Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Being Human

W-D Forties

Practically Family
For those of you that listed this as one of your favourite series (including me). Being Human is back for another series on BBC3 this Sunday Night.

For those that haven't had the pleasure, it's the story of a vampire, a werewolf and a ghost who share a house. I know it sounds like a comedy, but it's not, although it is funny in parts. It's sexy, scary and quite poignant. The cast is excellent and the whole thing is oddly believable. From a slowish start it has built to a fantastic series. Well recommended.

For those not in the UK, it may be available on BBC iplayer.

Edward

Bartender
For those of you that listed this as one of your favourite series (including me). Being Human is back for another series on BBC3 this Sunday Night.

For those that haven't had the pleasure, it's the story of a vampire, a werewolf and a ghost who share a house. I know it sounds like a comedy, but it's not, although it is funny in parts. It's sexy, scary and quite poignant. The cast is excellent and the whole thing is oddly believable. From a slowish start it has built to a fantastic series. Well recommended.

For those not in the UK, it may be available on BBC iplayer.

It is indeed an excellent series. iPlayer is not available outside of the UK (to do with intellectual property, as well as the small matter of the licence fee), but the show is worth seeking out. FLoungers may be particularly interested in the flashbacks to memories belonging to the vampire character; these have included both the First Worth War and the early Sixties. Always well done in terms of period detail.

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
It just started on SYFY Channel in the US

That's the new American version that is based on the British version, and the commercials I've seen for it have NOT made me want to watch it. I LOVE the British version on BBC America! But we just canceled our cable plan so the point is now moot. Will have to start buying these on DVD.

W-D Forties

Practically Family
I had no idea that there was a US version. I'd love to have a peek to compare, although I think the original would be hard to beat. The casting is excellent, the actor who plays George particularly, no-one emotes like George. The special effects are pretty amazing for a small screen show (esp. in the UK on our shoestring budgets).

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Im loving where season 3 is going, though I hope they get off the vampire stuff and concentrate on the werewolf stuff. Mitchell gets on my nerves a lot.

"Im 150 years old and I keep doing the same things over and over and over and over again and I dont know why I cant be happy...blah blah blah."

Why is it in all this modern retelling of the folklore are werewolves 'weaker' than vampires? Whatever...

I refuse to watch the US version, because I know its going to be awful.

LD

Edward

Bartender
Why is it in all this modern retelling of the folklore are werewolves 'weaker' than vampires? Whatever...
LD

Meh. I'm not a dog person.

I'm not sure you're right, though - didn't George tear Herrick apart at the end of Series One?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Mitchell can moan as much as he likes as far as I'm concerned LD!

I actually like the guy they had playing Mitchell in the pilot a lot more than this guy. I'm sick of vampires anyway, but I was just right annoyed at how much of the story that character took up.

Im just mystified at how they are handling the werewolf story. Wolves are pack animals, right? But all the ones we have run a cross in the show all want to be alone. Yet the vampires are always like the mafia....snore.

And I *adore* George and Nina.

LD

LandGirl1980

New in Town
Vamps rule. Dogs drool.:D

Mitchell can whinge about his eternal struggle as much as he likes - it means he is on my screen more!

But - that said - I do LOVE George. Nina - not so much.

I am interested to see the US version - I had forgotten all about it.

Edward

Bartender
For a dog, I really do like Nina a lot. She doesn't take any nonsense, she's highly intelligent, and she doesn't hang around waiting for a man to complete her (her and George have never had that sort of ghastly co-dependency that I can see). Go her. Time we had some interesting vampire ladies too.

Here's hoping Mitchell and Annie don't get together. One romantic coupling on any show I like is quite enough to deal with, thank-you.

Vamps rule. Dogs drool.:D

Mitchell can whinge about his eternal struggle as much as he likes - it means he is on my screen more!

But - that said - I do LOVE George. Nina - not so much.

I am interested to see the US version - I had forgotten all about it.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
didn't George tear Herrick apart at the end of Series One?

Yeah, but he kind of went willingly. Even with the father and son duo they introduced. It was *so* easy for pops to get caught.
And Im with you on hoping they DONT put Mitchell and Annie together. Yuck! I get that Annie is the mother character (and I love that they keep her in the same outfit she died in lol ) and with them now living in a defunked B&B, its a great way to write in transient supernatural characters at whim.

LD

W-D Forties

Practically Family
I just saw a little of the US version on youtube and I don't think it bears comparison at all. The characters are simply not distinctive enough. The thing about George is that he's the kind of guy that when you get to know him, he's just lovely but he's no oil painting if you saw him in the street you wouldn't even notice him, Annie is sweet but quite nieve, and Mitchell, although gorgeous, is definitely dangerous and looks as though he doesn't wash often. None of them are stereotypes.

In the new version they seem to have taken the basic premise and run with it without giving the characters much thought. The actors are unmemorable and the woman who plays Annie is just plain irritating. And the house is too big and posh. The nice thing about the original is the ordinaryness of the set up.

Moan over! I'm glad we still have the original.

Edward

Bartender
Here's to a really dark ending tonight. My gut instinct is that this third series is (or should be) the last. I hope they don't let us and themselves down with a safe happy ending.

Edward

Bartender
Perfect place to end it. I'd have gone with one more death, but good for them, not weaselling out with some contrived happy ending. I hope they call time here; carrying on would be jumping the shark imo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner