Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best route for custom Vanson?

VansonRider

One of the Regulars
I’d like to get a Highwayman with the quilting of the Colorado on the yoke, shoulders, and elbows.
Delete the epaulettes.
Probably/maybe shorten the front just a smidge, but not a super high priority.
I’d like to get this in a standard size, I’m not super tall or short.

This means adding the yoke to the Highwayman’s two piece back, and while it looks like the shoulder padding doesn’t intrude on the slant chest pocket, but I can’t tell for sure.

Would you go through Vanson, or Thurston Bros. for something like this? Is there a better option I don’t know about?

I do have an account with Vanson, they’ve done some alteration and repair work for me.

I also hear good things about their collaboration work being done to a slightly higher standard, but I don’t know if that’s just a rumor or speculation.

I’m very happy with Comp Leather for this. If I could have it made specifically with the thicker and stiffer cuts I would do it. I would be interested in seeing a sample of colors Comp weight comes in now. But the point is I’s use Vanson’s in house leather.

So where would you go?

VansonRider

One of the Regulars
And stock picks of the two coats.

This jacket here…
5AA9273B-1B1D-4A72-B551-7F6A46FFA167.jpeg

And the back
AFA6A924-23DB-4084-B0AD-17B72D3E1E13.jpeg

But with this shoulder quilting…
ABDF7A83-E3A3-4794-9D84-2AF35A44B1E9.jpeg

And this back yoke and elbow quilting…
086FBF7D-F2A1-4280-B708-91C1E6E57893.jpeg

So the yoke on mine would be a little narrower to fit within the full action back panels.

Let’s see if this posts…

VansonRider

One of the Regulars
why not just add the Highwayman pockets and epaulets on the padded CHP? Get X150 leather if they still have a few sheets left in the factory. Closest thing to CXL.

View attachment 555358
The back of the Highwayman, I just like it. I like the two panels that let the shape be more fitted than the one single panel, I like the laces for adjustability, I like the full action back and the stiffened kidney panel.

But I'll think on this. It's just an idea for now...

What about dropping the belt and belt loops?

This is the Technical Hardcore…
F1F02510-6769-4F11-849D-4B1421BAC6E1.jpeg

Ignore the back but the kidney panel with laces and no belt could take away some of the busyness?

JB1

Familiar Face
I have a jacket incoming in their latest comp weight and though I’ve only seen pics so far, the leather
Do you know if Vanson change their comp weight recently or is that generally speaking?

abone

A-List Customer
Do you know if Vanson change their comp weight recently or is that generally speaking?
I’ve got 6 Vanson’s in comp weight and every one is different. Four are thick and grainy, one is thick, flat and shiny, one is thick, dull and waxy. They range in age from 30 years old to now. All are excellent (haven’t held the latest yet). So not sure if I can answer your question 100%!
There is a forum member that visited Vanson recently and came away very impressed with what he saw. His comments are in the “Vanson, Vanson, Vanson” thread.

Reactions: JB1

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Would you go through Vanson, or Thurston Bros. for something like this? Is there a better option I don’t know about?
I would start by reaching out to Vanson directly. If it seems like they are on top of it and willing to take on your project then you are set.
I really like Carrie and Thurston Brothers but I would be afraid of some details getting lost in translation between you and them and Vanson.

VansonRider

One of the Regulars
I would start by reaching out to Vanson directly. If it seems like they are on top of it and willing to take on your project then you are set.
I really like Carrie and Thurston Brothers but I would be afraid of some details getting lost in translation between you and them and Vanson.
Thanks for pointing that out, it would be a little like a game of telephone.
But man...
I didn't think a padded highwayman would be so controversial.
Now I’m pondering a padded Brando instead. I’m not married to the kidney stiffener, but I really dislike the single piece back on the Colorado. The two panel back is so much more fitted. I do like the adjustability of laces though…

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for pointing that out, it would be a little like a game of telephone.
But man...
I didn't think a padded highwayman would be so controversial.
Now I’m pondering a padded Brando instead. I’m not married to the kidney stiffener, but I really dislike the single piece back on the Colorado. The two panel back is so much more fitted. I do like the adjustability of laces though…
I'd say go for it. It's what YOU want that matters...

And I think Carrie would do a fantastic job, so either way, go Vanson direct or through Carrie.

Last edited:

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
why not just add the Highwayman pockets and epaulets on the padded CHP? Get X150 leather if they still have a few sheets left in the factory. Closest thing to CXL.

View attachment 555358
I have Langlitz CHP's with full padding as well as the elbow-only padding, so a little "cleaner" upper look to it. Guess which one I wear a lot more? The fully padded one...Go Figure.... :)

1699327203324.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner