Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Besame cosmetics

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
mysterygal said:
that is probably the prettiest packaging I've ever seen! Enjoy! (which I'm sure you will!) :)

Oh I've been enjoying it! I swear I've been feeling like a femme fatale all day due to this lipstick. I went into town and had a cup of tea at a cafe. When I checked my lips after they still had color. I guess I fantasize that Rita Hayworth wore this very shade when she played Gilda. :rolleyes:

As an aside, I had bought a Mac lipstick earlier this week and did not like the way it wore throughout the day. Besame is really high quality in comparison. My only teeny complaint is the teeny size for $18.

Caledonia

Practically Family
Foundations and Powders

Hi. Just got some samples of Besame foundation, powder, and another couple of lipsticks. Thought I'd share the experience if it helps anybody else. I'm fair skinned although not pale (strawberry blonde hair) but with a blue undertone and slightly prone to red cheeks (too many embarrassing incidents in my life and the blushes just stayed I guess). I got the three lightest looking samples, bisque, medium beige, and honey beige and none worked. Bisque makes me look like a ghost, medium beige turned me yellow, and honey was too brown, although I might try mixing bisque and honey. Also had trouble with the consistency. My skin is getting a bit older and drier and both the foundations and the powders made me look like my grandma! And I'm a few decades to young for that look to be a good one. The translucent powder is good though, and yes, it has that gorgeous scent. Sun kissed rouge is too brown, so if you need a pinkish tone I'd avoid that. Champagne in the lipstick is a really nice nude colour that I think would suite most pale to medium skins, but Coral I found brown and didn't like the gold flecks. But they did send me two Champagne samples by mistake, which I think is enough to fill a 30s compact lipstick holder, if I can get the original stuff melted out of it, so that's a bargain!:D

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
Besame lipstick is going to make me fat.

I've been testing out a hypothesis for the past 2 weeks. So far I am totally correct. Whenever I wear my Besame Red lipstick in the morning I get a free donut from the coffee vendor on the street who sells me my breakfasts. The first day I didn't wear it he said, "Where's my color?!" and I didn't get my free donut. When I wear it, I get the donut!

I suppose to stretch the examination I should try wearing other shades of reds and neutrals to see if it is the Besame Red specifically that he likes.

Very odd. (I have worn the shadows & liner every day, so it is definitely lip-specific).

BV

Etienne

A-List Customer
Wow! Looks like you've found yourself a winner! (I mean the lipstick...or maybe the vendor, too!?) What shade is it? (And how ARE those donuts???!)

Irena

One of the Regulars
BettyValentine said:
I've been testing out a hypothesis for the past 2 weeks. So far I am totally correct. Whenever I wear my Besame Red lipstick in the morning I get a free donut from the coffee vendor on the street who sells me my breakfasts. The first day I didn't wear it he said, "Where's my color?!" and I didn't get my free donut. When I wear it, I get the donut!

I suppose to stretch the examination I should try wearing other shades of reds and neutrals to see if it is the Besame Red specifically that he likes.

Very odd. (I have worn the shadows & liner every day, so it is definitely lip-specific).

BV

Hm...I have pretty bright lips without lipstick, so do you think I could get free donuts without the bother of makeup? Might be worth the move.

JazzBaby

Practically Family
Besame - thumbs up!

Got my Besame today - the pressed powder compact, a lipstick (Cherry Red), the loose dusting powder and some foundation and rouge samples and I must say, I'm very impressed. I put the lipstick on as soon as I came home from work and, six hours later after a huge plate of lasagne and several cups of tea it hadn't moved! Andit stayed even too, with no dark line around the lips from where the inside has started to wear away. Very nice! The compact is so dinky and cute, and I was also impressed with the foundation samples - good coverage, and I've done my whole face twice now with just the scraping on the sample lid. And there's still tonnes left in the lid - I haven't even started on the actual sample yet! The loose powder smells divine, and stays matte for longer than other powders I've tried, bearing in mind I have quite oily skin. I know a lot of you have mentioned the tiny size, but on a positive note, have you ever tried squishing a full-sized lipstick (much less a full-sized compact) into an already packed evening clutch? Sorry about the
long post, but I was just really impressed, and would recommend the high quality products and gorgeous vintage packaging to any other lovers of old-fashioned glamour and make-up!

magneto

Practically Family
JazzBaby said:
Got my Besame today - the pressed powder compact, a lipstick (Cherry Red), the loose dusting powder and some foundation and rouge samples and I must say, I'm very impressed.

I hope somebody who's bought the lipstick tube won't mind answering my dumb question--is the tube actually metal? I can't find info about the actual packing material on the website.

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
magneto said:
I hope somebody who's bought the lipstick tube won't mind answering my dumb question--is the tube actually metal? I can't find info about the actual packing material on the website.

I've got mine here. (Besame red- got the free donut again this morning). It certainly seems to be some sort of metal. If not it is a convincing fascimile. I can't really tell, but I can't think of what else it might be.

BV

dollfaced

Familiar Face
I must say Besame Cosmetics are so very lovely but pricey! I have 4 of there colors Besame Red,Red Noir,Cherry Red, red hot red. I think they are all very pretty but in all reality we are all buying because of the 1940's packaging it's unique yet a bit smaller then even the original cosmetics of the 1940's that i have in my collection.I Love the souffle foundation and reccomend it because i have acne prone skin this doesnt irritate or make me break out which is great. The only thing i did not like was the lip glaze it was sticky and when i opened it it was very stringy like cheese on a pizza when eat it didnt like that for the price it is or maybe it was old and by the way you can't exchange or return items from what i was told! You can find all the same shades at Mac or your local drug store at your Revlon counter and save money !!

Raegan

New in Town
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm thinking of getting some of the Besame lipsticks. I know you guys say they are smaller tubes than regular lipsticks, do you think they would fit in the lipstick holder of old compacts? I just got one from my mom for my birthday and I'd like to find a lipstick that would fit, so if they're small enough without being too small, I'm going to get a couple.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Raegan--they are as small as the vintage lipstick tubes I have seen. I am not sure if they would fit in a lipstick holder, but they are a nice enough product that it would be worth a try.

Incidentally, Besame has updated their Web site and will be offering a new lipstick in a 1935 replica case very soon. They have also added eye, brow, and lip pencils, which are available right now. I did hear that they are planning to expand their foundation shade range as well, which I find quite exciting :)

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
IMG_0636.jpg

This is an elgin american compact case and in the lipstick slot is my Besame lipstick case.

The lipstick area on this one has a spring that holds the case and the Besame stuff fits perfectly.

Hope this helps.

Denise

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails