Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Berets, Anyone?

NoHorse

One of the Regulars
On SPECIAL this week, the Foulards Aotearoa with Linen Lining!
View attachment 69061 View attachment 69064
Some visitors/customers found that the large diameter berets are overvalued and over-represented in the SPECIALS... Okay, time to do a great SPECIAL on one of the nicest small plateau berets available, in 9p (25.6cm) and 10p (28 cm): The Foulards Aotearoa Linen - Taille; sized berets fitted with unbleached French linen lining and fitted with a non-animal based leatherette headband, carrying the woven Boneteria Aotearoa label.
View attachment 69065
For one week only and only 2 in each size (56-62) at a massive discount from $89.00 @ $64.50 only!
Lovely beret, Daan! In my case though, I recon that my bald pate would end up dirtying the linen with skin oils and sweat.

GigiL

New in Town
Today I received two beret orders: one from Boinas Elosegui containig three Dame berets priced at 25 Euro each, and one from Manufacture de Berets Auloronesa (my second order with this maker), containing one beret Universel priced at 35 Euro. The difference in workmanship, quality control and customer service between these two beret manufacturers was so striking that I decided to share my opinion, for what it’s worth, on this forum.

Workmanship and quality control:

The first thing I noticed was that the felted wool on the Auloronesa Universel is thicker and denser than that of the Boinas Dame which is quite thin and thus more suited for warmer and probably drier days. Upon weighing them, it turned out that the three Boinas berets (27,9 cm) weighed 76 grams, 78 grams, and 80 grams, while the Auloronesa Universel (26,6 cm) weighed 134 grams.

Also, the Boinas Dame berets presented several of what I would describe as wool fuzz-balls, which I removed prior to deciding to snap some pictures and write this review.

As the devil lies in the details, how else do the two brands compare in their finish, in the care with which the lining was sewn to the wool, and their quality control? I’ll let the pictures do the talking here.

Here is the Auloronesa:

And the much different Boinas Elosegui:

Indeed, the stitching on the Boinas berets makes them look like cheap seconds next to the Auloronesa.

Customer service and shipping charges within the EU:

Manufacture de Berets charged me 11,54 Euro for the shipping of one beret. I remember the cost being the same last time I ordered two berets from them, so you definitely save when ordering more. On the package there was no mention of what the actual shipping cost was, but I can’t imagine it being lower than the 11,54 Eur they charged me.

Boinas Elosegui’s shipping costs go up with the number of berets per order. For three berets, I was charged 25 Euro. And how much did Boinas Elosegui actually pay to ship my order? I was very surprised to find out that their shipping cost was only 9,30 Euro!!

View media item 1296
Furthermore, my Auloronesa order (just like the one before) arrived in 5 days, while my order with Boinas Elosegui arrived in 26 days! And, while I cannot fault Boinas Elosegui for the unusually long transit time (they shipped my order the day after I’d placed it), I do fault them for not replying neither to my email in which I was kindly asking them to check with the post office on the reason for the delay, nor to my follow-up email 5 days later, in which I was expressing my disappointment in their total lack of communication and I was requesting that they issue me a refund. But the order finally arrived today, just as I was preparing to file a Paypal claim.

Of course, everyone is free to draw their own conclusions here, but I guess it’s quite obvious which of these two companies earned my business for the future and which one has just lost it...

Daan

Vendor
universal are the best beret on the market

On a personal level, I agree, but there is more to it. Quality wise, the top level berets made by Boinas Elósegui are of a very high standard as well; the difference between an Auloronesa and an Exposición Año 1858 or Super Lujo in objectively compared quality is actually not that big. The biggest difference of course is the fitting of the liguette (the internal drawstring to adjust size) in the Auloronesa, which is 100% manual craftsmanship. The actual hood, the knitting and felting of both is of excellent quality. However, it is comparing apples and pears, these are different berets.
And that is very much so for the comparison with the boinas Dame too; these are models in Boinas Elósegui's range of basic fashion berets; more than apples and pears this is like comparing a 2CV with a Rolls Royce.
upload_2017-3-7_12-49-55.png
imp_photo_33285_1395513669.jpg.opt545x305o0%2C0s545x305.jpg

As for the berets with headband, I do say that Auloronesas are definitely better/more comfortable/higher quality than any other beret. The leatherette bands of the Taille models is incomparable with any other non-leather headband, while the soft and supple leather of the leather headbanded models is miles ahead from the stiff and rigid leather of Laulhere's and Boinas Elósegui's berets.

Attachments

• upload_2017-3-7_12-49-39.png
    upload_2017-3-7_12-49-39.png
    285.3 KB · Views: 118

GigiL

New in Town
“At Boinas Elósegui we not only stand behind the quality of our products…” - Boinas Elosegui

Apparently, this statement doesn’t apply to the Dame models.

In my opinion, no beret from any reputable company should have this kind of finishing and workmanship. You can't really argue with this:

And this is the case of not one, but three berets!

By contrast, Auloronesa seems to manage keeping a high standard in both workmanship and quality control in all of their models.

Regarding Boinas Elosegui’s customer service: to their defense, they don’t claim to stand behind it, and it’s my fault for assuming that they were.

Customer reviews, particularly when backed by factual evidence, such as mine help not only prospective buyers in making informed decisions, but also the companies themselves to either try harder to live up to their proclaimed standards or to relish in the reward of their hard work.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with either of these two beret manufacturers.

Last edited:
Reactions: RJR

Daan

Vendor
“At Boinas Elósegui we not only stand behind the quality of our products…” - Boinas Elosegui

Apparently, this statement doesn’t apply to the Dame models.

In my opinion, no beret from any reputable company should have this kind of finishing and workmanship. You can't really argue with this:

And this is the case of not one, but three berets!

By contrast, Auloronesa seems to manage keeping a high standard in both workmanship and quality control in all of their models.

Regarding Boinas Elosegui’s customer service: to their defense, they don’t claim to stand behind it, and it’s my fault for assuming that they were.

Customer reviews, particularly when backed by factual evidence, such as mine help not only prospective buyers in making informed decisions, but also the companies themselves to either try harder to live up to their proclaimed standards or to relish in the reward of their hard work.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with either of these two beret manufacturers.

I tried opening these files, but (with various browsers) can't do it. Every time I get this message:
The Fedora Lounge - Error
You do not have permission to view media.
Do other visitors have the same issue?

Babbo Philipe

A-List Customer
i see them fine, the stitching is a darn shame, Dame berets usually seem thinner anyway, if they are nice just remove the satin lining, they wear good anyway, maybe you can get a discount from the seller and get a decent beret for less, food for thought,

GrayEyes

Familiar Face
I won't argue with photographic evidence, but I do want to say that my experience with Elosgui has been partially different and partially the same.

SHIPPING: On my last order from Elosegui, the shipping fee did not increase as I added berets to my shopping cart. I purchased four berets: two for madame, one for a friend, and one for moi-même. I believe the shipping amount was 15 EUR.
However, like GigiL, it look a long time for the package to arrive. Based on what I could tell from the tracking information, the berets did not leave Tolosa for quite some time after I placed the order. A week or two. I do not know why. However, once they did leave, they arrived on my doorstep quite quickly -- only six days to go 6300 kilometers.

CUSTOMER SERVICE: I found that Elosegui is not good about replying to email inquires. I do not know why. Sometimes it takes three weeks for me to get a reply. Also, there is a language problem. They have a nice website in English, but I have had trouble getting customer service in English. I even called on the telephone, and there was no English-speaker at the factory. I have resorted to writing in Spanish. (And my Spanish very bad.)
When I received a defective beret, Elosegui did agree to refund my money . . . once they finally replied to my emails.

MANUFACTURE DE BERETS BONETERIA AULORONESA: What can I say? It's wonderful. The quality of the product is excellent. The customer service is outstanding. M. Guedon replies to my emails promptly. Since I write to him in French, language isn't an issue, and I cannot comment on having to communicate with him in English. Additionally, he has even done one-off special orders for me (size, color). I am very pleased and very grateful. I only hope that he and his successors keep the entreprise going for many, many years and with this sort of quality.

Daan

Vendor
I won't argue with photographic evidence, but I do want to say that my experience with Elosgui has been partially different and partially the same.

SHIPPING: On my last order from Elosegui, the shipping fee did not increase as I added berets to my shopping cart. I purchased four berets: two for madame, one for a friend, and one for moi-même. I believe the shipping amount was 15 EUR.
However, like GigiL, it look a long time for the package to arrive. Based on what I could tell from the tracking information, the berets did not leave Tolosa for quite some time after I placed the order. A week or two. I do not know why. However, once they did leave, they arrived on my doorstep quite quickly -- only six days to go 6300 kilometers.

CUSTOMER SERVICE: I found that Elosegui is not good about replying to email inquires. I do not know why. Sometimes it takes three weeks for me to get a reply. Also, there is a language problem. They have a nice website in English, but I have had trouble getting customer service in English. I even called on the telephone, and there was no English-speaker at the factory. I have resorted to writing in Spanish. (And my Spanish very bad.)
When I received a defective beret, Elosegui did agree to refund my money . . . once they finally replied to my emails.

MANUFACTURE DE BERETS BONETERIA AULORONESA: What can I say? It's wonderful. The quality of the product is excellent. The customer service is outstanding. M. Guedon replies to my emails promptly. Since I write to him in French, language isn't an issue, and I cannot comment on having to communicate with him in English. Additionally, he has even done one-off special orders for me (size, color). I am very pleased and very grateful. I only hope that he and his successors keep the entreprise going for many, many years and with this sort of quality.

I wish I could disagree, but no, communication with Boinas Elósegui is for me often quite frustrating too and drives me nuts at times. However, I understand a little about the background of these issues; the company may seem large for present day beret manufacturer standards (most other companies employ around 5 employees only -apart from Laulhere- and sometimes it is just the owner/operator), but this small business has to work extremely hard to survive in a harsh economic climate (with huge competition from "cheap labour countries" in Asia and Laulhere in France where it concerns berets for NATO military berets), a low euro and a workforce that can just manage to keep the business hanging on. One effect is that there is simply no money for a specific customer relations person.

At the same time, the company has done a great job over the past 12 months to get itself in the spotlight; by innovation (a series of completely new hats based on the principle of the beret, or boina and continuing to bring out new berets as well; think Año 1858, the Soleil and Pirineos models and the beautiful Paso Doble; working on promotions via fashion shows, video and ads; a revamp of the company's website and an openness for ideas to custom make specific berets that was unthinkable only a couple of years ago.

Don't get me wrong; this is no excuse on BE's behalf and if you find your beret(s) have a material or manufacturing fault, I would definitely contact the company or the outlet you bought the berets from. For some silly reason, I am unable to see the pictures Gigil posted, but I am sure the manufacturer would take any complaint seriously. I stock only a few of the boinas Dame and can only say these are perfectly well made, stitching and all (and would certainly refund/exchange if a customer had complaints!).

The discussion of what is "the best" beret I always find rather silly; (within the same quality bracket or price range) it really comes down to personal preferences. I have customers who want nothing but an Auloronesa/Aotearoa (see some posts published on this forum) and just the same, I have customers who insist on an Elósegui or Laulhere. Personally, I wear my Auloronesas probably as much as my Super Lujo Grandes (and in the winter my Laulhere Alpin) - all are berets of exceptional quality, comfort and craftsmanship.

Last edited:

101 Pathfinder

A-List Customer
I wore the maroon beret as a Paratrooper & as a Pathfinder. I always bought "Denmark" brand because they were simply better quality and had a generous
amount of "flop". We wore the beret with the unit flash and crest over our left eye and the flop pulled over the right side of our head. The leather band was one inch or one finger above the eyebrow.

101 Pathfinder

A-List Customer
I wore the maroon beret as a Paratrooper & as a Pathfinder. I always bought "Denmark" brand because they were simply better quality and had a generous
amount of "flop". We wore the beret with the unit flash and crest over our left eye and the flop pulled over the right side of our head. The leather band was one inch or one finger above the eyebrow.
I'm bottom left.
38090_418966367117_395363_n.jpg

Daan

Vendor
So sorry but I can't agree, in fact I think it's very picky to compare a cheap (good beret) with a high-class expensive beret.

Why to blame if the shipping cost was so cheap?
All in all, if I pay attention to my favorite summer beret the lining is a mess but to tell the truth I don't care.

Good comment, Almas. Not as a retailer, but on a personal level, I agree. The example given by Almas is a great one: the lining of the berets at the Fabrica Nacional de Sombreros in Montevideo is sewed in by hand and I very much appreciate that personal touch, real handwork with all it's flaws versus the perfectly straight stitching of machine sewing (but yes, I understand that not everyone feels the same).
upload_2017-3-9_12-38-43.png

One of the aspects that defines the quality of a beret, is it's "touch"; how soft and smooth is the surface of the beret. The more velvety the feel, the longer the process of shaving and brushing and with that, the higher cost. Therefore, a boina Dame (or a Basica, Basco Roma, Espinosa, and all those other more basic -lower cost- berets), will not feel like an Auloronesa (or Super Lujo, Pedrito and all those other high end -more expensive- berets).

FATS88

One of the Regulars
I have two "souvenir" unworn berets ; a black one with KJAZ in gold script, and a blue FFR ( French national rugby team)
The KJAZ was bought along with other items sold during a fund raising drive in 1994 to keep the nation's premier jazz station on the air...we failed
And the Le Bleu was bought while in Paris

Bob Houlihan (bottom left wearing one)

gear.jpg

Chapeau Le Bleu
beret-officiel-xv-de-france-par-laulhere.jpg

Have you heard of this website?
http://www.museeduberet.com/

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member