Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best beauty decision you've made?

Red Diabla

One of the Regulars
For me it would definitely be making the choice to wear red lipstick everyday- or nearly everyday. My confidence has soared, other people treat me with more respect etc

I also wear red lipstick almost every day. I don't think I have greater confidence, but I do feel a little more put together no matter how slovenly my clothes are! :D

babygirl...

One of the Regulars
I have always admired the woman that takes the time to pamper themselves, they always look so put together..Keep up the awesome work ladies! As for myself, the best decision I ever made was to stop caring what everyone else might think...lol!

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I can tell you what was the worse decision I've made (this year) - getting up on a Saturday and going to my hairdresser with no particular plan in my head, letting her be "creative" - ending up shaved halfway. :doh:

Every decision since that day is a well-though one. :D

therizyflapper

One of the Regulars
For me it would have to be
• not using shampoo and only water washing. My hair holds a pin curl set awesomely and is so soft and frizz free!
• wearing red lipstick and cat-eye eyeliner everyday (makes me feel so beautiful and people actually recognize me by my red lipstick)
• doing Burlesque and pinup modeling, it makes me feel so sexy and classy no matter what anyone says
• learning my sideshow stunts, since I have learned how to do these incredible stunts I feel so confident and beautiful especially when I am doing my fire arts and structure swallowing
• performing as a profession, it is a huge confidence boost to do what I love for a living and I makes me feel beautiful and independent

Hehe honestly the best beauty decisions I ever made was doing what made me happy! :)

WifeyRobinson

New in Town
The best decision for my beauty I ever made was my fiancé! When I met him I had no self confidence,mine had retired my vintage because those who had come before did NOT like me wearing it or getting the attention from it. They made me feel ugly, fat, and disgusting. He pulled me from that darkness and put me on a pedestal. He made me feel sexy, beautiful, and perfect just the was I am. I never have to change a thing for him and he adores my vintage clothing!!
After my fiancé.......my corset is my best friend :eek:

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
my corset is my best friend :eek:
I'm yet to find the "right one".

The best decision for my beauty I ever made was my fiancé!
Again: I'm yet to find the "right one". :D
(note here: [size=-1]this comment wasn't what I needed to see after a rather disappointing romance realization I had few days ago[/size]) [huh]

MissMittens

One Too Many
Deciding at age 15 to wear sunscreen everyday. More recently: going on the Atkins diet.

I have close to porcelain skin due to staying out of the sun and using sunblock my entire life because I burned so easily. Started with my parents and nanny, and I kept up with it as an adult.

I'm curious how long you've been doing Atkins and how it's working for you?

vintage.vendeuse

A-List Customer
I have close to porcelain skin due to staying out of the sun and using sunblock my entire life because I burned so easily.

Ditto.
And an old acquaintance who spent hours on the beach, laying out in the sun drenched only in SPF 2 oil, who admittedly had a beautiful tan all those years ago, now looks like leather-face.

elisabethm

New in Town
I started Atkins 2 weeks ago and have already lost 12 lbs. Of course much of that is probably water weight, but there must be some fat loss in there too! The most surprising thing about this diet is its strong appetite suppressant effect. I'm one of those people who loves to eat but on this diet I stay satisfied after a meal for a very long time. As a result I eat much less.

Totally agree on the tan look. It just isn't worth it.

Last edited:

St. Louis

Practically Family
For me personally, the best decision I ever made was to figure out my favorite and most comfortable decade, if that makes sense. At the same time, I don't want to present an eccentric or attention-getting appearance. This is a balancing act and takes thought & planning.

I stopped reading modern beauty and fashion magazines years ago and gradually regained a sense of confidence and integrity. No judgment on people who enjoy such reading material, but for me, they were downright harmful to my self-esteem and to my sense of priorities. After the fifty thousandth article on "body problem areas" or on "what he thinks of your third left toenail" I realized that I had to figure some things out for myself and damn the torpedoes.

I'm not saying this was an overnight success story or that I'm completely over the self-image issues. But once I figured out "who" I wanted to be (at least in my overall look & style) I was able to let go of a lot of magazine-induced stress. These days I'm comfortable aiming for a nice, quiet, late-1930s middle-class middle-age middle-west appearance. I don't have to fret too much about perfect hair (total impossibility) or perfect figure (hahahaha) and I tend to look reasonably neat and dignified most of the time.

I'm not saying that I have the whole thing down perfectly, because I know I don't -- I'm sure that I'm too casual for a "real" 1939 look (socks and oxfords or keds instead of hosiery, e.g.) but that's still more dressed than jeans & T-shirts.

BettyMaraschino

Familiar Face
For me personally, the best decision I ever made was to figure out my favorite and most comfortable decade, if that makes sense. At the same time, I don't want to present an eccentric or attention-getting appearance. This is a balancing act and takes thought & planning.

I stopped reading modern beauty and fashion magazines years ago and gradually regained a sense of confidence and integrity. No judgment on people who enjoy such reading material, but for me, they were downright harmful to my self-esteem and to my sense of priorities. After the fifty thousandth article on "body problem areas" or on "what he thinks of your third left toenail" I realized that I had to figure some things out for myself and damn the torpedoes.

I'm not saying this was an overnight success story or that I'm completely over the self-image issues. But once I figured out "who" I wanted to be (at least in my overall look & style) I was able to let go of a lot of magazine-induced stress. These days I'm comfortable aiming for a nice, quiet, late-1930s middle-class middle-age middle-west appearance. I don't have to fret too much about perfect hair (total impossibility) or perfect figure (hahahaha) and I tend to look reasonably neat and dignified most of the time.

I'm not saying that I have the whole thing down perfectly, because I know I don't -- I'm sure that I'm too casual for a "real" 1939 look (socks and oxfords or keds instead of hosiery, e.g.) but that's still more dressed than jeans & T-shirts.

I can echo this whole heartedly! I stopped reading magazines a while back. But recently my downfall was I lost my job. Ive slipped back into jeans and vest top every day. I realised last week that this is probably why I feel down - I dont feel I look like myself.
So over the weekend Ive drawn up a list of basics to sew and purchace, covering summer and winter.

So my best beauty decision is - No more jeans and vest tops! and no more thinking Id be happier if XYZ. Dress better and feel better. I know what I like so why dress in something I don't like.

Frk.W

New in Town
Sunscreen, easily. My face does not look my age. Reading art and costume history helped me reject the narrow, normative current beauty standard in favour of a more open and liberated way of looking at the idea of beauty, style and body image, that would be number two on the list. The possibilities are endless.

Also investing some money in getting occasional facial treatments with a professional for my still acne-prone skin, and investing a lot of time in becoming a decent seamstress, so I can make clothes that fit properly.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Running. Great for the waist and the anxiety I suffer.
Sewing. Particularly opening myself up to pretty much all the decades from the 20s to the 70s and doing myself up accordingly. For a while I was only sewing 30s and 40s.
Growing out my bob and bangs. Had that hairstyle since 2001! I started growing it out in 2013 and it's nearly to my bra strap. I like this length and may keep it. I can do perfect late 30s hair, 40s rolls, 50s barrel curls, 60s beehive, 70s parted in the middle. I can even do a faux-bob finger wave! Love it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB