Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bicycling Hat

Ray-Vigo

New in Town
I ride old bicycles for fun. During most of the year here in MD, that's pretty easy to do because the weather is more or less warm. But there are some times when I want to get in a ride, but it's a bit on the cold side.

So, I'm looking for advice on what kind of a hat or cap would be suitable for riding a bicycle at a leisurely pace (say 10-15 mph?). I've heard people try it with fedoras, but I would imagine it would blow off or get some serious sweat action going on.

What about soft caps? I'm familiar with the common flat/ivy caps. But what is a "newsboy cap" and what is an "8 panel" cap? Are these vintage type caps that can still be bought? Does anyone have a direct comparison of how they look or feel between those three types of soft cap? Will they be able to stay on my head on the bicycle, even if it's a chilly, windy day? I'm riding either a balloon tire or an old 3-speed on any given run.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Quite a good question. I used to ride with an old wool eight piece cap yet it ended up drenching me when ever I took it off my head... wall of sweat.

Linen isn't as cool as people may think so a cap of that make would be the best in this case if you want to look vintage yet it's not the best thing to wear since it is hot hot hot when you are hot and sweating up a storm and if I didn't have the worry i'd wear a floppy panama, yet the brim blows up so high in the wind it is usually useless. Mesh trucker cap might actually do the trick yet it looks terrible unless you are really into the 1980s.

I'd say a cotton 8 piece without a leather sweat. One that can be washed. hope that helps.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
BE034440.jpg

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"Here in the swan River colony, by LAW!!! You have to wear an approved safety helmet, which unfortunately gives you helmet hair,that aside, a clever cove at a local market is selling "Novelty" Helmets such as a ww2 German helmet! they look frightfully good, there are various "novelty" other designs, there maybe a "Derby" will check on the weekend"

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If you knew someone who had a head injury, you wouldn't ask.
I'm all for vintage. Really.

But in some ways we have made progress.
A couple of years ago a friend had a bad
motorcycle accident, resulting in head injury.
I spoke for a while with the neurologist.
You just don't want to enter the realm of head injuries.
The best outcomes are not very good.

High Pockets

Practically Family
The most important thing you can put on your head while riding a bike is a thinking cap!!

I could never wear a helmet if I rode a bicycle,.....of course I wouldn't be riding out in the middle of a road designed for automobiles with my back to oncoming traffic either. We were taught to not do that in grade-school!:)

Carlisle Blues

High Pockets said:
The most important thing you can put on your head while riding a bike is a thinking cap!!

I could never wear a helmet if I rode a bicycle,.....of course I wouldn't be riding out in the middle of a road designed for automobiles with my back to oncoming traffic either. We were taught to not do that in grade-school!:)

Naturally I respect your position, after all, it is your head. However, I ride off rode and I have had several occasions to land on the ground. Glad I was wearing a helmet.

Moreover, it is not necessarily speed, traffic or conditions that requires a helmet. It is simply hitting your head. :eusa_doh:

head+hitting+car.JPG
OUCH :eek:

High Pockets

Practically Family
Carlisle Blues said:
Naturally I respect your position, after all, it is your head. However, I ride off rode and I have had several occasions to land on the ground. Glad I was wearing a helmet.

Moreover, it is not necessarily speed, traffic or conditions that requires a helmet. It is simply hitting your head. :eusa_doh:

head+hitting+car.JPG
OUCH :eek:

Double OUCH!:)

billysmom

One Too Many
My office window faces the ambulance bay of our Trauma Center. Believe me, I never get on my bike without a helmet and I require all my passengers in the car to buckle up before driving.

Sue

Dewhurst

Practically Family
Forget the stylish caps and fuzzy blocked felt extravagances in head-wear. Do yourself a favor and just wear a helmet.

Throw the flat cap in your pack or jam it in a pocket, but don't use it as protection for your cranial region.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
I second...er, xth - the comments in favor of helmet. However, I think a lot depends on where and when.

If it's very hot and humid, I can't wear anything on my head while cycling. I've had to forgo group rides in the past because of that, but I've also gotten very close to passing out when wearing a helmet. One time (I swear this is true) I stopped on a hill, dizzy, and after eating some salt it was about 10 minutes before I could remember where I was, who I had been with, where I was going - pretty much anything. I sweat like you wouldn't believe and can't practically carry enough water to keep up at times. Think a half gallon an hour.

But nearly all the rest of the time, absolutely - and the best of modern helmets ventilate quite well. On the other hand, consider a very rural flat road in western Chester Co. or Lancaster Co. PA on a weekend, never see a car all day, only buggies and Amish riding bikes - sans helmets of course. Risk evaluation in order here.

- Bill

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Woodfluter said:
On the other hand, consider a very rural flat road in western Chester Co. or Lancaster Co. PA on a weekend, never see a car all day, only buggies and Amish riding bikes - sans helmets of course. Risk evaluation in order here.

It does not take a collision with another moving object to hurt your head.

Rock...flips you over the handlebar and you land on your head....even -worse- if its a deserted road and you now are unconscious and your brain is swelling with no medical attention forthcoming.

Helmet on and you can sit up and call for help.

Carlisle Blues

Woodfluter said:
Risk evaluation in order here.

- Bill

* There are 73 to 85 million bicycle riders in the US, including 44.7 million over age of 6 who rode more than six times in 2008.

* 698 bicyclists reportedly died on US roads in 2007.

* In a typical year over 90 percent of cyclists killed on US roads die in crashes with motor vehicles.

* The "typical" bicyclist killed on our roads is a sober male over 16 not wearing a helmet riding on a major road between intersections in an urban area on a summer evening when hit by a car.

* About 540,000 bicyclists visit emergency rooms with injuries every year. Of those, about 67,000 have head injuries, and 27,000 have injuries serious enough to be hospitalized.

* Non-helmeted riders are 14 times more likely to be involved in a fatal crash than helmeted riders.

* Head injuries account for more than 60 percent of bicycle-related deaths, more than two-thirds of bicycle-related hospital admissions and about one-third of hospital emergency room visits for bicycling injuries.

* A very high percentage of cyclists' brain injuries can be prevented by a helmet, estimated at anywhere from 45 to 88 per cent.

* Direct costs of cyclists' injuries due to not using helmets are estimated at $81 million each year, rising with health care costs.

* Indirect costs of cyclists' injuries due to not using helmets are estimated at $2.3 billion each year.

* Helmet use in the US varies greatly in different areas and different sectors of our society. White collar commuters probably reach 80 per cent, while inner city kids and rural kids would be 10 per cent or less. Overall, our best wild guess is probably no more than 25 per cent.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred