Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Berets, Anyone?

Question to the experienced beret-wearers:

Has it to fit very close/tense or must it pull over lightly/lighter? I got size 59cm, really, but this one seems to be to tense.

GrayEyes

Familiar Face
daan, thank you for these details à propos headbands. they are very interesting.

the few hat stores near to me sell only laulhère and "new old stock" blancq-olibet. and only models with headbands. so i have to evaluate the other styles only by pictures on the internet.

Last edited:

foamy

A-List Customer
Daan is the beret man. I initially bought an inexpensive wool "fashion" beret of unremembered make with an elastic one-size-fits-all headband sewn in. Fit well, looked good, and then went missing.

Next was another inexpensive cotton beret, that I thought would be good for Summer. It too, was an elasticized (woven from/into the fabric) one-size headband. In hindsight, it left a lot to be desired as a "real" beret—but I loved the drape.

Then I discovered TFL and thought I'd move up a bit and purchased a Hoquy/Laulhere with a leather headband. It fit great out of the box. Felt good and looks sharp. Over the Summer, not having worn it, the headband shrunk and I've had to stretch it. It is a very nice beret and I still enjoy it, but it will leave a band on my forehead and is a bit uncomfortable for the first few minutes of wearing. It seems like it has to "warm-up" a bit.

Then, this thread surfaced. And what with a general beret education and Daan's discussions of headbands vs. no headband, I jumped and got a Boneteria Auloronesa Universal with a satin draw-string for sizing. Very nice beret and quite happy with it.

Cotton, Hoquy and Boneteria. What do you think? I actually have the day off and can do this sort of thing.

Attachments

• Cotton.jpg
    Cotton.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 277
  • Hoq.jpg
    Hoq.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 333
Last edited:

Daan

Vendor
The Introduction of Black Berets in the US Rangers

General Charles Echols "Pete" Spragins was the man who introduced the black beret to the uniform of the Airborne Rangers.

Ranger%2Bgeneral.jpg

Through four generations, members of Spragins' family attended the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, each ultimately achieving the rank of general.His great-grandfather, Maj. Gen. Stewart Van Vliet, served on Ulysses S. Grant's staff as quartermaster of the Union Army during the Civil War. His father, Maj. Gen. R.L. Spragins, served at Guadalcanal and with the "Iron Men of Metz," ultimately pushing through the Vosges with the 44th during the bitterly cold winter of 1944 to liberate Strasbourg during World War II.
Spragins volunteered for the Korean War and joined the Rangers at Fort Benning, Ga., as commander of the 10th Ranger Infantry Company (Airborne). In commemoration of the grueling training, mostly in the dark of night, he introduced the Rangers' signature black beret.

The beret was wildly popular with his troops and was worn unofficially through the Vietnam War. It was officially designated as part of the newly created battalions of U.S. Army Rangers in 1975, according to several online sources. Nice to see that his very first black beret was, indeed, a black Basque beret - cabilliou in place!

RJR

Daan,to be correct,only three US Army units have berets as required headgear currently;Spec.Forces(green Berets),Airborne(maroon)and the 75th Ranger Batt(Tan).I believe the black beret is still used with the army dress uniforms.Many troopers are "ranger qualified" and wear the "tab" but I believe that only the 75th are officially called rangers and wear the tan beret which is a color similar to that worn by the original rangers during the Revolution.

Daan

Vendor
If ever you needed a role model for a 'Tarte Alpin', then Earl de Blonville is your man!

Earl%20de%20B.jpg

One of the last old-time adventurers and discoverers, Australian Earl de Blonville (http://earldeblonville.com/) will be wearing his Auloronesa Foulard Alpin on his next expedition to the Arctic on the tall ship Courage, following in the footsteps of French explorer Jean-Baptiste Charcot. Charcot himself was a true boinero too, wearing his Alpin during both Antarctic and Arctic expeditions.

tumblr_m4617sQQan1qzdxioo1_540.jpg

Jean-Baptiste Charcot was appointed leader of the French Antarctic Expedition with the ship Français exploring the west coast of Graham Land from 1904 until 1907. The expedition reached Adelaide Island in 1905 and took pictures of the Palmer Archipelago and Loubet Coast. From 1908 until 1910, another expedition followed with the ship Pourquoi-Pas, exploring the Bellingshausen Sea and the Amundsen Sea and discovering Loubet Land, Marguerite Bay and Charcot Island, which was named after his father, Jean-Martin Charcot.

1000x550_video-jean-baptiste-charcot-une-epopee-scientifique_i2f.jpg

Later on, Jean-Baptiste Charcot explored Rockall in 1921 and Eastern Greenland and Svalbard from 1925 until 1936. He died when the Pourquoi-Pas? was wrecked in a storm off the coast of Iceland in 1936.

Tarte%20Alpin.JPG.opt242x242o0%2C0s242x242.JPG

And good news, this week on SPECIAL, all colours and black at a well reduced price!

ingineer

One Too Many
Daan;
Ordered your Alpine in Blue for my second beret. these things are just so handy.
need to Throw one into every parka
And here is one of my Pakols

Last edited:

Daan

Vendor
Daan;
Ordered your Alpine in Blue for my second beret. these things are just so handy.
need to Throw one into every parka
And here is one of my Pakols

Couldn't agree more! Mine are all over the place and can never find the one I want to wear; some in the car, the tank bag of the motorbike, bedroom, office, garden shed....

Nice pakol, like the colour.
Pakol+Grey+L.JPG

Today, I had to decide wearing my beloved first and black flatcap or my black beret. Hmmmmm, difficult! ;)

But I'm loving my black flatcap SOOO much! :D

Daan

Vendor
Having sold many berets to beret wearers around the world, I am always looking for ways of capturing the ultimate boinero's headgear into a unique package. Today I am delighted to announce the launch of a new range of berets that I feel proud to label under my own Boneteria Aotearoa label.
These berets are custom made by Boneteria Auloronesa in Oloron Sainte Marie, the birthplace of the beret in the French Béarn. An artisan product, made in small quantities and only available through Boneteria Aotearoa’s dedicated website.
1fed1f34-cb4e-44e2-9806-617e77dea04c.jpg

Boneteria Aotearoa - What's in a name?
Boneteria (Occitan): beret manufacturer, seller of berets > bonetaire, bonetaira nom: bonnetier, bonnetière
Aotearoa /ˈæɒˌtɪəˌroːə/ (noun): the Māori name for New Zealand. From Māori ao tea roa (Land of the Long White Cloud).
14e5b6d0-f28a-4387-b3a6-fb4f63572aef.jpg

There are two collections carrying the Boneteria Aotearoa label: the standard Foulards Universel and the Édition limitée.
52a9a39e-dcdc-4181-97b4-18c84935e52e.jpg

The first consists of foulard quality berets in French merino wool with black satin lining, fitted with liguette (the ingenious drawstring to adjust the size) and woven Boneteria Aotearoa label.
d15de82e-fda7-4e40-b941-aa0575b7c17a.jpg

The Foulards Édition limitée collection consists of a range of Foulards Universel and Grand Foulards Alpin garni cuir.
Made in a limited number from French merino wool in a soft finish with an iconic New Zealand inspired cotton lining.
8c4ec1cf-47c8-4d3a-b173-58eb60032ac4.jpg

The Grand Foulards Alpin garni cuir are fitted with a unique soft leather headband and a lining inspired by NZ pāua (abalone) shells.
All these berets are made to the highest standard and not available anywhere else.

Inkstainedwretch

One Too Many
Me at Ft. Bragg in July 1968, back when only one outfit was authorized to wear a beret. I was at Special Forces Training Group, and I'd finished First Phase, so I had my beret, but wouldn't be assigned an operational group until the end of training, so there's no flash behind the insignia. My father took this picture on a visit. My parents were married at Bragg during WWII. Bragg.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo