Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Berets, Anyone?

ErikFid

New in Town
The day after I chose the Auloronesa foulards with headband for the new weekly Special, [cynically] I was informed of the new prices of the Boneteria Auloronesa berets. And no, it's not good news: prices of some models will rise quite dramatically.
View attachment 120753 View attachment 120754
I already knew about the béret casquettes; very labour intensive models that simply couldn't be offered for the price originally set by the company's founder. I chose not to restock these and slowly sell out the (luckily reasonably large) stock that I have, at the original price. The béret casquettes would come well over $100.00.
View attachment 120751 View attachment 120752
The
Universels will have to go up in price, but it is the head-banded (sized) models that will see the most painful increase. The wholesale cost goes up by 80% and frankly, I am not quite sure how to adjust my prices in a way that these models can be continued...
For the month of June I'll keep prices as they are (and the Special stays on till Monday), but when the new stock comes in early July, prices will change.
View attachment 120755 View attachment 120756
The reason behind the increase is a combination of factors, the first is that M Denis Guédon (the founder of the company) didn't have to make a living from it. At the end of his long career in beret manufacturing he wanted to set up a small artisan company that would produce the world's best quality berets, made in the very birthplace and heartlands of the beret (Béarn) and hand it over to a suitable artisan when established (and he could retire). This has now happened and brings us to reason #2 (Mme Goupie does have to make a living from making berets) and #3 the six year tax free period to start and establish a company is now over - the company is faced with serious tax invoices.
View attachment 120758 View attachment 120759
I guess, in the end, it is the realisation that handmade products of such intense labour and very high quality become almost unaffordable in our day and age (and trust me; neither manufacturer or myself get rich from it...).

View attachment 120760 View attachment 120761
Sad but I don't see the drama. I have several Auronesa and Aoteroa berets and compared to my fedoras these berets are dirt cheap. Quality comes at a cost and if you don't want to pay that cost there are plenty cheaper options. I love my Czech berets at 1/3 of a Auloresa, but they are not the same.
In the end you get whgat you pay for!

Nico

One of the Regulars
Officially the second day of winter. Wearing the Czech Classic Mammoth today.

IMG_3407.jpg

Humanfactor

Familiar Face
I was at a used clothing store in the South End of Boston today and found this military béret. It was cotton, not sure what the insignia means. Any thoughts on where this is from? And the date made?

Attachments

• IMG_2280.JPG
    IMG_2280.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 121
  • beret old2.jpg
    beret old2.jpg
    685.6 KB · Views: 135
  • beret old.jpg
    beret old.jpg
    470.5 KB · Views: 112

Daan

Vendor
For those boineros living in the northern hemisphere, it may be welcome news to learn of the new cotton berets under the Boneteria Aotearoa label.
upload_2018-6-5_17-35-2.png
upload_2018-6-5_17-35-11.png
upload_2018-6-5_17-35-17.png

The agreement I have with the manufacturers of the berets made under my own label, is not to disclose who the manufacturer is. However, some experienced cotton beret wearers may feel they have seen similar berets before under another label...
upload_2018-6-5_17-36-37.png
upload_2018-6-5_17-36-46.png
upload_2018-6-5_17-36-54.png

The Aotearoa Berets in Cotton are of the same excellent quality as the wool models under the same label. Approximately 30.5cm in diameter, these berets come in a range of 6 colours; summer beret wear par excellence @ $46.00.

Nico

One of the Regulars
Nice one, Nick - I love that rust-red of Boneteria Auloronesa!
View attachment 122860 View attachment 122858
For me today a "rust" too, the
Aotearoa Rust under my own label; rust and fox still some of the most beautiful colours I have seen in berets (and when BA's prices go up next month, at only half their cost).
If I recall got the rust red BA from your special of the week couple of years ago.

Daan

Vendor
On SPECIAL this week, the Béret Héritage!
upload_2018-6-17_11-50-21.png
upload_2018-6-17_11-50-29.png

The Béret Héritage pays tribute to it's origins: Oloron Sainte Marie, the industrial birthplace of the beret.
The embroidered beret label depicts the cow and cross that are the coat of arms of the town; the historic bridge across the river Gave that can be seen from Laulhère's waterfront factory; the Pic du Midi (which can be seen from Oloron Sainte Marie on a clear day) and the sheep is a Merino, the noble race of sheep whose fine wool is used for the making of berets.
upload_2018-6-17_11-51-36.png
upload_2018-6-17_11-51-43.png

South Pacific Berets stocks the mid-weight Héritage in black, midnight-blue, green, hermes (red), Bordeaux, brown, santal, bubbel-gum, violet and khaki - a beautifully made 10-pouces (28cm diameter) beret that pays homage to the very origins of the beret. This beret comes in it's own gift box.
upload_2018-6-17_11-52-57.png
upload_2018-6-17_11-53-4.png

Now on Special for 1 week only (or as long as stock lasts) from $55.00 @ $42.50.
upload_2018-6-17_11-54-21.png
upload_2018-6-17_11-54-30.png

Babbo Philipe

A-List Customer
On SPECIAL this week, the Béret Héritage!
View attachment 123014 View attachment 123015
The Béret Héritage pays tribute to it's origins: Oloron Sainte Marie, the industrial birthplace of the beret.
The embroidered beret label depicts the cow and cross that are the coat of arms of the town; the historic bridge across the river Gave that can be seen from Laulhère's waterfront factory; the Pic du Midi (which can be seen from Oloron Sainte Marie on a clear day) and the sheep is a Merino, the noble race of sheep whose fine wool is used for the making of berets.
View attachment 123016 View attachment 123017
South Pacific Berets stocks the mid-weight Héritage in black, midnight-blue, green, hermes (red), Bordeaux, brown, santal, bubbel-gum, violet and khaki - a beautifully made 10-pouces (28cm diameter) beret that pays homage to the very origins of the beret. This beret comes in it's own gift box.
View attachment 123018 View attachment 123019
Now on Special for 1 week only (or as long as stock lasts) from $55.00 @ $42.50.
View attachment 123020 View attachment 123021
HI DAAN how is the thickness/density on these compared to the czech ones

Daan

Vendor
HI DAAN how is the thickness/density on these compared to the czech ones
I'd say the Héritage is a bit stiffer, not as soft to the touch as the Czech models are, but the Héritage is of course also smaller in diameter - the Czech Classics being 29cm in diameter. Both are medium weight berets, making them easy to wear in warm weather or in between seasons.
Maybe Nico could say some wise words; he has posted a few pictures here of himself with a Héritage beret..?

Nico

One of the Regulars
I'd say the Héritage is a bit stiffer, not as soft to the touch as the Czech models are, but the Héritage is of course also smaller in diameter - the Czech Classics being 29cm in diameter. Both are medium weight berets, making them easy to wear in warm weather or in between seasons.
Maybe Nico could say some wise words; he has posted a few pictures here of himself with a Héritage beret..?

Hi Daan,
Not much more I can add. Currently have four of these beauties, it's my beret of choice whilst working indoors or driving. As stated, medium weight and easy to wear.

Cheers
N

Daan

Vendor
I have worked in Croatia for a good while, but never encountered a drink named 'prochec'. However, it was darn hard to escape the daily doses of šljivovica (plum brandy), accompanied by any meeting (and often starting before breakfast...). Tough.
upload_2018-6-21_9-14-39.png
upload_2018-6-21_9-26-37.png

Berets combine well with any drink though, of course. Beer, like the gentleman with green beret above in Russia (L) and Germany (R), or wine, as enjoyed by Jacob Louis Kuechler in Pennsylvania (below, left).

upload_2018-6-21_9-16-31.png
upload_2018-6-21_9-19-24.png

Cognac and berets is a no-brainer really, as seen in advertisements like Jacquets' above, right and Bisquit's (below, left).
upload_2018-6-21_9-22-4.png
upload_2018-6-21_9-45-40.png

During the prohibition years, French from the islands of Saint Pierre and Miquelon (off the coast of Newfoundland, smuggled wine and spirits across the border into the US (above, right) and from the (French) Basque Country comes Izarra, the "Grande Liqueur of the Basque Country.
upload_2018-6-21_9-38-39.png
upload_2018-6-21_9-38-52.png

But not every boinero is deep into alcohol, of course. What would a gaucho be without maté or people like myself without coffee?
upload_2018-6-21_9-51-47.png
upload_2018-6-21_9-51-55.png

Babbo Philipe

A-List Customer
plum brandy, nice , never had it i bet its good

Prošek is a sweet dessert wine that is traditionally from the southern area of Dalmatia, Croatia. It is made using dried wine grapes in the passito method. Good quality Prošek is usually much more expensive by volume than other wines due to an average of seven times more grapes being needed to make the same amount of wine. While it can vary in the maximum amount, the alcohol level needed to be certified as a true dessert wine must be at least 15%.------------------------------- Daan i can t get enough of the pictures they are great, times of history of a simple day,, very reflective quality takes me away for a moment

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana