Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best HOT CURLERS/ROLLERS out on the market

harvesthobo

New in Town
Hot Rollers

I got my hot rollers today... I'm kind of iffy about how I feel about them. As I expected there weren't really enough for my hair ha, so I had to kind of use them in a cycle, which I don't like because it's just a hassle really... They didn't make my hair that curly, either. I can get better curls out of my curling iron. Maybe my hair is too long to curl well in hot rollers, I don't know. Anyway, I ended up with results reminiscent of Marilyn Monroe's Last Sitting, which is nice, but I'd prefer to get more curl out of the first day than that, because it's only going to relax from there as the week goes on... I'd also prefer something that looks more 50s as opposed to 60s...

Hm... maybe I should just try Hot Sticks? ha

texasgirl

One Too Many
What kind of hot rollers did you get? I think the ones I have that are 20+ yrs old get a lot hotter than the newer ones, especially the felt covered ones. Hot sticks get really hot too, actually too hot for my wimpy fingers. I couldn't get them in.

Also, you might try a thermal setting spray, I use a Biolage one, that makes my curls tighter and last longer. I have pretty fine hair that is straight. Also, do you have any color on your hair? I think that helps too :)

The Shirt

Practically Family
aGHHHH! :rage: My favorite all time hot roller set died last week. I bought a replacement but am truly unhappy. I've searched and searched and realized mine have been discontinued. If anyone has a set of Remington "tight Curls" that they don't want - let me know! I'd love to buy them. My hair just likes the tiny rollers apparently. The new sets only seem to have 6 or so of them per set.

I may have to break down and try the hotsticks though I didn't think they worked well for me years ago. I know they have improved in the years since.

harvesthobo

New in Town
texasgirl said:
What kind of hot rollers did you get? I think the ones I have that are 20+ yrs old get a lot hotter than the newer ones, especially the felt covered ones. Hot sticks get really hot too, actually too hot for my wimpy fingers. I couldn't get them in.

Also, you might try a thermal setting spray, I use a Biolage one, that makes my curls tighter and last longer. I have pretty fine hair that is straight. Also, do you have any color on your hair? I think that helps too :)

They're a set of 24 Norelco velvet flocked rollers - they do give me curl but it's really more volume than anything else. My hair is also extremely dense though, so I think part of why the curls are weaker is because I'm wrapping more hair around each roller than what's considered optimal. I do have color in my hair, but I've only dyed it about 3 times (all pretty recently, though) so I'm not sure how much of an effect it's having on my hair texture. Hot Sticks seem pretty cheap on eBay, maybe I'll try some...

Also, I've heard of like a special heat protecting glove that you can use while styling hair, I think it's really more intended for use with a Marcel curling iron or that sort of thing, but I wonder if you could buy the glove(s) separately? That could help with the Hot Sticks being so warm. I feel like gloves could potentially hinder nimbleness though.

vampygirl13

One of the Regulars
My first try with my hot sticks wasn't a great one.

some questions:

* My set was new and my some of my sticks would just POP open for no reason. It's part of the reason the set didn't take well on one side. Anyway to get them to stay closed?

* I know part of the problem was that I was doing this with clean bed head, meaning flat and no volume. I have very fine hair that needs a blowdryer to see any volume. So I think I'll try this again with freshly blowdried hair.

* I left them in for about 40 minutes while I did makeup and the side that DID curl curled nicely.

I did brush out and that side also looked good. Just the other side was wonky!

Guess I'll be trying this again later this week. I seem to get better results from my Lock N Roll used wet!

Inky

One Too Many
vampygirl13 said:
My first try with my hot sticks wasn't a great one.

some questions:

* My set was new and my some of my sticks would just POP open for no reason. It's part of the reason the set didn't take well on one side. Anyway to get them to stay closed?

here's my hotsticks tips:

I let them get good and very hot - at least 20 minutes warm up.

I make sure when I put the end through the hole that at least 1 inch of end is sticking out - in other words, squish it down real good :)

I do find that any hot set (with sticks or rollers) works best on at least day old hair, not freshly washed hair.

Leaving them in 40 minutes is great - i've leave them in 45-60 minutes - just make sure they are stone cold.

It sounds like you got good results one one side - give them another go on 1-day old hair and see how that works.

vampygirl13

One of the Regulars
Inky said:
here's my hotsticks tips:

I let them get good and very hot - at least 20 minutes warm up.

I make sure when I put the end through the hole that at least 1 inch of end is sticking out - in other words, squish it down real good :)

I do find that any hot set (with sticks or rollers) works best on at least day old hair, not freshly washed hair.

Leaving them in 40 minutes is great - i've leave them in 45-60 minutes - just make sure they are stone cold.

It sounds like you got good results one one side - give them another go on 1-day old hair and see how that works.

Thank you Inky!

For me though---I will have to do on dirty hair or hair blow dried---it was just TOO flat.

Also--my bangs are layered, think I'll just curl them under?

LisaFreemontSt

One of the Regulars
has anyone used the caruso hair setter? I lovegerardo on youtube tried it and she has LONG thick hair. It just seemed like the curls were PERFECT. I'm anxious to try it since my Clairol hot roller set is literally 14 years old.

LisaFreemontSt

One of the Regulars
vampygirl13 said:
Lisa-

Just wanted to say hello and LOVE your youtube stuff. Just really need to practice so I can get your style!

Oh thanks so much, vampygirl. I need practice too! We can always improve and I certainly don't have much practice when it comes to different types of hair.

PS

A-List Customer
Ashley (Lisa) Are you referring to the Caruso Steam Setter? I've tried it but I have naturally wavy/curly hair that is prone to flyaways when exposed to humidity and all the steam setter did for me was make my hair very fluffy/downy without much curl, like cotton candy. It took some time getting used to setting my hair with it, not getting the roller too wet...etc .I tried it out of the box earlier in the thread and it did nothing. I've since refined the process but it still isn't what I was expecting.

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
PS said:
Ashley (Lisa) Are you referring to the Caruso Steam Setter? I've tried it but I have naturally wavy/curly hair that is prone to flyaways when exposed to humidity and all the steam setter did for me was make my hair very fluffy/downy without much curl, like cotton candy. It took some time getting used to setting my hair with it, not getting the roller too wet...etc .I tried it out of the box earlier in the thread and it did nothing. I've since refined the process but it still isn't what I was expecting.

I have the same issue with the steam rollers and your right the right amount of steam on the curler is crucial.. but I also added either a frizz serum or leave in conditioner with the water so that it could seal my hair and help with the giant frizz I would end up with :)
It has worked very well and I also notice a difference when I use tap water to bottled water.. seems my hair like the bottled water and so now I just buy the big jug at the 99Cent store and keep it handy for my sets.

I also saw that using end papers at the tips helps with the frizz.. I havent tried that out yet.. but I am going to ASAP.. cause anything to help maintain the frizz on this head of hair im willing to try ;)

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I've had a Conair set for nearly 10 years and love it. The only problem is that I have lots of hair and there aren't enough of each size. Conair doesn't make my model any more so if I wanted more, I had to buy used. I finally found a used set. My question is this: has anyone cleaned/sanitized a used set of hot rollers? What is the best way to do so?

MarieAnne

Practically Family
I found a set of Remington Tight Curls at Value Village yesterday for $3.99. They don't have clips though...anyone know where I can find some small clips, (the kind that look like giant hair pins.) I would like to sell them but I want to try them first, see what all the fuss is about.

The Shirt

Practically Family
Marie Ann - If they are the same as mine. You could purchase a couple replacement sets for one that are currently on the market. The small size of my new set would hold my remington ones in.

If you hate them - let me know and I could potentially take them off your hands. But alas - I think you will love them!

texasgirl

One Too Many
MarieAnne- you might check Sallys for clips. Seems like I bought some there once.

I am currently waiting for delivery on a set of Tight curls. I'll let ya'll know how they work out :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner