1. Lounge Update headed your way. Check the thread in the Observation Bar. If you don't like the light style, click the light bulb at the top-right of your screen.

Berets, Anyone?

Discussion in 'Hats' started by NonEntity, Jan 26, 2008.

1. NoHorse

NoHorse Familiar Face

Philipe:

“Keep warm, wear a hat” You do mean wear a BERET, do you not? :p

Humanfactor and Daan like this.
  2. leftyguy

leftyguy New in Town

Its catching on....
    iuI5PPW5D9.jpg

johnnycanuck, Humanfactor and Daan like this.
  3. Philipe

Philipe One of the Regulars

oh my

4. Kreissaege

Kreissaege One of the Regulars

WP_20180314_10_55_32_Pro.jpg A short break in the school garden with Boinas Elosegui 150 anos edicion limitada.

5. Kreissaege

But only if its not too cold or too hot. ;)

6. foamy

foamy A-List Customer

This 310 and some same sized Auloronesa's (different colors) get the bulk of my head time. I don't know, but they behave and wear as you'd like them to and they have enough size to be exceptionally useful. That, and the felt is hard to beat and takes a beating. They're the sweet spot in my beret collection. This one has been living in my car as my "go-to" for a while now. Once Summer comes along, I'll have to stop that.

Aotearoa.jpg

7. Nico

Nico One of the Regulars

The Auloronesa's are also my go to berets. I will be taking a couple with me to Antarctica in January.

8. ukali1066

ukali1066 Practically Family

9. foamy

foamy A-List Customer

I have one of those in Navy, but with-out the sweat band. Nice little beret—my smallest. You'll enjoy it, I'm sure.

10. Daan

Daan Vendor

A new page on the South Pacific Berets website, dedicated solely to the "tartes" of the Chasseurs Alpins.
    upload_2018-3-19_13-24-16.png
    And with that, I introduce the Cambo: the genuine béret Chasseur Alpin in 336mm black merino wool, fitted with a cotton lining and the traditional Cambo label.
    upload_2018-3-19_13-25-47.png upload_2018-3-19_13-25-55.png upload_2018-3-19_13-26-2.png
    Available in size 56-62. The last bulwark between the head and the clouds!
    upload_2018-3-19_13-24-31.png

11. GrayEyes

GrayEyes Familiar Face

Bouwerij_Jongen and Daan like this.
  12. Daan

Daan Vendor

That would be blasphemy! But.., the first photo actually shows two txapela's framed behind glass on the casks of cider. Quite an honourable position, I'd say.
    upload_2018-3-19_15-21-58.png
    Mind you, most photo's in the article are taken inside and, although many Basques (and the odd New Zealander, for that matter) keep their berets on inside, many take their beret off indoors.

13. GrayEyes

GrayEyes Familiar Face

Framed! Well, one might see it as a place of honor or as stuck under glass for display. I think I'd rather see them on heads. Speaking of which . . .

This NYT article

has a few berets on heads, outdoors and indoors. That's more like it!

ErikFid, Bouwerij_Jongen and Daan like this.
  14. Daan

Daan Vendor

Yes, palombière. I published a post on this pigeon hunt a few years ago:
    upload_2018-3-20_14-54-50.png upload_2018-3-20_14-54-58.png
    Palombière is a form of hunting, specifically hunting wood pigeons, in the southwest of France. The wood pigeons are caught on their migratory way from northern Europe to the Iberian Peninsula. The annual “harvest” is about 800,000 animals. It is a traditional form of hunting, mostly by men who eat and drink together in their dugouts. It has a great social importance in the country regions where this form of hunting is exercised. The pigeons are shot from there, but also lured and trapped with nets by using a “leader” (ie, a captivated wood pigeon). The captive birds are processed into traditional French cuisine such as Salmis de Palombes.
    upload_2018-3-20_14-56-3.png upload_2018-3-20_14-56-11.png
    Not a post you expect to be published by a practically life-long vegetarian, but the many berets worn by the hunters certainly justify a post on The Beret Project.
    Jean Barrère (on all the pictures shown here) was 'Champion de France 2009' and 'Champion du Monde 2011'. What's more, you may well recognize Jean Barrère as the model on the cover of The Inspector Cluzo's CD Gasconna Rocks!
    upload_2018-3-20_14-58-32.png
    More news from the other side of the border: the new stock by Boinas Elósegui is in!

After a long absence, all the Txapelduns are well available again, in 34.9 and 37.2cm; better, I have the very last one in cobalt (UN-blue) in 37.2cm and five unique 37.2cm models in a beautiful shade of deep blue (5 only).
    upload_2018-3-20_15-6-57.png upload_2018-3-20_15-7-7.png
    The range of limited edition Año 1858 has extended and now come in 28, 30 and 31.5cm diameter, in their own gift-box with certificate.
    And last, more Exposición Hombres models in 11 colours!

upload_2018-3-20_15-10-16.png upload_2018-3-20_15-10-45.png
    And how do you like this old ad by boina sellers Boera Brothers from New York; a direct importation from sunny Spain?
    upload_2018-3-20_15-12-22.png

15. Daan

Daan Vendor

Boinas Elósegui may be one of the larger players in the berets field, but is by all means a small family business where every employee knows one another; it’s staff is less than half the number of French competitor Laulhère and despite advancement in technology, the berets are still largely made by hand.
    upload_2018-3-23_9-7-18.png upload_2018-3-23_9-7-28.png
    Here are some faces of the people behind your Elósegui beret. Above, commercial director of the company Ander Astigarraga (L) and Nekane, at the old weaving machines(R).
    Below operators Maria Pilar Larrauri and Ana Maria Cuadrado at the machines for overlapping (LF) and José Prado Kotte, in charge of the fulling and dyeing of the berets (R).
    upload_2018-3-23_9-9-51.png upload_2018-3-23_9-10-55.png
    Below Agustin Perez, in the process of shaping the berets (L) and
    Ana Pradin, in charge of sizing, revision and quality control of all models (M and R).
    upload_2018-3-23_9-12-20.png upload_2018-3-23_9-12-58.png upload_2018-3-23_9-13-8.png
    Some of the world's best berets, for almost 160 years already, and the only manufacturer left in the Basque Country.
    upload_2018-3-23_9-20-21.png upload_2018-3-23_9-20-8.png

foamy, ErikFid, RJR and 2 others like this.
  16. Kreissaege

ErikFid, Bouwerij_Jongen, RJR and 2 others like this.
  17. Nico

Nico One of the Regulars

18. Bouwerij_Jongen

Bouwerij_Jongen New in Town

I would really like to know the breed of the dog pictured with the pigeon hunting family.

[​IMG]

19. Daan

Daan Vendor

It is a Wirehaired Pointing Griffon (aka Griffon d'arrêt à poil dur Korthals in France and Quebec); a breed of dog used in hunting as a gundog.
    upload_2018-3-27_12-40-16.png upload_2018-3-27_12-40-23.png
    The breed is still relatively rare in the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom despite long recognition by their respective national kennel clubs, as well as the FCI (Federation Cynologique Internationale). The Korthals Griffon is particularly adapted for hunting in thick undergrowth and around water, where its harsh coat is excellent protection. The griffon is used primarily as a hunting dog for upland game birds as well as waterfowl.

ErikFid likes this.
  20. Bouwerij_Jongen

Bouwerij_Jongen New in Town

Thanks, I see they are known to wear berets.
    [​IMG]

ErikFid and Daan like this.