Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Sherpa lined denim / canvas jackets?

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Is that allowed by law, a no return policy?

Here in the European union Webshops must offer a 14 day return policy for internet purchases. They must also cover shipping costs of the return.

They will allow you to return it for exchange or store credit on your own dime. I'm not sure of the legalities, but it's unusual for the USA as well. That being said, I get the impression that they are a relatively small company, and the product IS priced significantly cheaper than most other USA made options (about 1/3 - 1/2 what others charge in my experience).

Perfect fit IMO. I'm your exact size in chest and waist so it's good to know a Large would be my size should I ever desire one. I have a normal Bravestar Ironside in a Large, unworn besides at a desk a couple times, and it is super long and rather roomy in the chest. Seems bigger than the site dimensions. I have been debating on whether I will try to shrink it in hot water and see if that does anything, but I am also considering just selling it for a Steadfast since that seems like a better fit, plus I like the Lee 101J styling more these days.

I've seen cases where a company will take the standard jacket and add lining, and the jacket will fit smaller than expected. This one surprised me because the measurements for the lined version are different than the measurements for the unlined version (as they should be, since the thick sherpa lining changes the fit dramatically). They're still sized small in spite of the fact that it appears like they really tried to do everything right. I should also note that the sleeve length and shoulder width are accurate, it's just the chest circumference that doesn't add up. I should try wrapping the tape around the whole jacket and measuring - maybe that's why their measurement is what it is.

I like the Steadfast, and I would have bought one, but I don't need another unlined jacket. The longer arms would be perfect for me. If it had a blanket lining and a corduroy collar, I'd already have one.

Looks perfect!! I’ve been wearing mine almost daily and I suspect you will too. How does the indigo version compare in terms of the weight of the denim? Having one of each is not a bad thing! You can avoid the tux-deluxe with both colors!

Honestly, the indigo denim doesn't feel much thicker - I was a **little** disappointed. The 15oz broken twill on my Ship John Ramblin Jacket feels thicker and stiffer, even without a lining. The color is really nice on the indigo Bravestar - it's darker than the pics on their website make it look. Oddly, I have more issues with the sleeve length on this one. The measurements are the same ( I measured both) but the arms feel shorter on the indigo. I think the selvedge will stretch a little in length if try, but I may let go of this one because of sleeve length. I should note that I have longer than average arms, and the sleeve length should be more than adequate for most people.

At risk of sounding weird, I did actually think of you when I first tried it on - I don't know how you can move in a medium. I thought you had a bigger chest measurement than me and I'd bet you have thicker arms. The arm circumference is just enough - it works with a layer, but it's close. The large is a very nice fit standing up, but it's bordering on restrictive when sitting in a car with my arms up on the steering wheel. It'll work, but any tighter and I couldn't use it. I would love to try on an XL. I bet it wouldn't look as good, but it might be functionally better and it might not look too bad since it tapers to the waist.

Last edited:
They will allow you to return it for exchange or store credit on your own dime. I'm not sure of the legalities, but it's unusual for the USA as well. That being said, I get the impression that they are a relatively small company, and the product IS priced significantly cheaper than most other USA made options (about 1/3 - 1/2 what others charge in my experience).

I've seen cases where a company will take the standard jacket and add lining, and the jacket will fit smaller than expected. This one surprised me because the measurements for the lined version are different than the measurements for the unlined version (as they should be, since the thick sherpa lining changes the fit dramatically). They're still sized small in spite of the fact that it appears like they really tried to do everything right. I should also note that the sleeve length and shoulder width are accurate, it's just the chest circumference that doesn't add up. I should try wrapping the tape around the whole jacket and measuring - maybe that's why their measurement is what it is.

I like the Steadfast, and I would have bought one, but I don't need another unlined jacket. The longer arms would be perfect for me. If it had a blanket lining and a corduroy collar, I'd already have one.

Honestly, the indigo denim doesn't feel much thicker - I was a **little** disappointed. The 15oz broken twill on my Ship John Ramblin Jacket feels thicker and stiffer, even without a lining. The color is really nice on the indigo Bravestar - it's darker than the pics on their website make it look. Oddly, I have more issues with the sleeve length on this one. The measurements are the same ( I measured both) but the arms feel shorter on the indigo. I think the selvedge will stretch a little in length if try, but I may let go of this one because of sleeve length. I should note that I have longer than average arms, and the sleeve length should be more than adequate for most people.

At risk of sounding weird, I did actually think of you when I first tried it on - I don't know how you can move in a medium. I thought you had a bigger chest measurement than me and I'd bet you have thicker arms. The arm circumference is just enough - it works with a layer, but it's close. The large is a very nice fit standing up, but it's bordering on restrictive when sitting in a car with my arms up on the steering wheel. It'll work, but any tighter and I couldn't use it. I would love to try on an XL. I bet it wouldn't look as good, but it might be functionally better and it might not look too bad since it tapers to the waist.
I’ve stretched mine out quite a bit. I was a bit nervous I’d rip it but it’s def better now. For sure if I could do it over again I’d go with the large. Medium works with a t shirt or a layer unbuttoned but that’s kinda dumb for a Sherpa jacket. I was able to stretch mine to right about 23” across the chest. Really the chest feels OK but across the back of the shoulders is where the medium feels most tight. Hoping the tighter fit will yield quicker fades as this looks pretty sweet when it fades to grey.

BFF5F1D3-857D-4783-A39B-89E013125EE5.jpeg

I don't think, it's wrong to add here. Wonderful sherpa hoodie Parka. I can just recommend this kind of Parka!

Wore it first time, today and it was a great windstopper.

PS:
Just a storebrand jacket.

Attachments

• IMGP7836.JPG
    IMGP7836.JPG
    263 KB · Views: 759
  • IMGP7837.JPG
    IMGP7837.JPG
    180.8 KB · Views: 796

powersci

One of the Regulars
I’ve stretched mine out quite a bit. I was a bit nervous I’d rip it but it’s def better now. For sure if I could do it over again I’d go with the large. Medium works with a t shirt or a layer unbuttoned but that’s kinda dumb for a Sherpa jacket. I was able to stretch mine to right about 23” across the chest. Really the chest feels OK but across the back of the shoulders is where the medium feels most tight. Hoping the tighter fit will yield quicker fades as this looks pretty sweet when it fades to grey.

@ton312 , as a fellow Chicagoan, can I get right of first refusal if you ever decided to let this jacket go? That pit-pit would be perfect for me and layering it with a sweater/hoodie.

Jules Myers

One of the Regulars
From those who have purchased the IH Storm Rider, how does this jacket fit a long armed, wide shouldered, slender guy?

From those who have purchased the IH Storm Rider, how does this jacket fit a long armed, wide shouldered, slender guy?
Many members here, including myself, bought and returned that jacket due to the (excessive) length. If you are tall enough and find it it your size it my be just right. I’m 5’11 and the xl fit like a chore coat. Not sure if they tweaked the length on the latest release.

Jules Myers

One of the Regulars
Many members here, including myself, bought and returned that jacket due to the (excessive) length. If you are tall enough and find it it your size it my be just right. I’m 5’11 and the xl fit like a chore coat. Not sure if they tweaked the length on the latest release.

Yeah, I read that you and Monitor both found it to be more in the realm of a car coat, right?

Yeah, I read that you and Monitor both found it to be more in the realm of a car coat, right?
28” length on a storm rider...it’s a damn peacoat! Did they shorten the length at all on the latest release? I didn’t even bother to look. Honestly it underwhelmed me all around. The 18oz denim felt a bit...weak. Expected more.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
So I was part of the Gang of Four (Monitor, Ton, Boyo, and me) who bought this jacket the day it was released and returned it upon receipt because of the ridiculous length.
And then a few months ago I bought it again...
I know, I know, it is still way too long but it combines two of my favorite things in this world: Storm Riders and IH denim!
With regards to your question, it might actually work for you depending on how tall you are. The arms are quite long and the body of the jacket is pretty slender, more so than the IH type 3 jackets I own. I have broad shoulders and I find it to be a little tight through the shoulders and the chest but still wearable.

Jules Myers

One of the Regulars
So I was part of the Gang of Four (Monitor, Ton, Boyo, and me) who bought this jacket the day it was released and returned it upon receipt because of the ridiculous length.
And then a few months ago I bought it again...
I know, I know, it is still way too long but it combines two of my favorite things in this world: Storm Riders and IH denim!
With regards to your question, it might actually work for you depending on how tall you are. The arms are quite long and the body of the jacket is pretty slender, more so than the IH type 3 jackets I own. I have broad shoulders and I find it to be a little tight through the shoulders and the chest but still wearable.

So you repurchased the identical jacket?

Sounds like something I would do, to be honest.

I confess I'm on the fence about the zig zag stitching up the center.
Little different but a way warmer and cheaper option is the Bravestar Sherpa. They sell out pretty quick too. The cone mills version is nicer than the black. I have both. The Sherpa on the indigo cone is nicer, more robust:
Sloppy pic but you get the gist.
6F756EDA-E077-474E-9052-6326166CC20C.jpeg

powersci

One of the Regulars
I know this isn’t quite what you’re looking for. Everyone on TFL by now knows I’m obsessed with shearling. So when I found a canvas jacket with real shearling lining I jumped on it. Only downside is thin lining in the arms and the front pockets. Wish they were slanted! And the jacket is more fashion than it is utility.

a06yCDYl.png

From AG. Jacket is always 40-50% off. I caught it when it was 65% off and snagged it. Not far off from the price of some of the higher end sherpa lined denim jackets!

https://www.agjeans.com/the-silo-shearling-lined-jacket-883875896936.html/

Other than that, I’m a big fan of Carhartt’s sherpa lined jackets. Here is older version of their Bartlett jacket. It has no zip on it, so wind can get through. But their newer version added a zipper to fix that. They also have them without hoods. Great utility jacket!

M9Jo6Nal.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner