Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Overall Motorcycle Jacket

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This feels like a good moment to rant about a terrible clickbait article after the new iPhones came out, when this guy wrote a long article about how the phone's crash detection system basically traumatized his family, because he essentially glued his phone to his motorcycle and it went flying off with a hard break (activating crash detection and automating calls).

I was completely unsurprised to see that the guy who wrote it was motorcycling in a tee + shorts.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Interesting assessment and view.
IMO proper risk assessment is based on type of injuries and/or seriousness of the type of injuries. A gunshot to your torso would be more fatal than to your limbs therefore bullet proof vest. It is not based on percentage of skin surface. A head injury is more serious therefore a helmet.
If a person deems road rash to be the injury that he/she wants to be protected from then wearing only leather jacket without chaps is inadequate and irrational. That is because if you skid and roll, your 18% skin surface is left without protection and will certainly sustain 100% damage even though 45% of your skin surface may be unharmed.
Besides a pair of chaps is nothing compared to bullet proof pants.
To me, it is just a trade-off between looking cool and being safe.

Wait, so i should wear bullet proof pants on my bike?

MGfan

New in Town
Gypsy moth, I have a older Belstaff that I’ve thought about selling. It’s labeled a size 44 and won’t fit me anymore. I really believe it’s a little smaller than a 44. If you think you could be interested I’ll take some pictures of it and measure it for you.

Liveinstyle33

One of the Regulars
Websites that show death are largely motorcycle accidents, mostly in non western countries. The damage is often unspeakable to a normal audience, too disturbing. They are often complete evisceration, amputation and parts crushed beyond all recognition. Bodies even get separated in two and one section smeared for dozens of meters. But mind you, these are often totally negligent reckless drivers who probably don't even have licenses on roads that have little to no law enforcement. Brazil is one of the worst. They also tend to be dressed like the overweight, tee shirt flip flop guy posted above.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Websites that show death are largely motorcycle accidents, mostly in non western countries. The damage is often unspeakable to a normal audience, too disturbing. They are often complete evisceration, amputation and parts crushed beyond all recognition. Bodies even get separated in two and one section smeared for dozens of meters. But mind you, these are often totally negligent reckless drivers who probably don't even have licenses on roads that have little to no law enforcement. Brazil is one of the worst. They also tend to be dressed like the overweight, tee shirt flip flop guy posted above.

The very best way to survive is to avoid the accident in the first place.

That means training, control, and staying within your limits. Give yourself as much space and reaction time as you can. Stick to familiar routes and expect the unexpected. Always be focused on what you're doing. And don't do dumb sh*t.

Gypsymoth82

A-List Customer
Gypsy moth, I have a older Belstaff that I’ve thought about selling. It’s labeled a size 44 and won’t fit me anymore. I really believe it’s a little smaller than a 44. If you think you could be interested I’ll take some pictures of it and measure it for you.
That would be great, cheers.

Gypsymoth82

A-List Customer
Lots of great stuff here guys thanks. Lost Worlds for the win for me so far, but giving Vanson another look for sure. That Leather Togs A sounds pretty amazing.

MGfan

New in Town
7C7DD8D3-6B55-495E-844C-C080E667DEC2.jpeg
44A3966C-B515-4738-87DD-B87B4D2979BE.jpeg

Picture of Belstaff. It’s made in the UK.

The very best way to survive is to avoid the accident in the first place.

That means training, control, and staying within your limits. Give yourself as much space and reaction time as you can. Stick to familiar routes and expect the unexpected. Always be focused on what you're doing. And don't do dumb sh*t.

Based on your last sentence….I’m screwed.

To OP, way too many factors and it’s a personal decision. I love my Vanson Force and LW LTB to ride. Most Vanson and LW work for me. Bates ain’t too shabby.

Gypsymoth82

A-List Customer
With leather pants, like anything else, it's all about fit. I have a pair of lined Lewis Leathers pants from the 70's, and the cut is beautiful. That said, the only reason I wear them is for protection when riding, and because they aren't too tight.....

Sertsa

One of the Regulars
Regarding the accident protection, I recently took the basic MSF course to get my endorsement. I hadn't been on a motorcycle in decades and decided to add the endorsement when renewing my license over the summer.

The course was quite good, but one person in my class left in an ambulance. Even at parking lot speeds she had gotten pretty severely injured. From what I saw and could gather, the bike skidded and dragged her a bit, but the worst was a turn signal broke, and the glass went through the stretchy-type tight jeans she wore and did a lot of damage.

I've gone down on my bicycle at considerably higher speeds than she was travelling, so I saw how much more severely things can go wrong with a 300lb motorcycle and parts that can become shrapnel than with a 30lb mountain bike (although the spikes on my pedals can hurt shins).

Anyway, I haven't gotten a motorcycle nor a groovy leather riding jacket yet, so this thread has also been helpful for me, as I've been looking, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112