Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Berets, Anyone?

Flick

Practically Family
I just came upon this beret. It is in new condition, still has the packing behind the leather band.

I would appreciate any information about it.

Unfortunately, it is just a bit too small for me and will go on sale on ebay soon.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Daan

Vendor
I just came upon this beret. It is in new condition, still has the packing behind the leather band.

I would appreciate any information about it.

Unfortunately, it is just a bit too small for me and will go on sale on ebay soon.

View attachment 10546

Nice beret by the looks of it. I don't know who the manufacturer behind the 'Barkeza' label was; it was a little used label that I have only seen on berets sold by the men's fashion store Madelios in Paris. It was quite likely made for Madelios, as was the custom for many beret stores to have their own label.

716935403_tp.jpg

Madelios, a much respected old store, has gone out of business in 2011.

43677-madelios-mens-clothing-1932-catalogue-14-pages-hprints-com.jpg

Inkstains

New in Town
Berets indoors?

I know, and live by, the rule that men remove their hats indoors. Emily Post says this includes the workplace, restaurants and coffee shops.

However, the beret seems apart from the cowboy hat, ballcap, hardhat etc . Anyway, that’s my conceit. What would Paris in the 1920s be without the cafe and the beret?

Me? I bend the hat rule for berets: Pubs, taverns, saloons – wear em. (Of course). Ditto cafes. Restaurants, no. (Unless I’m eating at a bar, in which case maybe yes, many no). My house, Si. A guest at someone else’s house, depends. Work, uh depends – yes in creative occupations or where eccentric behavior is tolerated, no when the boss dictates or when you’d make customers nervous. Art galleries, literary readings, concerts, exhibits, why of course. At retail stores, why not?

You?

Daan

Vendor
Berets indoors?

I know, and live by, the rule that men remove their hats indoors. Emily Post says this includes the workplace, restaurants and coffee shops.

However, the beret seems apart from the cowboy hat, ballcap, hardhat etc . Anyway, that’s my conceit. What would Paris in the 1920s be without the cafe and the beret?

Me? I bend the hat rule for berets: Pubs, taverns, saloons – wear em. (Of course). Ditto cafes. Restaurants, no. (Unless I’m eating at a bar, in which case maybe yes, many no). My house, Si. A guest at someone else’s house, depends. Work, uh depends – yes in creative occupations or where eccentric behavior is tolerated, no when the boss dictates or when you’d make customers nervous. Art galleries, literary readings, concerts, exhibits, why of course. At retail stores, why not?

You?

I do remove my beret when having a shower and usually when I go to bed, but otherwise, I see little reason to do so - one needs to keep the head warm, no?
In France and Spain, it was common to wear the beret both inside and outside the house, and most definitely when visiting a café or bar. A beret is a different kind of head covering altogether.
And yes, I remember my grandfather wearing his inside the house.

Bretagne+Au+bar%252C+Finist%25C3%25A8re%252C+1950.jpg
Brittany.+South+Finistere.+Commune+of+Esquibien.+Cafe+restaurant,+village+hall.+Sunday+30th+September,+1973.jpg

I had an unpleasant experience when my in-laws took me out to the Waiheke Island RSA (Returned Service Man's Ass'n - a rather reactionary club of NZ veterans) for a meal, where they insisted I had to remove my beret upon entering the premises (one doesn't walk out, when taken out by one's in-laws). Inside, what do I see? A whole wall lined with berets!
The experience made me sympathize ever more with Bertil Vallien.

DAJE

One of the Regulars
Some people are way too hung up on silly arbitrary "rules". Such "rules" don't serve any real purpose and exist only to give an excuse to attack others.

Here's my rule: you may wear anything you like anywhere you like and you are free to tell anyone who gives you a hard time over it to mind their own business. I don't interfere with you, you don't interfere with me, and everyone can get along fine.

Flick

Practically Family
Nice beret by the looks of it.

Madelios, a much respected old store, has gone out of business in 2011.

Thank you for your comments. It is a very nice hat. If it were my size, I'd love to keep it.

Daan

Vendor
I have a laulhere I never use whst do these go for sold

That's not so easy to answer without more information or photo. It all depends on the model, the quality, age and the state it's in. If you click here, you'll find all the new Laulhere berets I stock with prices; that might give you some idea.
Mind you, unless pre-1950's with rare label in superb condition, vintage berets don't generate much money...

ebonysw45

One of the Regulars
It was raining again today and I for some reason thought back to the weekend and how my beret performed in the rain. 3 hours and it was fairly damp on top which is fine but what if I'm out hiking in the rain for 8 days. I was then thinking about police covers and wondered if I could MacGyver a solution. I usually carry a couple of shower caps that I grab from hotels in my camera gear. Here is the result.

12943911953_8c2f924a52.jpg

You can grab 100 of these off eBay shipped for like $3 US.

sola fide

One of the Regulars
I picked up a beret in Paris because Dizzy Gillespie wore one in the 40s when Bebop jazz was being played. I never wore it, but still have it i my drawer. The hat either shrunk or my head got bigger.
Mike A

Daan

Vendor
Last of the Blancq-Olibets!

Since the announcement of the closure of France's oldest beret manufacturer Blancq-Olibet, last February, there has been an incredible rush on all the Blancq-Olibet berets left in stock.

395+BAKARRA.jpg
301+FANDANGO.jpg

Many have sold out while some models are only available in one or two sizes.

All what remains at present is now listed on one page (http://southpacificberets.com/blancq-olibet-clearance.php), apart from the headband-less (One-Size) berets, the Berrueta's and Petit Basques, of which there is still a reasonable stock.

574+9.JPG

If you'd like to own your piece of beret history, order now!

B.U.H.

New in Town
One thing I like about berets is that they are so versatile - I added three pictures, on all of them I am wearing the same beret, a czech Service Star with a badge I attached. I did not take it off between the photos, just reshaped it while it was on my head. Looks like three different hats.

barett-1.jpg barett-2.jpg barett-3.jpg

I like this beret a lot, wider than the usual military beret, a rather light quality. I had ordered two, but will offer the second one in the trade section soon, since I have a "Elósegui 150 Años Edición Limitada" incoming - high hopes for that one, too :)

Last edited:

Daan

Vendor
One thing I like about berets is that they are so versatile - I added three pictures, on all of them I am wearing the same beret, a czech Service Star with a badge I attached. I did not take it off between the photos, just reshaped it while it was on my head. Looks like three different hats.

I like this beret a lot, wider than the usual military beret, a rather light quality. I had ordered two, but will offer the second one in the trade section soon, since I have a "Elósegui 150 Años Edición Limitada" incoming - high hopes for that one, too :)

I totally agree. Strangely, the Czech made Service Star is a much underrated beret. I liked it so much that, despite it being a military model, I decided to stock these at South Pacific Berets.
It's a hybrid, really: It has the external headband with drawstring and (three) air vents as in military style berets, but the diameter of a Basque beret (in 11.5").
Originally, these berets were fitted with a colourful tartan lining, but manufacturer TONAK later changed to a grey viscose lining.

Tonak%20Lg.jpg
service%20star.jpg
service%20star%202.jpg

Nice berets, but I believe TONAK stopped manufacturing this model. There are still a few left in stock.

phone+boo+012.jpg
SANY0173.JPG

Daan

Vendor
Following my previous post on the Service Star, it now appears that TONAK stopped making all their men's berets. This confirms my worst fear; when re-ordering the classic Radiovka a couple of weeks ago, I couldn't get more than half of what I wished to order.
Looking at TONAK's own web shop, I see that all men's berets have disappeared.

radiovka.jpg
r%C3%A1diovka3.jpg
r%C3%A1diovka2.jpg

it would be a shame to see the Service Star go, but the discontinuation of the Radiovka is no less than a disaster (in beret terms); it is one of the classic berets that has been produced un-changed for decades and decades. Workers of whole factories wore it, almost as a kind of uniform.
At present, I only have one or a couple in each size, with a few dozen more on their way (arrival expected by mid-April) - click here.

R%25C3%25A1diovka.JPG

More information on the Radiovka and TONAK (since 1828!) can be found here and here.

Moca

New in Town
Following my previous post on the Service Star, it now appears that TONAK stopped making all their men's berets. This confirms my worst fear; when re-ordering the classic Radiovka a couple of weeks ago, I couldn't get more than half of what I wished to order.
Looking at TONAK's own web shop, I see that all men's berets have disappeared.

radiovka.jpg
r%C3%A1diovka3.jpg
r%C3%A1diovka2.jpg

it would be a shame to see the Service Star go, but the discontinuation of the Radiovka is no less than a disaster (in beret terms); it is one of the classic berets that has been produced un-changed for decades and decades. Workers of whole factories wore it, almost as a kind of uniform.
At present, I only have one or a couple in each size, with a few dozen more on their way (arrival expected by mid-April) - click here.

R%25C3%25A1diovka.JPG

More information on the Radiovka and TONAK (since 1828!) can be found here and here.

that's the 2nd beret factory closing in two months after bancq-obilet! unbelievable. i put in my order for another radiovka, great little berets. looking for more stuff after reading the post i found this very appropriate picture: RIP RADIOVKA on the net.
000013682_d3d1f3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy