Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Berets, Anyone?

Kreissaege

One of the Regulars
Humm, I wonder if I need a bigger beret? I've been wearing my Tolosa Tupida 320 mm for a few weeks now.

Maybe it depends on the size of your head?
if you have a pin-size noggin, 320mm will be quite large. With my 60-61cm, there wont be a lot of fold left with a 320.

BTW, do heads shrink? I lost about 1cm in circumference since my last measurement about two years ago.
Unfortunately, my girth didnt shrink accordingly.

Inkstains

New in Town
I think that big-boy saucer pictured in the previous post is truly aspirational. Would save on sunblock. And, bonus, I'm pretty sure that no one would bother interrupting my daily walk to ask for driving directions. I mean, would you trust a fellow who cast a shadow as big as a tree?

As for shrinking heads as Kreissaege reports above, that's an alarming finding. I poked around online and that seems a frequently asked question. Another good reason for going with the one-size-fits all.

Back to berets....

Daan

Vendor
It has been a long wait, but they have finally made it to the South Pacific: the brand new berets by Boneteria Auloronesa.
I have said it before and after unpacking this large order, I'll say it again: likely the best berets you can find in this world!

photo%20%2821%29.JPG.opt266x208o0%2C0s266x208.JPG
photo%20%2813%29.JPG.opt130x201o0%2C0s130x201.JPG

Boneteria Auloronesa is a small artisan French beret manufacturer, established by a very dedicated and passionate boinero, the former technical director of Béatex-Laulhère. Boneteria Auloronesa is dedicated to ensure the manufacturing of traditional berets continues in France, from the very birth place of the beret: Oloron Sainte Marie in the Béarn.

11p.JPG

"Boneteria Auloronesa", it proudly states in the local language on the embroidered label, depicting the iconic two blue-horned red cows of the Béarn. Production is very small, by any standard (3500 units per year) and all made by just one very dedicated person.
South Pacific Berets stocks these berets in a large variety of diameters and sizes: headband-less berets ("bérets universel") in 9.5, 10, 10.5 and 11 pouces and berets with (an incredibly soft and comfortable leather) headband ("bérets garnis cuir") in 9, 10 and 11 pouces.

9.5.JPG.opt208x209o0%2C0s208x209.JPG
10p%20universal.JPG.opt209x208o0%2C0s209x208.JPG
photo%20%281%29.JPG.opt204x202o0%2C0s204x202.JPG

The 'Bérets Universel' are fitted with a satin drawstring, a unique feature that enables the wearer to adjust the size perfectly, without having to stretch the beret first.

jhe888

One of the Regulars
They look very nice. If you were inclined, I would love to see all of the various diameters on a model. I don't have a clear idea of how small a 9 pounce beret is, or how large a 11 is.

And, finally, are the berets universel universal enough to fit a 63 head?

Thanks.

Daan

Vendor
They look very nice. If you were inclined, I would love to see all of the various diameters on a model. I don't have a clear idea of how small a 9 pounce beret is, or how large a 11 is.

And, finally, are the berets universel universal enough to fit a 63 head?

Thanks.

No worries. The pictures below depict a 9 pouces and an 11 pouces beret on a mannequin. Mind though that the mannequin is a very small head size 56, so keep that in perspective. The same 11 pouces is shown on my own head (3rd picture, and I'm size 59).

photo%20%2818%29.JPG.opt237x217o0%2C0s237x217.JPG
11p.JPG

I checked the head opening of the 'universal' with a hat measuring tool and yes, you'd have no problem fitting this beret (for a size 63). It is an astonishingly simple adjustment system; just makes you wonder why no other manufacturer has thought of it! I have always been a fan of headband-less berets, but sometimes the stretching can be a bit of a job (especially on the Spanish berets). This system takes all the stretching away and also allows for tightening the fit if need be.

Since the use of 'pouces' is an ongoing struggle for some, here is a conversion table to metric sizes:
9 pouces = 256mm
9.5 pouces = 265mm
10 pouces = 280mm
10.5 pouces = 295mm
11 pouces = 310mm
That's for the French system in 'pouces'. Now, the Spanish use another antiquated sizing system for their diameters, 'pulgadas' (confusingly often named 'inches'):
9.5" = 221mm
10" = 233mm
10.5" = 244mm
11" = 256mm
11.5" = 267mm
12" = 279mm
12.5" = 291mm
13" = 302mm
13.5" = 314mm
14" = 326mm
15" = 349mm
16" = 372mm

In principal, I stick to metric sizes when listing the berets on the web site to avoid confusion. The exception are the French berets, where I list both metric sizes and pouces, as pouces are used by most other hat shops and that makes it easier to compare.
Instead of getting worked up by it (I still do, at times when the brain's a bit slow), I tell myself it is great to see how these very old systems are still in use, divided by lines of nationality and ethnicity (not often seen anymore in this global world).

jhe888

One of the Regulars
Thanks very much.

Darn those French and their 1/12 of a 12.8 inch foot. (Which is I think what a pounce is.) I guess I should call it an inch and close enough for government work.

ebonysw45

One of the Regulars
Chasseur Alpin beret

Just took receipt of my beret. I do love military stores. The beret is marked 2000 and it was new old stock with the tissue paper still in the beret.

12300120515_e185f94df1_z.jpg

Here it is compared to my txapeldun.

12300100865_d6b8d487d4_z.jpg

Last edited:

Daan

Vendor
Chasseur Alpin beret

Just took receipt of my beret. I do love military stores. The beret is marked 2000 and it was new old stock with the tissue paper still in the beret.

View attachment 9376

Nice one. This tarte was made by BeaTex (Béarn Textile), before the financially suffering company was bought by Cargo Promodis and the name returned to the original Laulhère. Otherwise, nothing changed - identical (winter version) tartes are still made by Laulhère in Oloron Sainte Marie.

adieu-beatex_930394_490x290.jpg
beatex-devient-laulhere-sur-la-facade-de-l-usine_930393_490x290.jpg

Before, and after the take over - same wall, different signs

ebonysw45

One of the Regulars
Hey, they didn't even bother to paint. I must say there is a nice weight to the beret. I can recommend grabbing one and I think Daan has them in stock but not for my small head and without the military tag/badge.

w5eo

New in Town
Just wanted to say that I got the Boina Exposición Super Lujo 242mm recently from Daan. I wanted a beret without a headband because I'm leery of getting the wrong size. It is fantastic. I wore in a freezing rain today and it kept me head warm and dry. It was easy to stretch to size.
I was worried about smirks and comments but only 2 people commented. One just said "Bonjour" and the other said "nice beret." I just wish I bought one years ago. I highly recommend South Pacific berets. I just bought another beret in brown.

Try a beret and wear it with confidence. You'll like it.

Moca

New in Town
It has been a long wait, but they have finally made it to the South Pacific: the brand new berets by Boneteria Auloronesa.
I have said it before and after unpacking this large order, I'll say it again: likely the best berets you can find in this world!

photo%20%2821%29.JPG.opt266x208o0%2C0s266x208.JPG
photo%20%2813%29.JPG.opt130x201o0%2C0s130x201.JPG

Boneteria Auloronesa is a small artisan French beret manufacturer, established by a very dedicated and passionate boinero, the former technical director of Béatex-Laulhère. Boneteria Auloronesa is dedicated to ensure the manufacturing of traditional berets continues in France, from the very birth place of the beret: Oloron Sainte Marie in the Béarn.

11p.JPG

"Boneteria Auloronesa", it proudly states in the local language on the embroidered label, depicting the iconic two blue-horned red cows of the Béarn. Production is very small, by any standard (3500 units per year) and all made by just one very dedicated person.
South Pacific Berets stocks these berets in a large variety of diameters and sizes: headband-less berets ("bérets universel") in 9.5, 10, 10.5 and 11 pouces and berets with (an incredibly soft and comfortable leather) headband ("bérets garnis cuir") in 9, 10 and 11 pouces.

10p%20universal.JPG.opt209x208o0%2C0s209x208.JPG
photo%20%281%29.JPG.opt204x202o0%2C0s204x202.JPG

The 'Bérets Universel' are fitted with a satin drawstring, a unique feature that enables the wearer to adjust the size perfectly, without having to stretch the beret first.

well mate, you may have just placed yourself out of business. LOVE the Auloronase beret - no reason to ever buy another beret if not to replace it by the same beret. great stuff!

ebonysw45

One of the Regulars
Not true :) it only comes in black, is not cotton and is not the largest. So that leaves plenty of new berets. It could however be you going to meeting beret.

ebonysw45

One of the Regulars
Chasseur Alpin beret. I also grabbed a second one as the person selling them had another new one. The price was too good to refuse.

12386018305_fd8a11a70f.jpg

Kreissaege

One of the Regulars
Actually, I have just received a small number of custom made boinas Tolosa Tupida without headband in 32cm, presently in the One-Offs Section.
PG%2032%20Headband-less.JPG.opt433x432o0%2C0s433x432.JPG

Mine arrived yestreday and its a great one!
32cm, 137gr.
Thinner than a 150 anos, but not as soft in the wool.
Quite stiff, doesnt flop around and will take some time to adopt the shape I am looking for.
Currently my choice no. one when looking for a lightweight and big basque cap.
The lining is a beautiful burgundy!

My other basque caps:

Castilla
-Cotton 99gr/29cm, stiffer than the TT

Tolosa Tupida
-Cotton 98gr/30cm, floppier than the Castilla
-Plato Grande Merino 12" 86gr/30cm, very soft, smooth surface, most lightweight wool
-Plato Grande Merino special edition SPB 137gr/32cm, ditto

SPB
-Mangu (black) 11,8" 97gr/30cm, very soft and floppy
-Colored 12,6" 104gr/32cm, ditto

Boinas Elosegui
-Basica 11.5" 96gr/30cm, soft, coarse
-Exposicion Tupida 13.5" 118gr/31cm, soft, smooth; a bit thicker in the wool than TT Plato Grande
-Super Lujo 12" 126gr/30cm, stiff, smooth; thicker than Exp. T.
-Super Lujo 13.5" 166gr/34cm,
-Super Lujo 14.5" 175gr/37cm,
-Anniversario 13" 126gr/30cm, smoother than the Super Lujo, same stiffness,
-Anniversario 13,5" 138gr/31cm, ditto

Blancq-Olibet
Chasseur Alpin "General" (source: SPB) 210gr/34cm, (size 60, no headband) very floppy; coarser and thicker as BE Super Lujo
Chasseur Alpin (source: Musee du Beret) 143gr/33cm, (ditto) thinner, denser and a wee bit coarser than BE Super Lujo, same stiffness

Baschifico A. Setti
Berretto Basco Popolare Operaio Uomo 55gr/25cm, thin and soft]

Last edited:

Inkstains

New in Town
Gracious.
You recall that old compliment, Kreissaege: My hat's off to you?
Well mine is off to you.
That comes to mind because I'm guessing it would take the better part of a half-hour for you to take your hats off to anyone or anything, judging from that inventory.
And P.S., some time ago you advised that I would enjoy my new Bakarra -- and you, of course, were right.
I do hope to hear more on this string on the subject of getting a beret to "adapt" to a desired shape. It seems to take a little time and no little effort.
Tally ho.

ebonysw45

One of the Regulars
It was colder and rainy today so I went with my chasseur alpin. Received a nice compliment from a French gentleman to the effect that it made him homesick, I was at the time buying a baguette. Also saw an older gentleman wearing a smallish beret all this in the Blue Mountains village of Blackheath.

12578100093_ccf5aed872.jpg

Last edited:

Daan

Vendor
It was colder and rainy today so I went with my chasseur alpin. Received a nice compliment from a French gentleman to the effect that it made him homesick, I was at the time buying a baguette. Also saw an older gentleman wearing a smallish beret all this in the Blue Mountains village of Blackheath.

View attachment 10028

Ah, berets and baguettes... I am actually quite keen on baguettes, but I always feel a bit awkward buying them, having a beret on my head and taking them to my French car. At least, there's no cigarette (Gauloises or Gitanes) dangling from my lips, but I still feel very much as if going to a fancy dress party.
Same with my striped navy/white shirts; just felt I had to give up on them...

809-Beret-et-baguettes.jpg
beret-noir-8524f_1.jpg
Beret-Baguette-bike-ride-in-Paris_1_1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24