Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best doggie names ever

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I'm watching Turner Crack Movies. They're playing Merrily We Live (1938), a light Hal Roach screwball directed by Norman Maine, oops, I mean McLeod.

Anyway, Benita Granville comes into the room with 2 floppy eared Great Danes and introduces them to dashing Brian Aherne thusly:

"This dog's name is Get Off The Rug.
And this one's name is You Too."

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Just finished watching Merrily We Live a few moments ago. Had me laughing throughout, so I ordered it from TCM's website.

Great names for those dogs. I've always thought a good name for a dog would be, C'Mere. Another would be, Stay, like comedian Steven Wright claimed to have given his dog.

And a friend of my brother's who'd named his cat, C.R. If you asked, "What's C.R. stand for", he'd point to the cat and say, "See our cat?"

Lee

Who once had cats named John Doe and Jane Doe.

Cobden

Practically Family
I knew someone who was planning to name their dog "Piper Alpha" on account of it having three legs and going "woof"!

Nashoba

One Too Many
Had friends once that named their Shepherd 'Hey Dog'

My dad always named our pets growing up. We had a yellow canary named tweety, a white guinea pig named harvey (my dad was bitter we didn't get the white rabbit he wanted, it was his way of constantly reminding my mother). Another guinea pig named melody (she never stopped squaking) and dogs named Barney, Freddie, and Crystal.

My dog's name is Maverick Q.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Tomasso said:
:eusa_clap The first inside joke I've ever gotten around here. :eusa_doh:
You have seen A Star Is Born, too, I take it?
If it gets a smile out of Lizzie, my work is done.

Correction: I referred to Bonita Granville as "Benita". It was late and I was tired. It won't happen again.

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
Read a young adult book ages ago where a cat was named, "S.O.B." One of those things I probably never would have remembered, but this thread has dredged up.

I personally love animals who are given first and last names, and always addressed with both. In that book, "Life of Pi," a tiger was named Richard Parker. I wasn't a fan of the book, but that one thing has always stuck with me.

I had a Russian teacher once named, "Liliya Leonidnovna." I've always pictured that as a good cat's name.

What was the name of Jimmy Stewart's beer drinking dog in Anatomy of a Murder?

Feraud

Bartender
While not particularly glamourous or witty, I have always wanted an Australian cattle dog named "Mate".
roadwarrior.jpg

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
The dog we had when I was growing up was a German Shepherd/Border Collie mix. We named her Bonnie Lass. She was a great dog.... lived to be 19!

Barbigirl

Practically Family
Doggies

I had a black labrador growing up named Melanie L. Barker. (Melanie means "one with dark hair, L. was for Loud)

And I had a brindle striped boxer named Roxanne Tigerlily Von Donovan.

Both went by nicknames, Mellie and Roxie.

Flieger

Practically Family
Anyone here read Andrew Vachss?

His modern noir hero, Burke has a "puppy" who is first described like this:

"... she's a Neapolitan mastiff - about 140 pounds of vicious muscle and dumb as a brick. If her entire brain was high-quality cocaine, it wouldn't retail for enough to buy a decent meal. But she knows how to do her work, which is more then you can say for a lot of fools who went to Harvard."

Her name? Pansy. lol

/Flieger

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot