Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Better Deal - Optimo or VS

Status
Not open for further replies.

elveston

Familiar Face
The big advantage of having a custom hat is having it made the way you want it. I told Art that tall crowns and narrow brims just didn't work on me. I also had reservations about the wider ribbons. So, he did a slightly shorter crown, bound the lightweight brim so it would go to 2 3/4 inch, and used a narrow ribbon which, I believe, works extremely well with the other dimensions. I reworked the crown slightly when I got it, and now couldn't be happier. Except I think I need another one in Sahara.

Attachments

• 20130630_123538.jpg
    20130630_123538.jpg
    657.1 KB · Views: 478
Last edited:

winter_joe

A-List Customer
Hi, Joe;
I can't help but be curious as to how and why the conformer approach Art uses didn't work. I haven't heard of this happening before, and can't imagine how it failed. What happened?

I'd rather not remember that dark spot in history for me lol but the problem was rectified thanks to art taking time to help me through it now my hats fit perfectly and don't fall off in a strong gust of wind. What I was offering was the big issue because I couldn't make up my mind of how I wanted my first custom to be lol.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am really enjoying the feedback/education provided here. I actually selected a couple of hats at Optimo, but wanted to check out Art's product. The pricing structure for the VS hat is definitely better for me. It seems that Art favors the higher and fuller crowns, as in the vintage hats. While at Optimo, Tiffany tended to steer me toward the lower crown hats. I made the mistake of not trying on the higher crown styles and doing a comparison. I am a tall guy with a slender build, so it seems that the pinched front, center dent style complements me better. But the lower crowns feel like they sit too high on my head. Perhaps I can give Art a call and get his recommendation.

Hi

I'm not sure which is better or worse, Art and Tiffany steering you towards their favorites, or a guy (not the owner) at another shop telling me I looked great in anything I tried on. At least Hatman Jack in Wichita worked with me on a hat until to quote him "I was wearing the hat, not the hat wearing me." 5.75 inch crown, 2.5 to 2.75 inch brim, my fedoras all match that measurement now. For what it's worth, I don't consider giving their opinions to be a downside...

For those of you who have seen my hats, the Rough Rider hats from Mike Moore and Tony B aren't Fedoras...

The use of a conformer isn't a one person job by the way. Art's is easier to use because of the rubber bands, than the one I got from Jaxonbilt. Jaxonbilt's instructions DID say to have someone else help you.

Later y'all

Last edited:

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
The definitive evidence....;)

The liner - VS has a back seam, more bulk, O the side seam

P8030017_zps9007fc1e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

P8030018_zpsb30b3019.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

job

One Too Many
Personally when I have spoken about $500 to $600 dollar hats my friends they tell me that is crazy and way too much to pay for a hat.
I guess a lot of us are so into hats that what we first thought was too much for a hat has changed over time.
I used to think that paying over $100 for a Akubra was a lot.

Last edited:

Mulceber

Practically Family
I am really enjoying the feedback/education provided here. I actually selected a couple of hats at Optimo, but wanted to check out Art's product. The pricing structure for the VS hat is definitely better for me. It seems that Art favors the higher and fuller crowns, as in the vintage hats. While at Optimo, Tiffany tended to steer me toward the lower crown hats. I made the mistake of not trying on the higher crown styles and doing a comparison. I am a tall guy with a slender build, so it seems that the pinched front, center dent style complements me better. But the lower crowns feel like they sit too high on my head. Perhaps I can give Art a call and get his recommendation.

I find it interesting that that was your experience, because I'm also tall and slender, but when I visited Optimo Tiffany recognized very quickly that I like and look good in tall, straight crowns with narrow-ish brims (ie. 30's style) and has always guided me toward them. I think it may be because I came in wearing a hat such as that, and made it clear from early on that those were the types of hats I was interested in.

Last edited:

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
What I would offer as my own concluding thought to this thread is that, if you're looking for a "deal," you can't go wrong by saving yourself some cash and opting for a VS over an Optimo. However, having paid for and gotten a wonderful hat from Optimo, I don't feel in any way that I was "ripped off" or that the Optimo wasn't worth the price I paid.

Mulceber

Practically Family
Yeah, I guess I'd say at Optimo, you will spend a lot of money on a hat that will be worth every cent of that money. At VS you will get a hat that is worth significantly more than what you paid for it. On that level, I suppose VS is the better deal. I wouldn't say, though, that your money would be poorly spent at Optimo, and I am completely satisfied with the hats I've bought from both hatters.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I think both hatters will deliver a beautifully made hat via remote purchase but whether the hat looks good on you is a different story.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
For a very funny and accurate description of a man chasing his own hat (I think it's the first in literature), see Dickens' The Pickwick Papers", Chapter 4. Wonderful book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko