Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best beauty decision you've made?

Veronica

New in Town
- Finding THE brand that solves all the problems I have with my weird skin since forever.

- Using natural and home-made products, from shampoo to perfume

- Being professionnaly waxed : painful, futile, expensive (for my budget at least)...well yes...but smooth skin makes wonders on my self-confidence ^^.

- Learning how to properly use an eyeliner

CherryWry

One of the Regulars
I just bobbed my hair after growing it out for a year and a half. I feel like myself again. No matter what else I try, nothing suits me as well as a chin-length bob with bangs.

I've also noticed that with shorter hair, I tend to attract a different caliber of man. Perfectly happy with the current model, but I find it interesting.

D

Deleted member 12480

Antje said:
What is the best difference you had since switching?

the pads soak up my witch hazel too much, now when i clean my face with cotton balls my face feels a lot 'cleaner' and less like there is still residue(?) or something left on it.

xx

Rica Bloom

New in Town
For me - letting my eyebrows stay thick. I keep them plucked to start by the inside corner of my eyes, but I definitely only sculpt them now and I don't pluck them thin. I've noticed that full brows look much younger and more flattering. I can still have that shapely Marilyn Monroe shape to them without removing much at all.

Also, keeping my hair soft. I tend to do a little bit of a Veronica Lake style when I go 40s-ish vintage, but unless I keep it relatively loose and soft, it just looks way too severe and a bit costumy, especially if I wear it with the lips and the liquid liner. Most updos look too severe to me too unless it's very soft and held more by pins than by setting lotion and spray. Unless I want to do reenactment or I want to be OTT for an event, I try to go for styles that could have come from any number of decades, and rely on making a great classic texture and loose curl pattern. My mom has worn her hair in similar styles for her whole life, and she looks really classic, not stylized.

The-Blue-Star

New in Town
The best desicion I ever made was to start taking care of my skin properly. Up until a few months ago, I had no discipline about it. I'd regularly go to bed and forget to take my makeup off and I'd wonder why my skin was terrible. Now I can't fall asleep until I've cleansed, toned, moisturised etc. My skin looks tons better.

Goldelfe

New in Town
Realizing that I don't loose my tomboyish quality while wearing dresses/skirts - and I even get complimented by my boys for that

But I also realize it's good to be a girl: e.g. if you oversleep you just wash your face, brush your teeth, make a ponytail and put some mascara on - out you go; you're instantly looking fresh and groomed even if you're wearing yesterday's clothes (boys look like Blah if they overslept, don't they?)

Letting my sidebangs grow out and not wearing my hair so much in my face

And loosing about ten pounds in the last year

dimples

New in Town
For me it was definitely plucking my eyebrows. I had rather thick eyebrows for my face but all the salons I went to said that I shouldn't take more than a hair line away. One day I just thought 'screw it', channelled my inner garbo and went crazy. And it has even had the effect of making me look vintage every day - even in my slob gear and my hair slapped back (not that I do that very often....)

The other best decision was to go to beauty school. Yes I was usually about 15 (20) years older than most of the girls there and certainly the only one with victory rolls and full red lips but hey. :)

Isis

One of the Regulars
Having regular facials. I started 14 years ago when I had some skin problems and continue to visit the same place. I have better skin now hen I'm 40 than I had at 25.

rue

Learning that I can wear red lipstick and not look like a clown. I used to white them out 60s style.
Using a light foundation because of too much sun when I was younger.
Cooking entirely from scratch instead of using prepackaged here and there has made my skin better and I lost a bunch of weight. I think that one is #1 :)

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
Finally embracing my love of the 40s and 50s- wearing the clothes, hair and makeup I have always loved but always told myself I was too ugly/weird-looking to pull it off...realising that confidence means you can wear almost anything and look and feel great! (Btw I have had more compliments on my appearance in the past six months, since I started dressing retro, than I think I have in my whole life).

ThePowderKeg

One of the Regulars
1. Switching to henna, which gives me a more natural, longer-lasting, better gray-covering red than any other hair color.
2. Taking the extra 30 seconds in the morning to put sunscreen on my neck and decolletage before heading out the door.

jacqueline101

New in Town
I would have to say the best beauty decision I made was learning to accept myself. I went through some hard times and gave up on wearing make up, perfume, and being me in general. I would say I'm coming along ways. I have put on some of the weight I lost. I would say wearing make up, dressing up, and doing my hair. Treating my self like Im gold. Splurgeing now and then on things I like my eye brow waxing, hair perm, and something from the store.

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
Bangs!
I've had them since I was 15 or 16, and all different lengths/styles (bettie page, side, straight eyebrow-skimming, etc etc). They're so fun because they grow so fast, so I don't worry about experimenting with them.

Blush!
I used to think it was way too over-the-top/drag queen for daytime use, but I find a little spot of red on my cheeks makes a rather large improvement and helps me from looking pallid.

Katue

Familiar Face
Starting using vaselin around my eyes. I've been doing this only for a month but my wrinkles already disappeared. I was really surprised!
So I decided to start using it on my forehead too!

Forgot to mention switching from eye shadow to liquid eye liner.

Last edited:

MissLaurieMarie

One of the Regulars
I would have to say the best beauty decision I made was learning to accept myself. I went through some hard times and gave up on wearing make up, perfume, and being me in general. I would say I'm coming along ways. I have put on some of the weight I lost. I would say wearing make up, dressing up, and doing my hair. Treating my self like Im gold. Splurgeing now and then on things I like my eye brow waxing, hair perm, and something from the store.

I think that's the secret to happiness.
A lot of people think it's vain and shallow to be so concerned with looks, but it's all about feeling happy and good about yourself.
Some people feel best in sweats and a ponytail. Others like to doll up. It's all about doing what's best for you (without being a total hag to others, of course!)

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Getting my teeth fixed - I got four veneers put onto my top four front teeth a few months ago and I love them! I wanted to get something done with them for years but didn't really know what to do - braces wouldn't have rectified the issue so then the option of veneers became available - one day I just grabbed the bull by the horns and went for it - best beauty decision for me - EVER!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran