Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Being Our Vintage Best: How Ordinary Folks Can Inspire Us

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

Inspiration is always good ... but when it comes to vintage Golden Era 'presentation', we don't have many modern-day mentors. (Dita Von Teese?)

That's why, when ordinary folks just like us get together and do it 'to the nines' --in this case, at a 1936-themed New Year's Party in an English country home-- we can all benefit from their enthusiasm, effort, and loving determination to present themselves as expertly as possible.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...Country-Home&p=1378669&viewfull=1#post1378669

Thank you, Paddy, for being a part of this wonderful thing ... and for steering us to its inspirational photos, through which we can improve the style and authenticity of our vintage 'presentation':

DSCN9632.jpg

DSCN9631.jpg

63a1a011-1.jpg

DSCN9598.jpg

bron2.jpg

4b1576de-1.jpg

DSCN9579.jpg

bab3.jpg

d884eb5d-1.jpg

DSCN9506.jpg

Last edited:

Katinka von K.

A-List Customer
Well, Paddy can´t fool me. He obviously has a time machine and it seems like he´s not afraid to use it!

Seriously, every picture is an eye candy and I think I drooled a bit...:D

LinaSofia

A-List Customer
Wow this looks like the most fabulous party ever! I have never seen such a well-dressed vintage crowd! Where literally every person is dressed to period perfection. Very jealous I'm not part of this 'set'!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
If there are any wealthy Fedora Loungers with (or with access to) a large home and grounds, we could perhaps put together a Fedora Lounge weekend ... maybe even in the U.S.A.

With nearly 20,000 members around here, there's probably at least one Fedora Lounger with an estate and some land. Or no?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
The look on the guy's face that has the monocle is too funny!! All I can think is that this is going through his mind: "Wow! she is a cutie!!"
I think she's saying, "I'm sorry Sir but you'll have to remove your hat indoors.":p

white1.jpg

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Fascinating. I never knew that it was restored. I knew that the Houdini estate burned down many years ago and just the foundations remained.

Yep. When I was a kid, I lived on the top of the hill above the Houdini ruins. (The house had burned down in '58 and wasn't well-cleared. I'd hike down to it and explore among the charred wood beams and weed-covered stone walls.)

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
We had vintage meetings in germany too. The aim was the same. Meeting likeminded people and create an vintage atmosphere for a 1930s/1940s event.
Everybody tried to wear vintage clothes, reproductions or at least in a "classic style". Yes, it was a mix. We also wanted to keep it affordable and avoid to close out newbies. So there was no "stately house" and far less white tie.

So you see: It's perfectly doable but you have to decide if you want to be very authentic (and elitist) or make it possible for everyone who is interested.

WH1

Practically Family
A little later vintage but there is Sinatra's Twin Palms estate in Palm Springs, but which female lounger would recreate Ava Gardner's midnight (sans suit) swims in the piano shaped pool? HMMMMMMMMM, boggles the mind :whistling

I always thought a weekend there with visits to all of his old haunts would be kind of cool.

ToucanSam23

New in Town
That does indeed look like the most enjoyable party ever! Better than most of them these days. Not a single marijuana plant or "flat-cap" in sight! Woohoo! That party would have been such a good opportunity to take some fantastic shots with my 40's Ansco! I wonder if this will become a yearly event...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari