Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BEST '40s tie series ever

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

You can keep your Dali ties. I'd prefer to have THIS: the '40s Panorama of America tie series. - http://www.geocities.com/knot.geo/gary.html

There's an interesting story behind it. The series of 48 ties -- each representing a state of the Union -- was designed for Raxon in the '40's/'50's by the noted American artist, Georges Schreiber. Schreiber traveled across all 48 states of his adopted country, having immigrated here as a young man. He produced WWII posters, magazine and book illustrations, fabric designs, fine oil paintings, and prints, including several for the Association of American Artists.

Dagwood

Practically Family
Thanks for posting this M.C.

What I really like about the ties is that the artist truly captures a sense of movement. Even the buildings appear to be in motion.

On another note, he certainly captures the essence of our agrarian heritage.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I dig on the spear fisherman one.

gary110399.jpg

Cheers!

Dan

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Schreiber was a very good artist. I've read about these ties and have lazily thought I'd like to try and find a few examples. Thank-you so much for posting them... though you are a terrible tempter of the obsessively aquisitive and my wife (the banker) may not thank you as much. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner