bygone era? Probably not. But if you were looing for a serviceable western hat that will not put you back the cost of a modern 6X hat, you probably got a deal. Did you already buy it? Do you have it on hand? can you tell us the price range you paid? (under/over $100, $150, $200+?)
Johnny
Yes, I bought it for 75 plus shipping, so around a hundred bucks. So, if I steam this hat ,can I put more of a prominent dents on the sides and shape brim.....?. Thanks for the info,.

andy gump

New in Town
I don’t know any of the players, and I’m not trying to offend anyone, but we see hats all the time that were “owned by grandpa who passed away in 1958” when we know that hat was made in the 1970s or similar. Family history, memories, etc. are often not very reliable. Based on your photos this is a lower quality Beaver Brand hat. They were a discount bargain brand, but some of their top tier hats are great, but this ain’t one of them. It’s looks to be a good hat and might be just what you were after. Normally, I’ll avoid Beaver Brand hats of this era unless the price to super low.

I don’t doubt that it’s a rugged hat that many would be happy to own and wear the heck out of.
Thanks Brent, I appreciate the knowledge. But did we decide on an era ? I have a beaver brand fedora that feels great. It has a sticker inside that says Mirakal water proof. Is that a low quality too ? Thanks

Thanks Brent, I appreciate the knowledge. But did we decide on an era ? I have a beaver brand fedora that feels great. It has a sticker inside that says Mirakal water proof. Is that a low quality too ? Thanks

I don’t claim to be a Beaver Brand (BB) expert.
The similar 5X BB hats I’ve handled or owned were sturdy and wearable, but they were not particularly high quality.

The only BB hats that have truly impressed me have been their 100% pure beaver offerings. This includes the pure beaver hats made by Langenberg under many different names.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes, I bought it for 75 plus shipping, so around a hundred bucks. So, if I steam this hat ,can I put more of a prominent dents on the sides and shape brim.....?. Thanks for the info,.
Sounds like a good deal. Mine sure feels like it’s at least 100% rabbit or better. I finally shaped mine last year. Brim was off. I put it on a hat stand and put it under a cold shower for about 5 minutes to give it a good soak. Molded the brim to the shape I wanted and just let it naturally dry.
My gauge on western hats is a brand new 6X Stetson is 100% rabbit felt and usually runs $250-$300 US. So I use that as a gauge to see what kind of deal I get. Sounds like you got a good deal.
Johnny

andy gump

New in Town
Thanks for the reply . When I bought it , I was thinking that the quality of vintage hats are much better than today's,,at least that's what I've been told . So ,I know that Beaver brand are not the " top shelf" of western style and fedoras. But ,I was hoping that the felt would be better than today's in the same range like like %x vintage would be better than 5x new. I'm a rookie at this . I've bought at least over 10 vintage fedoras, different brands. I just hope that a few of them are high quality ,,,we will see as I explore . ,,,,BUT ,and I mean a big BUTT ,my wife has had it with me buying hats !!!!! That's why I branched out to western style,she said that I need to quit buying fedoras. Well, now I've bought 2 western hats !!! A 1950's Emerson brand Open Road clone,which is shaped in the fedora style, and now this Beaver Brand cowboy hat . Silly rabbit ,tricks are for kids.

Thanks for the reply . When I bought it , I was thinking that the quality of vintage hats are much better than today's,,at least that's what I've been told . So ,I know that Beaver brand are not the " top shelf" of western style and fedoras. But ,I was hoping that the felt would be better than today's in the same range like like %x vintage would be better than 5x new. I'm a rookie at this . I've bought at least over 10 vintage fedoras, different brands. I just hope that a few of them are high quality ,,,we will see as I explore . ,,,,BUT ,and I mean a big BUTT ,my wife has had it with me buying hats !!!!! That's why I branched out to western style,she said that I need to quit buying fedoras. Well, now I've bought 2 western hats !!! A 1950's Emerson brand Open Road clone,which is shaped in the fedora style, and now this Beaver Brand cowboy hat . Silly rabbit ,tricks are for kids.
I told my wife to relax about my hat buying. "I am happy with just one wife but not happy with just one hat........count your blessings whilst you can!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points