Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bicycle Helmet?!

Viola

Call Me a Cab
My sister is looking to get a vintage bike. If she gets one I'm going to get her a vintage-infused helmet as a present.

By which I mean most likely a modern helmet, with a lightweight fabric cover. Or a safety-rated jockey helmet for impact.

But the covered modern helmet is probably less expensive.

Something like the Paris, maybe?

Don't know if I'm doing a brim yet or not.

I'm thinking herringbone, houndstooth, a smooth black velvet, khaki cotton, or gray tweed, but other suggestions gratefully considered. This will go over a regular, run of the mill helmet, though if I get ambitious I may look at using leather straps.

This will all go over a safe-but-cheap Toys R Us helmet because, um, budgetary issues. Does this sound heinous or cute?

Lamplight

One of the Regulars
I suppose I'll be in the minority here, but I've ridden many thousands of miles during my lifetime, and only wore a helmet for a few years of that in my mid-teens. I crashed the most during the period when I wore a helmet. I've also crashed while going 36mph without a helmet. I went over the bars, hit my head on the pavement, rolled over, and stood up. My head was fine, but I was missing a lot of skin from my left elbow. I now commute every day, in fact I don't own a car and I live in an extremely car-centric place. However, just because I choose not to wear a helmet doesn't mean I would advise anyone else to do the same. I would never tell someone it was stupid to wear a helmet, because it couldn't hurt (unless the strap gets hung on a truck's mirror). Of course, if your law requires you to wear one, then you don't have many options. I say just get a basic bike helmet, wear it the mile to work, then take it off. Luckily you don't have to wear it while working, unless you're paranoid. :D

Edward

Bartender
I have excavated this old thread again as I'm planning to buy a bike this Summer and take to the road - at least for recreational purposes, though if it goes well I may consider cycling to work in better weather. I plan to buy myself one of these lovely creatures from www.flyingpigeon.co.uk:

Flying%20Pigeon%20PA06.jpg

I am thus casting around for a suitable helmet. Alas, it seems that the Yakkay people have ceased production of the Deerstalker (although perhaps just as well, what a terrible faux pas that would have been in town!). I am considering a traditional horse-riding helmet, though the lack of ventilation might be an issue. Anyone have any experience of this? A Polo helmet may also be an option; those are ventilated, but the only one on the market that seems to conform to the same official safety standards is a touch on the pricey side.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Wearing a bicycle helmet is like wearing a double knot polyester suit; ridiculous. I never wore either and won't. I remember when I was a kid and my Uncle bought me a skate board and my Mother insisted I get a helmet and pads. The helmet, pads and skate board all sat in the shed in the backyard.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Still recovering from a bike accident a month ago. Car clipped me from behind. Didn't even see a thing, hear a thing, don't remember it. Fell head first over handlebars, wasn't wearing a helmet. THANKS TO SOMETHING DIVINE, am ok apart from knee injury, just a little memory loss.

As long as this thread has been resurrected, I thought I'd comment on this.

It was mentioned earlier in this thread about riding with traffic, and not against it. I, for one, feel much safer riding so I can see cars coming at me, and that means against traffic. Think about it. Cars move so much faster than bicycles that you're going to get seriously injured whether you get whapped from the back for front. When I'm riding with traffic, I can't see what's coming up behind me. When I ride against traffic, I can monitor traffic and have plenty of time to get out of the way. I jog the same way - against traffic. I absolutely cannot stand cars brushing by me when I'm running, or riding.

Also, I do not wear a helmet when riding on the street - never have. However, when I began trail riding, I bought a helmet, and wear it every time, with gloves.

JimWagner

Practically Family
It was mentioned earlier in this thread about riding with traffic, and not against it. I, for one, feel much safer riding so I can see cars coming at me, and that means against traffic. Think about it. Cars move so much faster than bicycles that you're going to get seriously injured whether you get whapped from the back for front. When I'm riding with traffic, I can't see what's coming up behind me. When I ride against traffic, I can monitor traffic and have plenty of time to get out of the way. I jog the same way - against traffic. I absolutely cannot stand cars brushing by me when I'm running, or riding.

Also, I do not wear a helmet when riding on the street - never have. However, when I began trail riding, I bought a helmet, and wear it every time, with gloves.

Then consider this. When you are riding against traffic you leave the oncoming drivers very little choice about what to do to avoid hitting you if there isn't enough room for you and the approaching vehicles. When you are traveling in the same direction (the legally mandated direction) the motor vehicle can slow down until it's safe to pass you. There's nowhere for the motor vehicle to go when you are riding towards the oncoming traffic. You expect them to stop and back up?

You may be forcing the oncoming driver to choose between a head on collision with another motor vehicle who has crowded the center line or you. I think you'll likely loose out in that choice.

PoohBang

Suspended
I for one, know someone who had a bike accident and I saw their helmet from the collision. They would have been dead or brain damaged if not for the helmet. So if you choice to follow your vanity, do so knowing what might happen.

Cobden

Practically Family
Then consider this. When you are riding against traffic you leave the oncoming drivers very little choice about what to do to avoid hitting you if there isn't enough room for you and the approaching vehicles. When you are traveling in the same direction (the legally mandated direction) the motor vehicle can slow down until it's safe to pass you. There's nowhere for the motor vehicle to go when you are riding towards the oncoming traffic. You expect them to stop and back up?

You may be forcing the oncoming driver to choose between a head on collision with another motor vehicle who has crowded the center line or you. I think you'll likely loose out in that choice.

In Britain (may not still be the case, but used to be when I was young) that you cycled with the traffic if you have front and rear brakes, but against if you only had one brake. No idea why

Big_e

Practically Family
Edward has to be a Fedora Lounge's 14th level wizard to bring this thread back to life! ;)
I use Limar helmets. They don't give you the mushroom look and I think I look good in mine.

me3-1.jpg

kyboots

Practically Family
Several years ago ago I was in a roller blading accident in which I was severely injured and most likely would have died if not wearing a helmet; Needless to say I am a strong supporter of helmets. If you are an adult I personally have no problem as to your decision to wear one or not.That should be your right. Just be certain and have a "living will" so you don't become a liability to the taxpayers, while lying on a ventilator for a year or two before you die. On the other hand if you have children, and don't require them to wear a helmet you should be stoned. Those people who died for lack of a helmet can't put their opinion on this thread, only those idiots who have survived and contine not to wear one; AND remember Pretty helmets or not they need to be proper quality so as to work.--John

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner