Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best motion pictures that won no academy awards

Naphtali

Practically Family
The title is self-explanatory. Let's begin with exceptional Americana.

"The Reivers" (1969) Steve McQueen, Rupert Crosse, Will Geer. This movie version of Faulkner's The Winton Flyer (sometimes known as The Reivers) is more entertaining than the novel on which it's based. It is the charming story of a young boy's growing up in Mississippi, circa 1905. The first automobile in the county, his grandfather's, arrives by rail. The car is put into the care of the county's black sheep. Boy and black sheep go for a joy ride when the grandfather's away on business. . . . And they're off.

"Will Penny" (1968) Charlton Heston, Joan Hackett, Donald Pleasence. Heston's career performance is the poignant story of a middle-aged cowboy's world changing, he being unable to change with it. Will Penny has responsibility of a young woman and her son thrust upon him during a harsh winter in high range cattle country.

LisaFreemontSt

One of the Regulars
The Last of the Mohicans w/ Daniel Day Louis completely got the shaft!! It's one of my favorites. And I don't think 'Giant' won anything...another of my favorites.

Barrelhouse

One of the Regulars
Nice thread idea Naphtali....this one could stretch on into the ages! Well I guess I'll start off with Citizen Kane. It is consistently rated as one of the greatest American films ever made but didn't even rate a nomination in its day.

But maybe this should go into a special sub-category of films that where sabotaged. Mr Hearst really knew how to deep six a thing he didn't cotton to.

kiltie

Practically Family
Flesh Gordon...

Actually, I just wanted to applaud your "user name" choice, LisaFreemontSt. Very cool.

But...as long as I'm here, what about Rear Window? That and Miller's Crossing. Those two are tied for my favorite, neither a winner. There is a book called "Alternate Oscars" ( or something like that ) that gives Miller's Crossing 1990's Best Picture over Dances With Wolves.

Naphtali

Practically Family
Let's go for shock value.

"North by Northwest" (1959) Cary Grant, Eva Marie Saint, James Mason.

"Gunga Din" (1939) Cary Grant, Douglas Fairbanks, Jr., Sam Jaffe.

"His Girl Friday" (1939) Cary Grant - AGAIN! - Roslind Russell. Not even nominated. Unreal.

"The Lady Eve" (1941) Barbara Stanwyck, Henry Fonda.

"The Americanization of Emily" (1964) James Garner, Julie Andrews. A wonderful black comedy about events leading to the Normandy invasion in 1944.

"Vera Cruz" (1954) Burt Lancaster, Gary Cooper, et al. One of the best Western satires. Excellent cast. Exceptional dialogue. Great fun. Bupkes!

"The Rainmaker" (1956) Burt Lancaster, Katherine Hepburn. Based on the stage play of the same name, wonderful Americana tale of hope.

"The Train" (1965) Burt Lancaster - AGAIN! - Paul Scofield. Perhaps the best World War II thriller.

I've given myself a headache. Time to lay down. But I'll return.

kiltie

Practically Family
Naphtali said:
Let's go for shock value.

"The Train" (1965) Burt Lancaster - AGAIN! - Paul Scofield. Perhaps the best World War II thriller.

Excellent list, but speaking of shock value: the end of "The Train"... intense! Good movie, and I hadn't seen it for years until it was on TV a coupla months back. I gotta get a copy of that one.

LisaFreemontSt

One of the Regulars
kiltie said:
Flesh Gordon...

Actually, I just wanted to applaud your "user name" choice, LisaFreemontSt. Very cool.

But...as long as I'm here, what about Rear Window? That and Miller's Crossing. Those two are tied for my favorite, neither a winner. There is a book called "Alternate Oscars" ( or something like that ) that gives Miller's Crossing 1990's Best Picture over Dances With Wolves.

Thanks, kiltie. Yes, I know 'Fremont' is misspelled. It's meant to be clever hint at my mindset. :) haha

Anyway, I have that book Alternate Oscars! It is one of my favorites. My favorite part is in 1939, when the author gives Norma Shearer (The Women) the oscar over Vivien Leigh! Bravo!! Shearer was FANTASTIC in that movie. Even the melodrama is deliciously underplayed so that it resonates by today's standards as well. 'After all, tomorrow is another day' and Vivien's sky-gazing...not so much. I know I'm gonna get ripped apart for that...:) But, there it is.

The Train is a phenomenal movie! I was on the edge of my seat!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Marc Chevalier said:
After Hours (1985). Do accurate dark comedies ever win Oscars?

Thats why I couldnt care any less about the Oscars. Comedies and Animation always get the shaft.

Speaking of comedies, Eddie Murphy's performance in Steve Martin's 'Bowfinger' should have gotten a nod. He was amazing.

LD

tbrunke

Familiar Face
Barrelhouse said:
Nice thread idea Naphtali....this one could stretch on into the ages! Well I guess I'll start off with Citizen Kane. It is consistently rated as one of the greatest American films ever made but didn't even rate a nomination in its day.

But maybe this should go into a special sub-category of films that where sabotaged. Mr Hearst really knew how to deep six a thing he didn't cotton to.

Actually "Citizen Kane" did win one Academy Award, it was for Best Original Screenplay.

kiltie

Practically Family
Ethan Bentley said:
Flesh Gordon... Is this a Sci-Fi film or some other kind?

"...some other kind?" :eek: Whatever do you mean?!?

Seriously, Wiki it ( you'll get the best explaination )... It actually has, uhh....value.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
tbrunke said:
Actually "Citizen Kane" did win one Academy Award, it was for Best Original Screenplay.

And it was nominated for eight others, including Best Actor, Best Director, and Best Picture.

LisaFreemontSt

One of the Regulars
Senator Jack said:
The Manchurian Candidate (original version, of course) No Oscars and only a Golden Globe to Angela Lansbury. The George Axelrod script is one of the best ever turned out of Hollywood.

Possibly the biggest error in Hollywood history was not giving Lansbury the Supporting Actress oscar for that movie. One of my favorite female performances ever...that kiss at the end....*shiver*

Barrelhouse

One of the Regulars
tbrunke said:

Yes, I really got the wrong end of the stick on that one. My apologies for relying on my noggin and not fact checking before posting. :eusa_doh:

Lorena B

Practically Family
What about the Heiress ( 1949) with Olivia de Havilland
All the brothers were valient with Robert Tailor
Scaramouche with Steward Granger, this one holds the finest sword fight ever filmed ( on my opinion and many more)
The Vikings with Kirk Douglas
And one of my ever favorites 1955 Land of Pharaons with a gorgeous young Joan Collins

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner