Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Crushable Hats

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Aureliano said:
I also own a new Christy's Foldaway and I'm loving it. A good, sort of dressy, light and comfortable hat. Mine has 2 1/2 inches brim. I rolled it once and, the very same night, got wet. It returned to its shape as well. You can see it here almost at the end along with Gene's jaw-dropping Borsalino.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=1915&page=5
Aureliano, I was just looking on Hornet's site and it does indeed describe the brim as being 2 1/2 on the sides and 2 inches in front and back. Is that correct? It seems very odd, and doesn't look at all like the Christy's foldable here:
http://www.amazon.com/Christys-Lond...r_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qid=1253589835&sr=8-1

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Aureliano said:
Yeah, that's odd[huh] . Mine is 2 1/2 all around.
Thanks, A, that is reassuring. I don't think I'd order that one from Hornets, but might order the one from Amazon or the Fedora store.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Blackthorn said:
Thanks, A, that is reassuring. I don't think I'd order that one from Hornets, but might order the one from Amazon or the Fedora store.

You're welcome. I got it from the fedora store during the summer and it was cheaper than now (I think I paid $168). I think the hat is worth its price.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Aureliano said:
You're welcome. I got it from the fedora store during the summer and it was cheaper than now (I think I paid $168). I think the hat is worth its price.
And if I read that right, you ordered one size smaller than you actuall wear?

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Blackthorn said:
And if I read that right, you ordered one size smaller than you actuall wear?

I thought that Duane ( fedora store owner ) had sent me a smaller size but it turned out to be that the size on the hat was British. It's actually a 7 1/8. But let me add this: I had to put a little bit of felt under the sweat because it was ever so slightly too big. Hope that helps.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Aureliano said:
I thought that Duane ( fedora store owner ) had sent me a smaller size but it turned out to be that the size on the hat was British. It's actually a 7 1/8. But let me add this: I had to put a little bit of felt under the sweat because it was ever so slightly too big. Hope that helps.
It does, Aureliano, and thanks!

Neil

A-List Customer
Miss Hind. . .

From Hornet Hats wrote me back to say that yes, indeed, there is a mistake on the website. The hat has a 2 and a half inch brim front and back, very slightly narrower on the sides.
My Borso roller should arrive Friday. If it's not what I want, I will take Miss Hind up on her kind offer to send me one of hers. Incidentally, she says Hornet's custom-orders all their foldaways, and it usually takes the factory a week or so to churn one out, although she adds the Christy's people are unusually busy at the moment. Many, many colors available.
Interesting.

Neil

A-List Customer
Oh, incidentally. . . .

Aaron Hats wrote me to say they carry no crushable fur felt hats at all, only wool.

Neil said:
... Many, many colors available.
Interesting.
Very true & really hard to tell what the colors look like with the way they explode the swatches. The Burma looks brownish olive & can't tell difference in Cork & Light Sable. They have a Light Grey & Grey Mix but no plain Grey... [huh]
Anybody have hats in any of these colors?

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
My foldaway is burma which is, as you put it, a brownish olive. More olive than brown though. I think Metropod has a grey, made to order foldaway in classifieds.

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
Crushable? Well...no. Ok, one could crush...any hat but there's no point to it.
Here's a Borsalino, a velour, wine color, I bought in Florence back around 1982. The inside states "Ardilla" (meaning "squirrel") but I don't believe that refers to the origin of the felt. I haven't the slightest idea what kind of felt it is, originally it was -I believe- a woman's hat, but I'm not sure. One hatter (a woman making woman's hats) in fact told me it was some kind of wool fur. I'm really not sure... The hat (and I have three of them, one wine, one dark brown and the third dark grey) is extremely pliable, soft and supple. No need for steam to bash it to another shape; it's perfectly possible by hand. I'm very mixed up about the "quality factor". In all objectivity, I think it's a very good hat. Have a look:

IMG_1399.jpg

IMG_1398.jpg

IMG_1400.jpg

BTW, I'd much appreciate if any of our members knowledgeable in Borsalino hats could provide some more information about this type of hat...

Pablo

sproily

Practically Family
Hey all,

I recently aquired this Borsalino.. And began wondering if it is a crushable model

Can someone tell me? It says only that its water resistant fur felt and the hair is quite long.

borsas.jpg

As you can see it's been blocked a teardrop.

If it is a crushable hat, how exactly does it work? How does one crush it?

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
I have one coming...

gtdean48 said:
Very true & really hard to tell what the colors look like with the way they explode the swatches. The Burma looks brownish olive & can't tell difference in Cork & Light Sable. They have a Light Grey & Grey Mix but no plain Grey... [huh]
Anybody have hats in any of these colors?
I ordered the foldaway fedora in light sable, two weeks ago. I don't know how long it'll take to get from England to California, but when it gets here I'll try to get some good pics of the color and post them here.

I wish all hatmakers offered the wide variety of colors these guys offer.

Aerol

A-List Customer
sproily said:
Hey all,

I recently aquired this Borsalino.. And began wondering if it is a crushable model

Can someone tell me? It says only that its water resistant fur felt and the hair is quite long.

borsas.jpg

As you can see it's been blocked a teardrop.

If it is a crushable hat, how exactly does it work? How does one crush it?

I have a Borsalino Traveler model with the same sweatband. It's very packable. I just pop out the crease, lower the brim, and roll.

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Stetson Stowaway

This little grey Stetson that I picked up on ebay arrived today.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200389346800&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

The pleasant surprise is that, not only is it in great condition, but it's a crushable - aptly named the Stetson Stowaway. The tag under the cloth sweat tells me that it's colour is caribou and the original price was $14.95. The retailer was Southcomb in Baltimore.

The key-shaped size tag has the United Hat & Millinary Workers International Union badge on the reverse. The oval box (assuming it's original) is similar to the one my 1958 Stetson Trilby came in.

The felt is wonderfully light and pliable and can be crushed into a tight ball and will bounce back into whatever crease you want to give it.

I know Mallory has a Stowaway, but I've not seen another Stetson by that name. Anyone else got one of these?

As for age, it's the post 1952 Stetson logo. My guess is 60's - but what do I know.

tommyK

One Too Many
Moon, You can roll up any of the new Borsalino's that don't have reeded sweatbands

here's my bellagio (I think you have one of these?)

7fb9c51c-baf5-4e12-815f-ccec7cfab23f_zps2la8nyej.jpg be67ba8d-d25a-4c3d-b94f-304d6f612645_zpsmafoa5pw.jpg
This is rolled up and after, goes right back to shape

I wouldn't store it this way but I've done this to this hat a dozen times and it hasn't done any harm

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24