Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Besame cosmetics

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
Ooh, I love that there are samples now. I've been so tempted but I would really hate to buy something and have the color not work out.

Heh. I already have a pretty full makeup wardrobe, but I've been thinking of switching my daily schedule so that I go to the gym every day before work, and if I do that I'll have to shower and do makeup at the gym near my office. That way I'd have to keep makeup and such things in my gym locker, so I'd clearly need another mini-wardrobe to keep there so I had my normal stuff at home. I really love the idea of my lockermate thinking I always use glamorous makeup in fabulous little cases! ^_^ Those compacts in particular seem fabulous.

I heard it was also available at Bendel's. Does anyone know if it still is available there?

xoxo,
BV

Etienne

A-List Customer
I followed a link someone posted awhile back about 40's cosmetics, etc. and I wound up finding a class to take in Los Angeles that uses Bessame cosmetics, I believe. They also teach how to do 40's hairstyles and suggest you bring a photo along of the style you want them to teach you. I'm going on May 7th and wondered if anyone else in the lounge is taking that class or has taken it in the past? I think they will probably have the samples there and I'm excited to see them!

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
I bought my first Besame products in December, and I have to say, even though they are small, they have lasted. The pigment is so strong that a little does go a long way. I usually use drug store brands so this was a splurge for me. I bought the foundation, which I just used up, the loose powder which smells wonderful!!!!!! The Cherry Red lipstick and Carmine lipstick and the Socialite Brown eyeshadow. I also just bought a bunch of their samples. Since their things are pricey, this is a good way to try something out. They don't give too much, but it's enough for a few applications. The Noir Red lipstick is really nice, I never thought it would work for me because it is so dark, but I love it!

magneto

Practically Family
Etienne said:
I followed a link someone posted awhile back about 40's cosmetics, etc. and I wound up finding a class to take in Los Angeles that uses Bessame cosmetics, I believe. They also teach how to do 40's hairstyles and suggest you bring a photo along of the style you want them to teach you. I'm going on May 7th and wondered if anyone else in the lounge is taking that class or has taken it in the past?

Hi Etienne, sorry, I haven't heard of the class myself... but do you have any info on who offers it/where it's given/etc? I couldn't find it online...basically I'm hoping the classes are or will be offered in other cities as well, this is what I've been looking for! Thanks...

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
I ordered my samples this morning and I ordered a lot to be able to pick out the best matching stuff for me ;-) I hope it won´t take too long for the stuff to make it over the big ocean.... :rolleyes:

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
it arrived!

My lovely packaged Besame order arrived yesterday.

I got the trio, which is loose powder, a rouge and a lipstick.

Then I got samples. I should have ordered more samples.....in hindsight.

The loose powder is lovely, the puff is very luxurious and it smells all vanilla like...which is a big bonus.

The lipstick (I got Cherry red) is also really cute...and seems to stay on a long time and can then be touched up with a bit of lip balm since its very highly pigmented.

The rouge (I got crimson) is -so- concentrated....hehe I have a very rosy glow today! Perhaps I used a wee bit too much. :)

So far I am impressed. Will have to try out the foundation sample and the other liptsticks samples I got.

They even sent a very cute free handkerchief with my order.

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
Sound and Fury

I stopped by Bendel's on the way back from work yesterday to see the Besame line in person. It took awhile to find the display, but they do carry it. (It is way in the back, in a corner, behind a post. Not kidding about the post.)
All the samples were closed and I couldn't find anyone actually working there. (There was one girl who looked like one of the makeup ladies, but she was just sitting there.) I poked at a few of the open samples and picked up all the lipsticks to read the names. (Does it seem odd to anyone else that they didn't have a sample of Besame Red?) Then I hovered and looked around for like ten minutes. With no one running the display (which wasn't even on the table straight) I couldn't have bought any if I had wanted to, let alone get someone to put it on me and tell me about all the products. Eventually I got mad and left. (The women running the displays around me kept peeking at me to see if anyone had managed to sell me something.)

As I walked out from behind the post the nice girl running the Piaffe display asked if she could do my makeup. So I got in her chair and she was really nice so I bought some of her makeup instead.

(Piaffe was also in the makeup ghetto in the corner, and I think she could smell "I want to spend money and can't find someone to take it." on me). At one point she asked what I was looking for and I said "I actually came to look at the Besame line, but there's no one there." and she was like "Oh... Yeah, I don't know who sells that one." (It was *literally* the display right next to hers. Do they have a ghost selling that stuff?)

Harumph. I still want the makeup though. Maybe I'll try my luck again this afternoon. The eye shadows were really lovely colors. I love that the brown has such a nice shimmer.

xoxo,
BV

mandolynn

New in Town
I ordered some samples, it says only three applications, but its much much more than that if you know how to put it on right. The foundation smells so nice and it lasts so long and it looks very good. The lipstick (I got Red Velvet and it's very, very nice). I'm thinking of investing in one of the actual lipsticks once my sample runs out (I've used it at least 8 times and I still have a ton left. It seriously lasts a long time.)

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
The samples do last a long time. I got the Red Noir and Besame Red and both containers were practically full!

I got the Black Pearl eyeshadow to use as a liner and the Pistachio eyeshadow, which is such a pretty color!

Caledonia

Practically Family
Thanks to the Powder Room Ladies for the Besame link. Got the "Reds" lipstick collection and am amazed at how it works. The pigment is long lasting but what is more amazing is that the darker end of the 5 is just as easy on the eye as the "red" end. I've had to avoid dark shades in the past but these work. Also got Pistachio and Socialite Brown in eyeshadow, to cover the 30s and 40s, and they apply really well. Dodgy about powders and such as I have a fair and weird complexion that takes 2-3 combinations of anything to match up, but I might try it later. Overall, I would definitely recommend getting Besame samples.

magneto

Practically Family
Agreed, thanks for the announcement about the samples! I am ordering 3 of the red lipstick samples (Velvet, Besame and Noir)...I have an impossible time finding a true red because I have a olive-ish complexion that makes all red lipstick turn pink. Hoping one of these colors works, the product sounds promising.

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
I got my samples today! But I wanna keep themfor a "special ocassion" to try them.... I think I´ll wait till Sunday when I shoot anyway so I can see if they do well in photos, too!

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
Flawless Victory!

I went back to Bendel's today and when I poked at the samples someone ran off to get the salesgirl for me. She did my makeup and it was very nice. I bought Socialite Brown and Pistachio shadows - I love how smooth and shimmery they are. I also bought the lipstick in Besame red and the Bisque foundation. I was torn on the foundation because it is very heavy and not really for everyday wear, it is a little pancakey for my tastes, but it's perfect for a made-up vintage look so I got that too. The lady was really nice and she gave me the lip glaze in chocolate and some cards with candy advertising a Besame event in June (where I will evidently get free eyelashes...).

I think I'm going to have to go back for the plum and blue eyeshadows too!

xoxo
BV

JazzBaby

Practically Family
Just ordered some stuff from Besame today...really excited to see them. I love vintage makeup!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Besame is perhaps my favorite cosmetics line, because they really have their vintage colors down right. The texture and finishes are excellent as well; particularly the eye shadows and blushes. The Crimson rouge is a dead ringer for a 1940s blush, and if you apply it sparingly, will work on even the fairest of skin tones.
I adore Plum Dandy eye shadow, as well as Pistachio, Socialite Brown, and Shimmer Beige—the latter two are great staples. Peacock Blue was pulled directly from the pages of a 1939 magazine and is also top notch!

Here’s a trick to avoid a ‘pancaked’ look, while still giving your makeup a perfect finish: After applying your foundation, blot lightly with a tissue. This removes the oil while leaving the pigments, setting the color all day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider