Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Berets, Anyone?

Bouwerij_Jongen

One of the Regulars
My first beret purchase was an Elosegui 150 from Daan.
It is truly a beret of the utmost quality and comfort.

I also own some Super Lujo Grandes in other colors.
They are also of very high quality and comfort;
not as soft to the touch as the 150 and to fit my 59 cm head needed a few nights on the Hat Jack.
They will with a little wearing and tugging take on a preferred shape.

The 150 and Super Lujos are my go to berets for attending social events
where I can feel comfortable wearing a beret inside.

GrayEyes

Familiar Face
Nice to see The Beret Project mentioned in this month's GQ Magazine. I like DJ/fashion guru/artist/writer Christos Tolera's (pictured below) comment: "They're not sexy. Which is sexy, right?"
View attachment 107222

Thanks for pointing out the GQ article. I agree with the author that the British have some peculiar (and somewhat condescending) obsession with markers of "Frenchness", such as berets. I can imagine that a beret wearer in London would encounter some irksome remarks from strangers.

Fortunately, I have never come across such a reaction in Germany. Not too long ago, I was in Berlin for two weeks on business. Not including my own beret, I must have seen at least two berets every day, almost all small diameter, usually on middle-aged or older men, usually worn with nice clothes (an overcoat or sport coat).

Matthys

New in Town
1.JPG
2.JPG
Hi everyone,
I'ld like to get this beret, but simply can't find it. It's from the brand Laulhère.
After contacting the Laulhère store in Paris, the store responsible said it's from the collection that ran from december '16 untill september 2017. It's not available in their store anymore....
Can anyone help out?
Thanks!

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    467.8 KB · Views: 108

Daan

Vendor
View attachment 108299 View attachment 108300 Hi everyone,
I'ld like to get this beret, but simply can't find it. It's from the brand Laulhère.
After contacting the Laulhère store in Paris, the store responsible said it's from the collection that ran from december '16 untill september 2017. It's not available in their store anymore....
Can anyone help out?
Thanks!
I had a quick look at the stock of some fellow beret sellers, but no one seems to stock this beret (anymore). Laulhère has taken a new direction since 2014, with much more focus on fashion than on the classic Basque berets. That is, altogether, great for the attention given to berets by the media, but it also results in hypes and models that are available for a short period of time only, rapidly replaced by the next fashionable model (see some samples below). I fear you may struggle to find this beret anywhere; best thing I can think of is to keep an eye on sites like Ebay and such.
upload_2018-2-28_10-9-6.png
upload_2018-2-28_10-9-14.png
upload_2018-2-28_10-9-23.png
upload_2018-2-28_10-9-37.png
upload_2018-2-28_10-11-12.png

NoHorse

One of the Regulars
Received my 31cm Cotton Boina Tolosa Tupida from Daan today.

Much more substantial than I had expected. The cotton knit is quite dense and the beret has a nice weight to it. The Navy is a dark true Navy color. Quality workmanship throughout.

But my GAWD! Such a width... who needs umbrellas! I will be using my “rolled towels inside the rim” method for making the edge rounded (instead of saucer-like). It worked wonders on my recent 1858. In doing so, I might just accidentally use slightly warm water... if the overall width loses 1cm... or more... well then that’s fine.

If we get anything like warm weather this year then I look forward to using it.

Humanfactor

Familiar Face
Received my 31cm Cotton Boina Tolosa Tupida from Daan today.

Much more substantial than I had expected. The cotton knit is quite dense and the beret has a nice weight to it. The Navy is a dark true Navy color. Quality workmanship throughout.

But my GAWD! Such a width... who needs umbrellas! I will be using my “rolled towels inside the rim” method for making the edge rounded (instead of saucer-like). It worked wonders on my recent 1858. In doing so, I might just accidentally use slightly warm water... if the overall width loses 1cm... or more... well then that’s fine.

If we get anything like warm weather this year then I look forward to using it.

Sounds like the perfect sun hat in hot weather. Enjoy. Post a photo! Cheers.

Kreissaege

One of the Regulars
Ok, I admit to being quite picky with berets, but life is too short to wear a bad one.

Finally, I managed to make one of my berets of french origin (Musee du Beret) wearable for my head.
IME (3 out of 3) french berets of a fixed size are all over the place, size-wise. They may be able to do them nice, but if my 61.5cm head is way to small for a size 60 beret, then there is something fundamentally wrong.

Anyway, this one was doused in hot water some years ago, which made it shrink, but it still did fit too loose. [So it went into the drawer, next to the unwearable-because-of-its-floppiness Boneteria Auloronesa "Alpine" (anyone wants it?).]

But today I decided to play with it and have sewn in a string a la BA. Tied down to the right circumference, now this beret does fit quite nicely and is an alternative to my spanish ones. :)

P3030065_ji_jiw_cr.jpg
P3030066_ji_jiw.jpg

Last edited:

Babbo Philipe

A-List Customer
one of my favorites is the one Daan is wearing at the bottom of the picture, Bourdeaux---actully the curcuma is a fine color but just a little darker, it may grow on me

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points