Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Before and After Vintage

Crafty Doll

Familiar Face
kamikat said:
I've kinda gone back and forth with vintage for a long time. My husband and I took swing dance classes before I got pregnant with my first son. This current round of vintage is the longest I've staid vintage and I think it will stick. This picture was the catalyst for going back to vintage, about 4 years ago. I had been stuck in the typical mom rut, feeling too fat to take care of myself, spending more time on my children than myself. You can even see in my face that I'm not happy, even though it was a happy occasion.
4893325337_a5463d530e.jpg

I weigh just as much now as in that picture, but with better fitting clothes and my hair and make-up done, I feel so much better about myself.
4853622512_66d8a9a9d2.jpg

4721059907_5929190eaf.jpg

I must say that I love your vintage hair much better! I wish my sets looked just as smooth as yours. I usually have major frizz!

Grant Fan

Practically Family
Sweet Caroline said:
Grant Fan, I love your swimsuit!!! I was just thinking the other day that I want to get a vintage looking suit but I haven't looked for one yet. Great dress also :)

Sweet Caroline Thanks, I love it so much, it is and Esther Williams suit, you can get them off her site but I recommend looking at sites like My Baby Jo because the have better pictures. It was pricey but worth every penny it is really well made. As for the dress thanks I made it.

Miss Moonlight

A-List Customer
kamikat said:

You look wonderful! But I hope you won't mind...
*gasp* Your dogs! The blue! Beautiful! I grew up with standard Collies... sable and tricolors... that blue of yours is breathtaking!

And I love your dress in the second photo. :D

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Miss Moonlight said:
You look wonderful! But I hope you won't mind...
*gasp* Your dogs! The blue! Beautiful! I grew up with standard Collies... sable and tricolors... that blue of yours is breathtaking!

And I love your dress in the second photo. :D
Thanks!
Both pups are blues. They are full siblings, 1 year apart. Momma was a blue, poppa was a tricolor.

shebagrl

Familiar Face
Every one of you ladies look stunning. Honestly, this thread couldn't have been read at a better time in my life. You've inspired me to stop feeling so sorry for myself, being so lazy, begin taking better care of myself, and adding a bit of care into my everyday looks. Though I don't don the vintage every day, it's mainly because I don't have enough in the ol' wardrobe to pull it off. Time to do something about that! Heck, even if I don't have the duds, a little lippy goes a long way, right?

I dislike having my photo taken, but thought I'd share a few anyway. The first is one of my favorites, taken at a hangar dance with my friend Bob (can you believe he still fits his original uniform?!), the other on my bike, and the last/most recent is from my birthday last week (was very lazy with my hair, but we had been outside and it was hot!)

The-Blue-Star

New in Town
Kamikat I can't get over how stunning those photos are! The finger waves in the second vintage picture look amazing on you. Also, a little off topic but what a beautiful dog lol.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
shebagrl said:
Every one of you ladies look stunning. Honestly, this thread couldn't have been read at a better time in my life. You've inspired me to stop feeling so sorry for myself, being so lazy, begin taking better care of myself, and adding a bit of care into my everyday looks. Though I don't don the vintage every day, it's mainly because I don't have enough in the ol' wardrobe to pull it off. Time to do something about that! Heck, even if I don't have the duds, a little lippy goes a long way, right?

I dislike having my photo taken, but thought I'd share a few anyway. The first is one of my favorites, taken at a hangar dance with my friend Bob (can you believe he still fits his original uniform?!), the other on my bike, and the last/most recent is from my birthday last week (was very lazy with my hair, but we had been outside and it was hot!)

I like you pictures and I loved the last avatar pick you tookhad up. You look like someone straight out of a technicolor musical.

shebagrl

Familiar Face
deadpandiva said:
I like you pictures and I loved the last avatar pick you tookhad up. You look like someone straight out of a technicolor musical.

:eek: Thanks, Diva! You just made my day! I think I'll go back to that avatar when August is up...I like to drag out the birthday celebrations the whole month haha

Foofoogal

Banned
Shebagrl. With a bit of vintage and even now you look like a real "girl next door."
That is a compliment. :eusa_clap

You look like a Susan or a Margaret. lol

shebagrl

Familiar Face
Foofoogal said:
Shebagrl. With a bit of vintage and even now you look like a real "girl next door."
That is a compliment. :eusa_clap

You look like a Susan or a Margaret. lol

How about an 'Evelyn'? :)

That really is a big compliment -- thank you kindly!

Cora

New in Town
3 Years ago.
n5025631376192474233.jpg

About a year or so ago.
n50256313712966244241.jpg

6 or 7 months ago (sorry about the rather vulgar cleavage! :( )
10622147726143137502563.jpg

Today.
0909001618a.jpg

Sorry about the high-contrast. Apparently, I'm addicted to over-exposure :eusa_doh:

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I'm a flip-flopper. I don't dress vintage 24/7 - maybe only about 1/3 of the time in real life.

Here are a couple of "before/non-vintage" pics:
r2vnro.jpg

346lysp.jpg

And now, vintage. I'm in the middle, red dress:
civ.jpg

And dressed as a WAC for a dance:
9i9wmb.jpg

annet

One of the Regulars
Hi everyone!

I thought this might be an appropriate first post. I'm an art student from Belgium and I'm currently slowly switching my boring wardrobe to a more vintage style one. I'm not at all a purist on this and I'm pretty sure some of you might curse at me ;) but i tend to look for styles that flatter me and make me feel good-wether it's repro, actual vintage or modern clothing that is vintage inspired. I might chop off a hem when it is too long for me, or mix different era's up. I'm here to find knowledge and ideas on all kinds of different thing I don't know about yet. Not just for me, but also for my boyfriend! We've been together for a little over a year now, and he says that I gave him the courage to really change his regular boring attire into a smarter and more vintage inspired style.

Anyway, to start off, here is me at fifteen, in a snobby school where I desperately tried not to be noticed:

Ikke.jpg

note the fleece.

jurkje5.jpg

a few years later, i was brave enough to wear one of my grandmother's old dresses on vacation. and pair an almost see-through dress with white underwear. cough.

DSC_0037-1.jpg

this is me and my boyfriend, not exactly our daily wear, but all dressed up for a party with an elderly theme. he was an english pilot who fell into my potato field one day. i gave my mother a small heart attack because she thought i was serious. the only thing i really do wear irl are the shoes and sometimes the bag!

38446_10150223604380282_725430281_13620796_5344068_n.jpg

and this is what i look like now on a regular spring day... i have some more vintage outfits too but i should photograph them when there is actual daylight. maybe that was something to consider before making this post!

MissHannah

One Too Many
There's no real before and after with me as I have slipped in and out of vintage and through various subcultures over the years. So here is a selection:

Aged 15 or 16:
4789340943_22dbc3c79e_o.jpg

Aged 17:
4789967204_cb900a1d2b_z.jpg

Aged 21:
5011344660_5ba7b93019_z.jpg

Aged 27:
5011356910_ab5500feb2_z.jpg

Aged 30-ish:
5011356572_9a7a9de3af.jpg

Aged 32:
5010753915_b52cf1ac26_o.jpg