Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Belts and buckles

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
My interest in buckles was triggered by a recent Field Leathers / Leathertogs repro project. At that time Greg did offer any nice buckles to go with his jackets so I had to find one myself.

Finding a nice vintage buckle isn't easy for some reason. I had to a buy bunch before I finally found one that was perfect for the project: a 40s North and Judd (you can recognize them by their anchor stamp). Originally it was a slider buckle but Leathertogs jacket belts had eyelets so I added a prong.

8C7A7543-5E89-4FF9-96B9-7D693D9DD670.jpeg

When the project was finished I had a bunch of buckles left so I thought why not buy a couple of belts to go with the buckles. A brand new rabbit hole was discovered lol.

IMG_6224.jpeg

Last edited:

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Original western belts are hard to find in wearable condition and if you do find one it's usually crazy expensive.

IMG_6230.jpeg

These are repro's by RRL, the one on the right is made in USA, the other three are made in Italy. The two on the left started out black but they're slowly fading into brown.

IMG_6174.jpeg
IMG_6168.jpeg
IMG_6169.jpeg
IMG_6173.jpeg

Mich486

One Too Many
Did you check out Ace Western Belts? Seems to be the go to for the 50s style western belts. I’m sure some member will chime in with those.

East west in the UK stocks a few but they can be mto on Etsy as well. RRL are cool but always a bit of pre distressing, nothing wrong with it obviously.

Also if you haven’t already check out Ethan Newton of Bryceland’s for some cool pictures and ways to style these belts.

Marvin Berry

New in Town
These are cool, I guess I never realized they existed.

Can you post a pic of the inside of a belt with studs/jewels? (Trying to see how they're attached.)

Is there a source for the jewels and studs if I wanted to try my hand at making my own?

Marvin Berry

New in Town
Thanks for the directions to another rabbit hole Marc!

I am already in one making my own simple belts:

View attachment 594329

but the vintage ones are obviously in another zip code...
I love those buckles! I've been obsessively searching belts exactly style (I even have one of those brass keepers in my cart on one of the sites), looks like I should start focusing on making my own. Do you know if those octagon brass buckles come with double prongs?

Eta: nevermind, I just noticed your brown double prong belt.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
This guy has a nice selection, also some vintage repros:

TLW '90

Practically Family
I recently made this belt and Buckle to go with a holster I made.
20240202_130153.jpg

The belt isn't tooled or anything, because that's not a look I was after or a skill I currently have.
I could certainly do it, but not well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner