Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Being Human

Almost Vintage

One of the Regulars
I wont get to see it until next Saturday (I think). From the posts I can infer what's going to happen, but I've been waiting for it ever since Annie got rescued. lol. I hope it's not the end only because it just started back and it's not been going long enough for me! If they just finish out the next few months maybe?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Oh, no. This show has at least one more season in it. I mean its only been a total of 24 episodes.

Its like what Ive told people from the start. This show was never about Mitchell, its always been about George. Mitchell and Annie are dead, their humanity is gone. All they can do is mimic it. With George, he is alive, a man, and yes, he can be manipulated, even loose his humanity, but he can always find and have redemption.

There is no way this is the end! A new villain, a line drawn in the sand...no. Season 4 is gonna be awesome.

LD

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Oh, no. This show has at least one more season in it. I mean its only been a total of 24 episodes.

That probably doesn't look like much from a US perspective, I suppose, but over here three six-episode seasons would be quite normal for something niche like this. A fourth season is possible, I suppose, but ratings and popularity seem to be less of a factor indicating when a show will end over here than in the US.

Its like what Ive told people from the start. This show was never about Mitchell, its always been about George. Mitchell and Annie are dead, their humanity is gone. All they can do is mimic it. With George, he is alive, a man, and yes, he can be manipulated, even loose his humanity, but he can always find and have redemption.

Fair analysis, interesting angle. It seems to me that Mitchell's story was complete - as should be Annie's by now. The wolves, I suppose, still have something in them though there is a big risk if they go on with such a change to the original dynamic. That said, I'd hate to see them try to replace Mitchell for the sake of keeping the original situation in place.

There is no way this is the end! A new villain, a line drawn in the sand...no. Season 4 is gonna be awesome.

We'll have to wait and see, I suppose. I see a very big danger of it jumping the shark if they try to keep it going too much longer, but inevitably I'll still watch it. I'd much prefer they leave it open ended than try to come up with some big resolution to the whole thing, but we'll see. The continuity announcement blurb referred to it only as "the final episode of Being Human", not last in the series or anything of that nature. I've not yet heard whether this is the end or if it has been recommissioned. I imagine that's the sort of news that will filter out over time.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Jumping the shark? Not at all.
I know people often hate when a main character gets killed off a show, but often writers dont do it for fear of fickle fans. Sometimes characters need to die. Evolution of characters also involves deaths of characters. Mitchell's storylines were often separate from the greater story arcs and I found difficult to integrate into the other character's lives, so they had to be apart of HIS story. Its always been lopsided.

I took a peek at the Being Human blog, and the verbiage sounds promising for a 4th season. Plus you CANT look at that final shot of George, Annie and Nina and not see a new set up. It was great!

Annie's story is nowhere near complete. Her door has not appeared, and there has been no explanation why she will not leave. She is staying for them, but no one has come to get her, or has succeeded in taking her. And to look at it in a ghost's perspective, they linger long after the drama.

LD

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Jumping the shark? Not at all.

It hasn't yet, I just see a danger of it. If it becomes the twee little doggy family at home, for instance.

I know people often hate when a main character gets killed off a show, but often writers dont do it for fear of fickle fans. Sometimes characters need to die. Evolution of characters also involves deaths of characters.

Absolutely - Mitchell was one of my favourite characters - alongside Herrick - but I cheered when they both died. It was the only place left to go for them, and anything else would have jumped the shark. One of the few things as bad as letting a show run long beyond its time is the dullness of all the main characters being safe from harm. Kills all the tension. It is extremely important now that they don't bring back Mitchell and Herrick, at least not in the present day. It would be a total sellout. Flashbacks from earlier periods in history with other vampires where germane to the story, sure. And I could see it as a possibility if they wanted to explain what happens to vampires after they get staked. We can't blanket assume that within the Being Human universe they just go into oblivion. The zombie girl was an undead too - albeit of a different variety - and she eventually passed to being a ghost to the next world as normal. If they do go down that route, though, I'd hate to see them do it with Mitchell, I'd prefer it implied. His final scene was so beautifully done that it would totally sell that out to bring him back for a ghostly goodbye (C/f Russell Davies' the way self-indulgence in bringing Rose back totally undermined the beauty of her original separation from the Doctor).

I took a peek at the Being Human blog, and the verbiage sounds promising for a 4th season. Plus you CANT look at that final shot of George, Annie and Nina and not see a new set up. It was great!

From what I hear, it has indeed now been confirmed.

Annie's story is nowhere near complete. Her door has not appeared, and there has been no explanation why she will not leave. She is staying for them, but no one has come to get her, or has succeeded in taking her. And to look at it in a ghost's perspective, they linger long after the drama.

If memory serves, her door has appeared at least twice, but she avoided going through it. There are two options, as I see it. Either they just wanted to keep her around, or there must be some bigger plot-point tied to her that is yet to come. What sticks out in my mind is that after Mitchell went to such an extent to bring her back from purgatory, she seemed to be able to go in there and then get back out again relatively easily this time.... Why is it that for all the other ghosts, it's a one way trip?

Perhaps the next series will see the conclusion to Annie's story, allowing her to move on, and then the others. It seems to me that there should be only one of them left at some point, I'd like that. Perhaps the ultimate end will see George and Nina's baby growing up as the surrogate son of the young fella that Macnair raised as his own?

It'll be interesting to see how they play out the question of the Old Ones - seems to me that's going to be the big theme of the next series. I just hope it doesn't become werewolves v vampires, not last because they're casting George and Nina as to good guys against the Old Ones. Don't get e wrong, I like them, but at the end of the day, I'll always be a cat person....

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I dont like guesstamating on stories, especially when they have not been written. Its always disappointing. This is one show where I enjoy being swept in the narrative and not thinking I know what the writers are going to concoct. Im content to let the art of the show be the art of the show.

And as for Annie, when her door came, that was at a point when she couldnt go because she had a reason to stay. Now, if her door were to come as shes making tea one morning, that would be something, but you never know.

And I think the characters need some sort of brake. Some sweetness of normality so they can appreciate it. I was hoping for a happy ending this past show. Constant turmoil exhausts not only the characters but the audience as well.

LD

Edward

Bartender
I dont like guesstamating on stories, especially when they have not been written. Its always disappointing. This is one show where I enjoy being swept in the narrative and not thinking I know what the writers are going to concoct. Im content to let the art of the show be the art of the show.

And as for Annie, when her door came, that was at a point when she couldnt go because she had a reason to stay. Now, if her door were to come as shes making tea one morning, that would be something, but you never know.

And I think the characters need some sort of brake. Some sweetness of normality so they can appreciate it. I was hoping for a happy ending this past show. Constant turmoil exhausts not only the characters but the audience as well.

LD

Oh, I'm just a bitter old fool who enjoys a good, unhappy ending. With Annie, I suppose it depends on how you look at it. I mean, with all the other ghosts we have seen, their doors have only appeared when it was their time to go. If Annie's is consistent with that (I don't see why not - except when the looney preacher guy summoned it for her... wonder if he might make a comeback, bearing in mind he was pulled into purgatory when not actually dead?), then she stayed by choice, which has to have repercussions sometime.

Edward

Bartender
I gave up watching after the first couple in this present series. The spark had completely gone for me.

I actually really enjoyed this series. It's one of the first shows in a long time I've watched all the way and never felt that there was a duff episode - compared to, say, the rebooted Doctor Who which I greatly enjoy but nonetheless by which I have frequently been frustrated or even somehow cheated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner