Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Berets, Anyone?

leftyguy

New in Town
Its catching on....
iuI5PPW5D9.jpg

foamy

A-List Customer
This 310 and some same sized Auloronesa's (different colors) get the bulk of my head time. I don't know, but they behave and wear as you'd like them to and they have enough size to be exceptionally useful. That, and the felt is hard to beat and takes a beating. They're the sweet spot in my beret collection. This one has been living in my car as my "go-to" for a while now. Once Summer comes along, I'll have to stop that.

Aotearoa.jpg

Nico

One of the Regulars
This 310 and some same sized Auloronesa's (different colors) get the bulk of my head time. I don't know, but they behave and wear as you'd like them to and they have enough size to be exceptionally useful. That, and the felt is hard to beat and takes a beating. They're the sweet spot in my beret collection. This one has been living in my car as my "go-to" for a while now. Once Summer comes along, I'll have to stop that.

View attachment 110636

The Auloronesa's are also my go to berets. I will be taking a couple with me to Antarctica in January.

ukali1066

Practically Family

foamy

A-List Customer
I wanted a nice small beret like Niven wears in The Guns Of Navarone, I did a google search and found this excellent hatmaker in Italy http://www.cappelleriamelegari.com/...Path=380_411_65&products_id=2900#.Wqvhk-jFKUk

Chose a 24cm in my size 58

It has a satin liner and a sewn in sweatband and is very well made for 15 Euros, ( shipping to the UK was 12 Euros

I have one of those in Navy, but with-out the sweat band. Nice little beret—my smallest. You'll enjoy it, I'm sure.

Daan

Vendor
An article in the New York Times on an aspect of traditional Basque culture -- and not one beret-covered head in the accompanying photographs!

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/16/travel/basque-cider-astigarraga-txotx.html
That would be blasphemy! But.., the first photo actually shows two txapela's framed behind glass on the casks of cider. Quite an honourable position, I'd say.
upload_2018-3-19_15-21-58.png

Mind you, most photo's in the article are taken inside and, although many Basques (and the odd New Zealander, for that matter) keep their berets on inside, many take their beret off indoors.

GrayEyes

Familiar Face
the first photo actually shows two txapela's framed behind glass on the casks of cider. Quite an honourable position, I'd say.

Framed! Well, one might see it as a place of honor or as stuck under glass for display. I think I'd rather see them on heads. Speaking of which . . .

Mind you, most photo's in the article are taken inside and, although many Basques (and the odd New Zealander, for that matter) keep their berets on inside, many take their beret off indoors.

This NYT article

has a few berets on heads, outdoors and indoors. That's more like it!

Daan

Vendor
This NYT article
has a few berets on heads, outdoors and indoors. That's more like it!
Yes, palombière. I published a post on this pigeon hunt a few years ago:
upload_2018-3-20_14-54-50.png
upload_2018-3-20_14-54-58.png

Palombière is a form of hunting, specifically hunting wood pigeons, in the southwest of France. The wood pigeons are caught on their migratory way from northern Europe to the Iberian Peninsula. The annual “harvest” is about 800,000 animals. It is a traditional form of hunting, mostly by men who eat and drink together in their dugouts. It has a great social importance in the country regions where this form of hunting is exercised. The pigeons are shot from there, but also lured and trapped with nets by using a “leader” (ie, a captivated wood pigeon). The captive birds are processed into traditional French cuisine such as Salmis de Palombes.
upload_2018-3-20_14-56-3.png
upload_2018-3-20_14-56-11.png

Not a post you expect to be published by a practically life-long vegetarian, but the many berets worn by the hunters certainly justify a post on The Beret Project.
Jean Barrère (on all the pictures shown here) was 'Champion de France 2009' and 'Champion du Monde 2011'. What's more, you may well recognize Jean Barrère as the model on the cover of The Inspector Cluzo's CD Gasconna Rocks!
upload_2018-3-20_14-58-32.png

More news from the other side of the border: the new stock by Boinas Elósegui is in!

After a long absence, all the Txapelduns are well available again, in 34.9 and 37.2cm; better, I have the very last one in cobalt (UN-blue) in 37.2cm and five unique 37.2cm models in a beautiful shade of deep blue (5 only).
upload_2018-3-20_15-6-57.png
upload_2018-3-20_15-7-7.png

The range of limited edition Año 1858 has extended and now come in 28, 30 and 31.5cm diameter, in their own gift-box with certificate.
And last, more Exposición Hombres models in 11 colours!

upload_2018-3-20_15-10-16.png
upload_2018-3-20_15-10-45.png

And how do you like this old ad by boina sellers Boera Brothers from New York; a direct importation from sunny Spain?
upload_2018-3-20_15-12-22.png

Daan

Vendor
Boinas Elósegui may be one of the larger players in the berets field, but is by all means a small family business where every employee knows one another; it’s staff is less than half the number of French competitor Laulhère and despite advancement in technology, the berets are still largely made by hand.
upload_2018-3-23_9-7-18.png
upload_2018-3-23_9-7-28.png

Here are some faces of the people behind your Elósegui beret. Above, commercial director of the company Ander Astigarraga (L) and Nekane, at the old weaving machines(R).
Below operators Maria Pilar Larrauri and Ana Maria Cuadrado at the machines for overlapping (LF) and José Prado Kotte, in charge of the fulling and dyeing of the berets (R).
upload_2018-3-23_9-9-51.png
upload_2018-3-23_9-10-55.png

Below Agustin Perez, in the process of shaping the berets (L) and
Ana Pradin, in charge of sizing, revision and quality control of all models (M and R).
upload_2018-3-23_9-12-20.png
upload_2018-3-23_9-12-58.png
upload_2018-3-23_9-13-8.png

Some of the world's best berets, for almost 160 years already, and the only manufacturer left in the Basque Country.
upload_2018-3-23_9-20-21.png
upload_2018-3-23_9-20-8.png

Daan

Vendor
I would really like to know the breed of the dog pictured with the pigeon hunting family.

upload_2018-3-20_14-56-11-png.111192
It is a Wirehaired Pointing Griffon (aka Griffon d'arrêt à poil dur Korthals in France and Quebec); a breed of dog used in hunting as a gundog.
upload_2018-3-27_12-40-16.png
upload_2018-3-27_12-40-23.png

The breed is still relatively rare in the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom despite long recognition by their respective national kennel clubs, as well as the FCI (Federation Cynologique Internationale). The Korthals Griffon is particularly adapted for hunting in thick undergrowth and around water, where its harsh coat is excellent protection. The griffon is used primarily as a hunting dog for upland game birds as well as waterfowl.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ